Is ODAC an upgrade to the hifimediy DAC?
Apr 28, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 31
I actually use ODAC to driver my CK100PRO. While ODAC is an strictly a DAC dont forget it has enough VRM to do a decent job on amplifying most IEM. You can digitally adjust volume (that is what I do).

I cannot recommend ODAC enough. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #21 of 31
Apr 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #22 of 31
I think that's for diy people, a bit cheaper on ebay.
MUCH MUCH cheaper if you know someone who car speak chinese $160+shipping.
I emailed minishow0328 on ebay the chinese link and got a price, was a bit more but not a whole lot. Yeah, of course depends if you need USB or to upgrade the opamps etc and nice transformer.
$270 = £175. The AK4399 I think delivered was £150. Come on, people are charging $400 for a audioquest USB toy. The parts alone cost ?? You tell me. dac $40, usb $30, case $30, trans $30, circuit $30, caps/resistors etc $50, wires / sockets $20. That's $230 already in parts without labour. There can't be a huge profit being taken here.
Hey, you should be very grateful you can still buy anything for US$. I guess JPMorgan didn't get requested for any gold today :wink: Be very interested to see how you go, please report back.

May 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #23 of 31
Hi,

So You find the hifimediy to sound better than the fiio?

Hi

I have the hifimediy DAC built on ES9023:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

It's great, and I use it to drive all my headphones directly - FIIO E17 and FIIO E6 are now unemployed.
The sound has great detail over the entire frequency range, solid bass impact and huge soundstage.

ODAC is supposed to be an affordable reference-level DAC, but it uses the same ES9023 chip and costs over 3 times more.
I am sure that it has better specifications then the hifimediy DAC, but are there any audible differences?
Can ODAC drive the headphones directly as well as hifimediy does, or does it require an amplifier?

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
I have bought the ODAC, and it's definitely not an upgrade.

For almost 4X difference in price, I couldn't hear any significant differences.
Hifimediy does have a more powerful output - drives HE-400 without any issues.
ODAC is 8-9DBs quieter.

Ordered 2 more Hifimediy DACs - want to have them plugged into every laptop/workstation/HTPC I have.

Which version of the the Hifimediy DAC did you get? 

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 31
I would also suggest looking into stoner acoustic's ud110v2 $59 (including S&H). http://stoneracoustics.blogspot.com/ pretty nice tiny portable dac, uses the PCM5102A found in the $1000 WA7 Firefly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back