Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
Sep 18, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #18 of 467
I'm pretty sure the clip sounds better than the iphone 4 using high sensitivity armature IEM unless you prefer a colored sound from the source.

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 467
Cowon has a lot of fun EQ settings.  I have a Sansa fuze rockboxed and a Cowon S9.  A little easier control of EQ is the only real difference to me.  I drive my UM3X off both.  I have run both into my D12 by LOD and then to my UM3X and that doesn't make a difference in sound to me either.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #22 of 467

Quote:
The clip works extremely well with IEMs due to its low output impedance. Low output impedance generally is a very good thing to have imo with any low impedance cans below 100 ohm. On a certain "blog" from an engineer's perspective, you will find a review of the clip+ vs ipod touch backed by measurements amongst many many technical articles.

Sansa Clip+ Measured
Here is the great review

Quote:
Would like to know this too...Is Rockbox the solution to everything?

Not really. With Rockbox your Clip+ will support some extra format e.g. AAC and ALAC. The Rockbox equalizer is more refined and sophisticated. Some users also discover that with Rockbox the battery lasts longer when playing some formats, notably FLAC.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #23 of 467

Quote:
People love the clip+ because

• It's cheap.
  • There's that nice microdisc slot
  • You can Rockbox it.
  • Decent sound for its size, especially with iems with low impedance
  • Did I mention Roxkbox?

This...except IMHO, it has beyond decent sq with Rockbox.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #25 of 467
with regards to the clip+ ability to perform its functions, I say it's very good for everyday use.  sound wise, it can bring the music to a different level. I have tried a couple of players with the same size as the clip+ but it greatly defeats the sound and price.

rockboxing it will definitely enhance its overall state IMO.

Quote:
I have a Clip + and I find it sounds great. I'm using Audio Technica IEMs which listed originally for a hundred bucks bet were on sale for 40. The combination is great. It's seems a bit weak for my Portapros, but it still sounds great with my Grado SR60i phones. For the money it's great. It seems it only does music, no pictures, internet, or anything else. I really like it.

is the Grado SR60i great in matching with the clip+? I would like to get one soon and I will be using it to complete my "clip+ and E5 combo".

Quote:
nicholars

Why does rockbox improve the SQ other then giving more advanced EQ options?

Does it actually improve it other then giving extra options?

for me it will, because you can tweak on the eq settings and all other stuffs like: crossfeed, stereo width and more.  plus you get a lot of options to customize it.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #26 of 467
IMO, the clip is great for its size and price, pretty neutral and decent build and interface. However, it has nowhere near the power, drive or definition of an ipod with a algorythm solo and a good portable amp.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #28 of 467
Hmm I think I will try the rockbox because TBH I dont find the sansa clip + impressive at all....

Using my PC / NAD amp is a completely different league to the clip and it just generally sounds pretty weak and lame imo....

I find it hard to believe that things like the cowon etc can just sound the same?

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #29 of 467
The Clip sounds great with my SM3 but sounded "OK" with my other head/earphones nothing spectacular with it other than the price

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 467
The clip is mediocre in sound quality.  Rockbox de-grade the sound even more to digitalized and robotic sound. 

The headphone out has poor power output due to it's size.  You might be good with low impedance earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back