Is portable video really worth it?
Jun 17, 2006 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Fryguy8

100+ Head-Fier
I'm nearly set to buy a zen vision M (I've made the decision to pursue creative over ipod, that doesn't need to be discussed in this thread). I have a 45 minute driveless commute to work each way (shuttle + subway). This gives me quite a bit of downtime each day to watch TV shows from the night before or w/e.

My question is: Is watching video content on the small screen worth it? I'm not sure if it's something where it's novelty factor will wear off and I'll just end up listening to music most of the time, essentially wasting $100, or what.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I can just get a microphoto or zen sleek or something in the same size for like $100 less. Money isn't really a factor for this decision, as I want to optimize my commute in whatever way possible, but $100 is $100.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 59
I have an ipod video, and to be honest, I rarely ever watch the stuff. I've loaded it with music videos and misc. clips, no movies because they're really not worth watching on a 2.5" screen.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 59
The amount of battery life and the amount of storage it takes up also makes watching videos on a DAP really illogical. However, I know a lot of people who watch videos on them. I'd never think of it, though; i'd rather be listening to music.

Jun 17, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 59
NO
VIDEO=BATT HOG
PLUS THE SCREEN IS TOO SMALL (on the ipod of course)!

Jun 17, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 59
On something like an Ipod or the Zen Vision M? No. On something like my Zen Vision 30GB or an Archos AV500, yes. The 3.7" screen on the Zen is more than large enough for somewhat pleasurable viewing, unless you're blind that is
biggrin.gif
. With the extended battery I get nine hours of battery which is enough for three to four full length videos. But it's still small enough for portable use and sounds better than the 5G Ipod 60Gb's headphone out. However, decent video players are quite expensive. I paid over $500 for mine fully decked out, so if you aren't planning on using the feature, you might want to stick with a lower end player. Even if I didn't use the feature though, I still would buy a pvp video player like the Vision 30GB because one, it looks awesome and everyone loves them whether you're using it or not, two it's nice to have the feature even if you think you'll never use it, just in case, and three the bigger screen is nice to have while scrolling through music, and viewing pictures.

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I had it... but never bothered. I just prefer my H120 and a book, but maybe I'm just nuts.

Mleh, books are overrated
biggrin.gif
. JK reading Chains of Command right now, even I don't watch movies that often on it anymore though, too much to do
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 59
I usually get an episode of Scrubs or Family Guy down on the bus to work. You'd think it'd be a gimmick on the small screen but it's actually pretty good. You forget about the screen size when you're watching, I think its great.

Jun 17, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 59
Guess I'm the exception to the rule. I never thought I'd use the video function of my zvm much but I love it.
biggrin.gif

Maybe it's just the novelty though. I haven't had it for long.

Jun 17, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 59
I would second the opion of most, that video on a small screen is no real fun.
Therefore I would highly recommend the Cowon A2. It has a big enough screen supports DivX, Xvid and much more, has a nice battery capacity and is also a wonderful mp3 player (Flac, Ogg Vorbis...)

Jun 17, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 59
I agree with many members here. A laptop is probably the only "proper" way to watch video on the go. To me, a PSP is stretching it abit. For 10~20minute gaming, its fine. But anything longer than that makes me question why I have to endure a small screen. Most people I know with portable video devices like an ipod or psp pretty much use it with music videos, or other short funny video clips.

I don't quite understand how people can watch movies on those things with its poor screen and sound quality. Plus its a pain to encode and put them on these devices. Why not just read a book instead???

Jun 17, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
Why not just read a book instead???

Right, try a book
biggrin.gif

Call me old fashioned, but I would much rather
- listen to music
- look around for pretty girls and see which headphones they use (lots of Kossgirls lately!
eek.gif
)
- read papers I need to get through anyway
- read a book
- play solitaire on my phone
- (soon, maybe) look around if someone else has a DS lite ready for a wireless match on the train.

than watch video on a small screen. Even with the plethora video googles (yeah, I'd use them in public, for sure
rolleyes.gif
) the resolution would be less than amusing. For me, enjoying a movie or show means I place myself on soft leather, have decent screensize & resolution, and pump up the 5.1. But I also still love Laserdiscs, so maybe I am the Vinyl-guy of video. Also, I've seen people with their 5G iPods actually watch videos on the bus or on the train. Like screen zombies they hold their device in front of them & stare.

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 59
Hate to bring up the iPod vs ZVM issue here and I know you don't want to see it, but it has to be pointed out because your situation is how I tried to fit portable video into my commute. The ZVM's screen has to be kept in a much more fixed aspect in relation to the face during commute viewing and I find it much more fatiguing than the iPod to watch in a portable scenario, which doesn't suffer from the viewing angle problem of the ZVM.

I do use the iPod to view PVR rips of documentaries which I don't get to sit in front of the telly for (which in my case requires conversion on either iPod or ZVM) and video podcasts (many of which are not on the Zen format of course). I'm also experimenting with capturing investor's meetings video streams. Because of the fatigue / murk issue I never use the Zen for video these days unless I download something specifically in DivX/Xvid format. Problem is of course that with the 30Gb iPod if you watch a 45-minute video then it eats quite a lot into your available music battery life on the commute back, if you can't recharge at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back