Is portable video really worth it?
Jun 18, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #31 of 59
Well I went out looking today, and ended up finding a single ZVM at circuit city, despite their website saying they are out of stock. Instead of messing around I just went ahead and bought it because it's pretty much what I wanted anyway.

All I've got to say is WOW.

Now I just need some recommendations on good subway headphones, some recommended accessories for this thing (case mostly), and I'm on my way.

For anyone who doesn't have a ZVM, holy crap get one.

Jun 18, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryguy8
Now I just need some recommendations on good subway headphones, some recommended accessories for this thing (case mostly), and I'm on my way.

For anyone who doesn't have a ZVM, holy crap get one.

Grab a pair of IEMs (e.g., e2c, er6i, um1, e3c, etc.) and a skin from bestskinsever.com, and you'll be set.

Jun 18, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Grr the big vision looks awfully nice too
frown.gif

Like no other
biggrin.gif
, the M both feels and looks cheap in comparison, it uses way too much plastic for my taste, like an Ipod. It's almost embarassing that the two players share a common name
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Should've sucked it up and bought the real Zen Vision
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #34 of 59
I'll make another post about specific canalphones later, but I want to get the skin out of the way now, since it's somewhat on topic.

Bestskinsever is the best? Price looks pretty awesome, and they look pretty good overall. Should I go ahead and buy 2 now, or do these things last like forever?

Jun 18, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Portable video makes sense... on a laptop.

Pure pwnage.

Video on portable players smaller than a portable DVD player will do major injury to your eyes.

Jun 18, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #36 of 59
It's worth it to me.

I have the Archos AV500 100GB and have it loaded up with music, photos, movies and music video clips. The screen is small but I don't view it from 10 feet away. The screen is quite nice with good viewing angles and the sound is good. Using a video conversion tool and scaling to the AV500's native 480x272 results in an amazingly sharp and colorful picture.

Paul

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #37 of 59
My first post, so go easy on me
tongue.gif

I have had my ZV:M for about 3 weeks and I love it. Definitely get yourself a Best Skin Ever. If you haven't already, don't take off the factory screen protector until you get your BSE. When applying your skin, the advice I got on another forum is to ditch the plastic spray bottle they include, and fill a shallow bowl with water and a drop of dish soap. Dip the skin pieces in the water, then place them on your player and slide the piece into place. Push out the bubbles, then set the player down somewhere and resist the urge to play with it for 24 hours while the skin settles into place. After a day, it will look incredible and won't move at all. I was leery about the water next to my $300 DAP, but as long as you don't go dunking your player in the bowl, it will be fine.

As for video, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that these things do video out to television. The player's resolution is 320x240, but you can store 640x480 on it and then output to standard definition television. I spend a lot of time in hotels, so I can store full movies on this thing in DivX or XviD format at about 1.2 gig each for 640x480, and have something to watch while on business travel by plugging into the hotel room TV. You can pick up a video out cable from Creative (which requires the dongle but also allows AC power while using it) or grab one of these cables and bypass the dongle (but lose the ability to run on AC power while using). The same company sells a USB sync/charge cable as well. I bought a video cable and 2 USB cables from these guys and they work beautifully.

My only real issue with this unit after 3 weeks is that it is only browseable using ID3 tags, not by folders. This means that you have to be absolutely meticulous about tagging your files, otherwise they get filed under "<UNKNOWN>", which can be frustrating.

Enjoy your Zen! I know I love mine!

Edit: typo

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #38 of 59
Personally, I use it once or twice a week, since I don't have a TV in my room and want to watch The Office or 24 or some other TV show and at times, even movies.. It makes those road trips a lot more entertaining as well. I'd say it's worth it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

My question is: Is watching video content on the small screen worth it? I'm not sure if it's something where it's novelty factor will wear off and I'll just end up listening to music most of the time, essentially wasting $100, or what.

I don't know about the Zen but on my iPod video, I don't have a single mp3 on it. It's filled with music videos, and its great! Watching music videos is a lot better than listening to music and staring at the wall. I suppose it all depends on whether you're a "background" music listener. I always listen to music in the foreground, so I have to stare at something anyway... it might as well be the video.

Besides that, some music just sounds better when you have a video to watch-- (e.g. Nelly Furtado "Promiscuous" -- without the video I'd turn this music off in 5 seconds!).

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Now that ought to tell you something...
wink.gif

Music sounds better when you can watch a girl dancing to it, and I thank Apple. Yeah!
biggrin.gif
I'd never buy a dap without video capabilities again!

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I don't know about the Zen but on my iPod video, I don't have a single mp3 on it. It's filled with music videos, and its great! Watching music videos is a lot better than listening to music and staring at the wall. I suppose it all depends on whether you're a "background" music listener. I always listen to music in the foreground, so I have to stare at something anyway... it might as well be the video.

Besides that, some music just sounds better when you have a video to watch-- (e.g. Nelly Furtado "Promiscuous" -- without the video I'd turn this music off in 5 seconds!).

That's an interesting observation. When I listen to my music usually I'm really captivated that I never end up bored or staring blankly. It makes time seem to go by faster. Maybe it's just me.

Jun 18, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

that would be very hard for me to do. I mean, I like music videos, & have a number on both my ZVM & e260, but when I listen to my music - really listen to it - I have to close my eyes. It just seems like I can HEAR the music better with my eyes closed, which really is simple elementary, since without the extra sensory input from your eyes, you focus more on the remaining inputs, such as sound......

BTW, doesn't the audio for most pre-compressed video formats come as 128kbps at the most - maybe even less, such as 92kbps?? Unless you are getting your music videos from DVD's, so you can edit the compressed formats to better bitrates, yourself??? Seems like the audio wouldn't be at a very good level.....

Jun 18, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #44 of 59
I don't mind portable video and use it for some of the non widescreen cartoons/anime that I have every blue moon, but I much prefer dap book combo. If I am on a plane or in a passenger on a long car ride I find that it is actually worth the effort to bring a laptop, but if it is the bus or subway I would much rather use a dap.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacene
BTW, doesn't the audio for most pre-compressed video formats come as 128kbps at the most - maybe even less, such as 92kbps?? Unless you are getting your music videos from DVD's, so you can edit the compressed formats to better bitrates, yourself??? Seems like the audio wouldn't be at a very good level.....

For those videos with bad sound quality, I usually demultiplex the video/audio and re-multiplex the video with the sound track from the original cd. iPod's mpeg4 sound bitrate is 160 kbps, so it's not that bad. At least, I don't mind and don't hear any noticeable degradation from regular 192 kbps mp3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back