Is Nintendo Wii Really Worth It?
Mar 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #46 of 91
I like the idea of that Wii balancing board but I am too heavy for it.
frown.gif
As a gaming machine though it doesn't interest me in the least. Don't want to wave a silly wand around that may fly off my hand and trash my Plasma screen and don't care for Mario arcade type games either. I do 95% of my gaming on the PC and 5% on the PS3. If you like games with lots of depth then the PC pwns all systems easily.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #47 of 91
I used to be avid Nintendo fan, and when Wii came out I defended it endlessly and insisted what potential the new controlling mechanism has for gaming.

I was only partially right. There are few quality titles like Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem (doesnt utilise new controller, it is just a good strategy RPG) and Metroid. Especially in Metroid Prime 3 the new controller aiming is FANTASTIC. So accurate and fast, I could play it almost as well as any FPS with keyboard and mouse, but unlike key+mouse the Wii controller brought immersion to totally new level. It felt so awesome.

But then Nintendo decided to screw us hardcore gamer fans in the ass. It seems like only games Wii has nowadays are casual gaming crap! I do not care about graphics that much, it doesnt matter if Wii is only enhanced Gamecube in graphics, it still looks good and special effects are very nice. But still Wii is faaar the weakest of this-gen consoles because of the games. It has only couple of good and innovative games, and thats it... PS3 and Xbox are only consoles for hardcore gamers (edit: and PC too), Wii is only for family and party fun. *sigh* Thanks a lot Nintendo for screwing us!

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #48 of 91
I think a Wii and a high end PC are all you need. The Wii can be used for casual gaming, some 'hardcore' gaming and for when you have friends around, while a high end PC can be used to play most high end games (with the best possible graphics).
The only benefits to the 360 or PS3 are that games are more easily made for them, there are exclusive games and if you only have say one friend around, they can be more fun than the Wii. However the graphics aren't as good as a high end PC (plus you can upgrade a PC almost endlessly) and for interactivity the Wii certainly is the best.

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #49 of 91
mario kart on the wii was too much fun, i would pay the price of the console for that alone. i recently sold my wii, especially competing against other people from around the globe, but may pick one up again for mario kart when/if i have settled down with my audio gear

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #50 of 91
Wii is not worth it... It costs as much as a Xbox 360 in Europe anyway. As for casual gaming that doesn´t really make sense. There is tons of ****ty games on 360 as well that you just want to play for 5 minutes then you are done with it
wink.gif

Wii is for me the evidence about how important good marketing is. That said there is good games on it like resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy but no consol have as much crap as the Wii... And I mean absolute crap.

But really what matters is either if it´s decent media player that you cn do some gaming on (PS 3)... Or if it´s simply has a lot of great games (Xbox 360)

Wii still has a lot to proof. It´s not like you can make causal games on either of the other consoles or PC for that matter...

At the moment I do all three consoles plus PC. PC is of course superior as for the other three they are all expendible
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wii still has a lot to proof. It´s not like you can make causal games on either of the other consoles or PC for that matter...

Of course you can make casual games for the other consoles + PC. I seem to recall there being a good number of casual games on both the PS1 and PS2 and I see people all the time on their computers doing nothing more than enjoying a casual 10 minute game of PocketTanks, Splume, Zuma or Tetris. I think, personally that its just that the market among Wii owners is larger for casual gaming than the market is among the other two consoles and the PC.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rarely play anything, but it's all PC games or Wii. My PS3 is relegated purely to Blu-Ray duties.

Turn it into a media server so you get more value out of it. I put a 500GB in my PS3 and now have my MP3 collection on it. My only complaint is that there is no search feature for the library so it is too slow to go from A to Z. You need to make playlists to make it more manageable.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #53 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly. A lot of these light weight casual games they charge for on the consoles you can get for free on the PC. Loads of flash and java games available on the web for free that the console companies charge for.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #54 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn it into a media server so you get more value out of it. I put a 500GB in my PS3 and now have my MP3 collection on it. My only complaint is that there is no search feature for the library so it is too slow to go from A to Z. You need to make playlists to make it more manageable.

this would have been my main reason for getting one, not fully functional then as a media device?
have yet to play on a ps3/360

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #55 of 91
Each console has its own benefits with it this gen. Given the choice, I'd side with none of them. I think the tit-for-tat that has gone on between fans this time around has been pretty appalling (almost moreso than ever before if you ask me) and even the companies have not come out of this generation as clean as they were before it. PC is the only medium i have respect for this time at the moment and I dont really get into many new PC games either.
On a similar note, when do you think itll stop being called "next gen"? It's been here for a long time now...

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #57 of 91
Other than the lack of recent titles, there have been a good number of quality titles that I have thoroughly enjoyed:
Zelda
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Metroid 3
No More Heroes
Okami
Boom Blox
Smash Bros
RE4
Mario Strikers
Zack & Wiki
Paper Mario
Mario Party 8
Fire Elblem
Rayman (honestly, its a hilarious party game)
Battalion Wars 2
Excite Truck
Trauma Center
Elebits
Super Monkey Ball

Then there are the multi-platform titles like
RB/GH
MOH:heroes 2
Lego Star Wars
Godfather

And lately, new House of the Dead and MadWorld. I realize there was a lull in releases... but how can you look at that lineup and say there aren't any good games on the system? Each one of those is a game that I have enjoyed. Maybe I have a more varied taste in games than most people, I don't know. That isn't to say the Wii is the best, I also use the 360, psp, ds and my PC. I really think you're doing yourself a disservice as a gamer to not play a bunch of those games. Some have shown quality innovation (Galaxy) and some are just silly fun (House of the Dead).

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #58 of 91
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #59 of 91
It's sort of an iffy thing. The Wii is one of those things that you can pass-up, but once you have one, you can't help but keep it. I have a PS3 and a Wii, and the only reason I keep my Wii is for Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart Wii, Mega Man 9, (I don't know why, but I love using the Wii-remote sideways for retro games) and my GCN games. It's a lot of money that could probably be spent a lot better elsewhere, but if you like an infinitely replayable game like a racing or fighting game (in this case Psuedo-Fighting) then go for it.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #60 of 91
I bought the wii the first day it came out here in NA, and it definitely isn't for me. To me, the motion controls didn't make anything more fun and did not immerse me anymore than a regular controller. Honestly, a lot of the motion controls in games seemed to just be motion for the sake of it, but the controller does work for games like wii sports and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back