Is Philips Fidelio X2hr ,good update to senn HD 598?
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

caprireds

Head-Fier
I have sennheiser HD 598, Is Philips Fidelio X2hr ,a good upgrade to it ,sound quality wise?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 8
I have both, I would say it depends on the music you like. If you need bass in your music for house and trance, yeah the X2 is so much groovier and better suited. But if you like vocals, rock, maybe even metal, it is definitely not so easy decision. I'd say in a lot of cases X2 is sidegrade to 598. Maybe if you feel like 598 is boring and unexciting, you can say X2 is upgrade probably yes. But is also fair that you think treble and midrange are better on 598.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I have both, I would say it depends on the music you like. If you need bass in your music for house and trance, yeah the X2 is so much groovier and better suited.
How about equalizing the HD 598 ,boosting the bass a bit.... would is sound the same as the X2?

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 8
no. sound quality wise, not really even worth it. durability and comfort, yes.

I have had the Hd598's and i paired them with the fiio e17. I actually miss them. Right now I am using various amps/dacs and a loki mini with my X2HR's. I like the sound, is it better, not really.

In my opinion Senns aren't really that comfortable. I find Beyers, and Philips to be more comfortable, and durable. So outside of sound itself, I think comfort and durability are equally as important.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 8
^ Haha I am staring at my HD598, Fidelio X2HR, and also the FiiO E17 here now so I feel uniquely qualified to add some thoughts. First up, the X2HR is not as comfortable as the HD598 in my opinion, even with a broken-in support band. The latter is just much lighter and the velour pads are some of the best in the business. Of course this is subjective, but for my average set of ears on an average sized head I dare say my experience will be more common than not. The HD598 is also polarizing in color, but far smaller in footprint too.

Neither of those really need much to drive them, and the E17 is plenty enough for either. The HD598 is more balanced throughout, with the X2HR a lot brighter and more suitable for jazz, pop, and the like. One other thing to point out is the metal magnetic mesh on the exterior of the X2HR cups make for excellent supports for the Antlion Modmic without needing to use the glued-on support pad, so I use the X2HR for a very nice headset.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 8
^ Haha I am staring at my HD598, Fidelio X2HR, and also the FiiO E17 here now so I feel uniquely qualified to add some thoughts. First up, the X2HR is not as comfortable as the HD598 in my opinion, even with a broken-in support band. The latter is just much lighter and the velour pads are some of the best in the business. Of course this is subjective, but for my average set of ears on an average sized head I dare say my experience will be more common than not. The HD598 is also polarizing in color, but far smaller in footprint too.

Neither of those really need much to drive them, and the E17 is plenty enough for either. The HD598 is more balanced throughout, with the X2HR a lot brighter and more suitable for jazz, pop, and the like. One other thing to point out is the metal magnetic mesh on the exterior of the X2HR cups make for excellent supports for the Antlion Modmic without needing to use the glued-on support pad, so I use the X2HR for a very nice headset.
How about equalizing the HD 598 ,boosting the bass a bit ,and the treble a bit.... would it sound the same as the X2?

if that is true ,then I don't find any reason to buy the x2

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I don't know, I love my X2's. I think they are the perfect all arounder. Everyone's ears and shape of the head is different. So when it actually comes to sound and comfort, only one way to find out sadly.

One other thing to point out is the metal magnetic mesh on the exterior of the X2HR cups make for excellent supports for the Antlion Modmic without needing to use the glued-on support pad, so I use the X2HR for a very nice headset.
I actually used the pad, I like it that it is there for consistency. I found it funny how I missed the pad, the first time I blindly put it on lol. I was like, why is this so strange? Oh, I missed my mark. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back