Is portable video really worth it?
Jun 17, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 59
It is and isn't. The ipod isn't advertised as a video ipod, nor the Zen Vision:M as a video player primarily. They both say it's a feature on the side, because it's real function is music. I saw some good comparisions on a site somewhere about the comparison between the 2.5" screen and a 17" television screen. Something about watching the screen from like 5 meters is the same as the video. May be worth a try if you can find the site.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 59
what about using a portable dvd player? You could always burn a dvd to play whatever you want, assuming you have a layer that can play the format. It also doubles as a cd player, or you can store nearly 5GB of compressed music on a dvd.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 59
Each to their own, but I never use my PSP for videos. I think even if higher capacity sticks were available for a decent price, I wouldn't use it for video

I'm also glad I didn't get an archos AV500 couple month back as I'm getting a laptop for uni - which is the only way to watch video on the road imo

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #19 of 59
I have a Treo650, which is capable of the video and I found it quite useful to keep my 4 year old son occupied in a restaurant before and after the food. You can encode 2 hour movie in 200-250MB size and store them in SD flash. I don't use the video for my own viewing though
tongue.gif
Frankly, it is a nice feature, but not a major requirement or benefit.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 59
I say no. The Vision: M is really nice anyways. If you watch a lot of tv, and have episodes or movies on your pc, then it might be worth it. I prefer to listen to music on trips like that, because I like to be aware of whats going on around me, not focusing on a small screen. Battery life can also be a hassle.

By the way, the zen vision: M has a great screen.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #21 of 59
I've found only one real use for video playback on my ZVM but that one application is worth a lot to me... airplanes. Catching up on some TV can really pass the time but I find that bringing along a full laptop just isn't practical or desireable for me. The ZVM just slips into my pocket and provides hours and hours of video. I alternate between listening to music and watching and it really helps get through the flight.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #22 of 59
I watch video on my pda (3.7" screen) all the time. I realize the ZVM and ipod's screens are smaller, but I feel in now way cramped with that small of a screen, and I would totally watch video if I had either of the two. I've watched family guy on an X5 (far worse screen than both the ZVM and ipod) and it wasn't THAT bad.. after a while you kind of just stop focusing on it. JMO.

Jun 17, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 59
I don't find the screen size to be a problem at all. Rather, it's the effort that I need to dedicate for downloading, converting and uploading that sometimes discourages me from watching video on a portable device. I'm not far-sighted, screen size of ipod or zvm is acceptable.

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #24 of 59
So, if I decide to get a player for strictly music playback, should I "step down" to something like a zen sleek and save $100? Or should I just go with the ZVM anyway and just not use the video feature (and maybe even occasionally use it anyway, like watch sopranos on it once a week or something).

Can I get drastically better music performance out of another player? I'm going ampless because I don't really see the point in getting an amp in such a poor listening environment in the first place. I'll be getting an amp for my computer setup soon, and maybe I'll get a pocketsized amp for the computer and use it for dual-duty, but I would still like a mp3 player that does a great job ampless.

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryguy8
So, if I decide to get a player for strictly music playback, should I "step down" to something like a zen sleek and save $100? Or should I just go with the ZVM anyway and just not use the video feature (and maybe even occasionally use it anyway, like watch sopranos on it once a week or something).

Can I get drastically better music performance out of another player? I'm going ampless because I don't really see the point in getting an amp in such a poor listening environment in the first place. I'll be getting an amp for my computer setup soon, and maybe I'll get a pocketsized amp for the computer and use it for dual-duty, but I would still like a mp3 player that does a great job ampless.

Pretty much any "regarded" mp3 player will sound good ampless. I say if you can afford it, just get the zvm. But... if you don't really need to have a large collection of music with you at all times, consider a small 512mb (or higher) flash player.

Jun 17, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #29 of 59
I personally don't think it's too bad watching an episode or two on the 2.5' screen, as long as you don't have subtitles. You shouldn't use it for only video, as audio is the strong point, but it's more like a fun little extra, much like the fm tuner and recording capabilities.

You may want to load a few short TV episodes on as sort of a "just-for-fun" kind of thing.

Jun 17, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #30 of 59
I have the ZVM, and have several full length movies, TV episodes, music videos, etc. on it. Before I got the ZVM, I really couldn't care less for the video aspect on my DAP, but I really liked the ZVM as an audio option, and it was at such a great price point with a discount from Crutchfields, that chose to get it.

I agree with Lisa, the video playback is awesome, and after awhile, the size of the screen becomes irrelevant in most cases, esp. for just one person watching. The video viewing angle is not an issue with me as it seems to be with others, as least it's in line with most other video DAP's. But still, having said that, the video capabilities for me take a distant second to listening to music, audiobooks, or even listening to talk shows on the FM radio.

When I get to work, I spend all day staring at a computer screen. Before & after, I like to give my eyes a rest (at least as much as I can - I drive), & let my ears take over....

on the otherhand, I also have the Sansa e260: I put about a dozen music videos on it, but never watch them. It's entirely a music DAP for me......

you make a good choice with the ZVM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back