Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #136 of 467

Quote:
Was wondering if the clip actually does sound better? Even when the classic 5th gen iPod is using a wolfson WM8758 sound chip while I dont even know what sandisk is using. Assuming that both are rockboxed so I can play FLAC files (even when clip can already play it). 

You are getting hung up on a $5 (if that..) piece of silicon - its all about implementation. If praise for the SQ on the Clip/Clip+/Fuze was limited to Head-Fi, I could understand your caution, but it isnt - this player has consistently stunned people from CNET to anythingbutipod.com. I have a DAP that I'm happy with, but I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on the Clip+ if my current DAP died, and I'm one of the nutters who paid over 500AUD when the Sony X1060 was released here. By contrast, the Clip+ sells for less than the cost of a night out - to me, that's a no-brainer.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #137 of 467
I just got one a week ago because the micro-SD slot my phone died. After hacking it with RockBox, I don't know how I went about without it (if you use large memory cards, it's practically unusable with stock firmware). For what it is, it sounds great. Everything is detailed, and lossless audio comes through nicely.  It sounds a little bit on the cold side in my opinion, but it does its job.

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #140 of 467
I would imagine both are pretty much for the much, as I think they use the same audio circuitry. Check anythingbutipod to be sure.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #143 of 467

Quote:
I did. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere there that the stock firmware for the Zip did sound better than the stock Clip+.

But who uses the stock firmware on either of them?

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #145 of 467

Quote:
Stock FW? Every edition of FW sounds different. There are some I prefer to rockbox and others I don't.

May i ask how that can be?
I mean, i think any player that's worth more than a turd should be able to output a bit-exact, true to the source signal to it's DAC, which would mean that if it has the same hardware, it should sound exactly the same.
I'm not considering changes in EQ and effect software, by the way.

Or maybe the average audio player isn't as good as i assumed it is?

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #146 of 467

Quote:
May i ask how that can be?
I mean, i think any player that's worth more than a turd should be able to output a bit-exact, true to the source signal to it's DAC, which would mean that if it has the same hardware, it should sound exactly the same.
I'm not considering changes in EQ and effect software, by the way.

Or maybe the average audio player isn't as good as i assumed it is?

it's been said on the rockbox forums that rockbox doesn't change SQ in any way (doesn't make it better or worse) - it provides diverse options for EQ obviously, but if one prefers a flat response, unEQed rockboxed clip+ and unEQed stock FW clip+ is supposed to sound the same. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #147 of 467

Quote:
it's been said on the rockbox forums that rockbox doesn't change SQ in any way (doesn't make it better or worse) - it provides diverse options for EQ obviously, but if one prefers a flat response, unEQed rockboxed clip+ and unEQed stock FW clip+ is supposed to sound the same. 

That makes sense - why would it NOT sound the same without EQ ? You aren't rolling opamps or making any other physical changes when you change the firmware - surely the 'default' sound sig will be identical ? I'm amused by the myriad of ways in which Rockbox is seen as a cure-all for pretty much everything, including warts  :wink:

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #148 of 467

Quote:
That makes sense - why would it NOT sound the same without EQ ? You aren't rolling opamps or making any other physical changes when you change the firmware - surely the 'default' sound sig will be identical ? I'm amused by the myriad of ways in which Rockbox is seen as a cure-all for pretty much everything, including warts  :wink:

If you had a Fuze or Clip/Clip+ where they had the slight playback speed issue....often called the "pitch bug"....Rockbox would bring the playback speed to what it should have been. The difference was small enough that many people never heard it....but Sandisk did finally correct it in the Clip Zip. When I got my Zip and reviewed it I did a lot of comparison to the Clip+, and with both players in the Sandisk firmware, I could make out the difference. Once I booted my Clip+ into Rockbox, suddenly both players sounded the same.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #150 of 467
I use Rapsody to transfer songs. How the hell do I edit the artist and song name? I'm used to iTunes.

I just bought a Clip+ and didn't hear about Rockbox until yesterday which I still no nothing about lol. Time for google.
It looks like this is a good site for me to learn about it?
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=623.0

What does this mean, "USB transfer via Rockbox is still not supported but charging is..you have to boot to OF to transfer media"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back