Is Nintendo Wii Really Worth It?
Apr 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consensus: get an old N64 with Zelda: OOT, Goldeneye, Mario Kart and oh, don't forget your gym membership.
wink.gif

x2 the nintendo 64 imo was the last good console nintendo put out.

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #62 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this would have been my main reason for getting one, not fully functional then as a media device?
have yet to play on a ps3/360

It is totally functional as a media server. This is how I mainly use it, primarily because I am short on time these days to play video games. My wife uses it as a media server and my wife is NOT tech friendly. So, how can one easily navigate through the media? The answer: Organized folders.

Music: 33 folders, starting with 0-9 and then running A through Z with Audiophile Test records, Classical, Jazz, Operas, Soundtracks and Various Artists. Each folder then has subfolders by artist and each artist as a subfolder for album. Takes about 5 seconds to find an album deep in the directory.

If you have everything in root directory and yeah, it's gonna take some time to post and scroll through. Organize it properly and you won't have a problem at all. I have 1 Terabyte connected to my PS3 full of stuff, movies, tv shows, family pictures, most of my cd collection ripped etc...and again, takes 5-10 seconds to hit anything one would want. My wife can do it in that time. Anyone can do it if my wife can (sorry honey!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And lately, new House of the Dead and MadWorld. I realize there was a lull in releases... but how can you look at that lineup and say there aren't any good games on the system? Each one of those is a game that I have enjoyed. Maybe I have a more varied taste in games than most people, I don't know. That isn't to say the Wii is the best, I also use the 360, psp, ds and my PC. I really think you're doing yourself a disservice as a gamer to not play a bunch of those games. Some have shown quality innovation (Galaxy) and some are just silly fun (House of the Dead).

Definitely. The Wii has a lot of crap coming out for it, but it also has fantastic games worthy of the cash layout. Because of the kids my family tends to have more Wii games than PS3 games (and this may also be a result of our inlaws buying quite a few "gimmick games" for the kids) but of the games that are geared towards myself and my wife, the Wii sees more time than the PS3. The PS3 has two games my wife is interested in playing, we own both. I own a dozen games for the PS3 a handful of PS2 games and then just over 2 dozen Wii games. The Wii games deserve just as much attention as my PS3 games. I gave up on PC gaming for a while but am eager to play Rage when it hits the streets, otherwise I'm perfectly happy splitting my time between the Wii and the PS3. I used to say that the PS3 was reserved for violent adult oriented games but with House of Dead and Madworld one can't make that claim anymore. Those games ROCK and are completely inappropriate for kids.

The Wii remote (and I guess the upcoming new motion sensor) is actually a more realistic/natural and fun way to do a FPS than the keyboard and mouse. The gamepad is totally lackluster for this type of game as I have painfully learned while attempting PS3 games.

The Wii is fun for the family, fun for the casual gamer and fun for the hardcore gamer. I dare anyone to say that Mega Man 9 isn't one of the most challenging games ever (beat it without dying once!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 the nintendo 64 imo was the last good console nintendo put out.

Blah, no way. The Wii's ability to play the entire back catalogue of Nintendo games in addition to all the new games using the new motion controls easily makes it the greatest Nintendo console ever. The original NES holds a special place in my heart because it was the first console all 3 of my brothers and I could play (the other consoles were around in the house at a time when my two youngest bros were simply too young to touch them). Yet, there is no denying that with the entire Nintendo catalogue (or nearly so) at a user's finger tips, that the Wii comes out on top.

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #63 of 91
Depends

I am in my final year of uni and have had no time for it
frown.gif
Zelda, I believe I am inbetween 3rd/4th boss or 4th/5th boss. Not even started Resi Evil. Loads of things like Mario Kart + Paper Mario I would like to try. Mainly played Wii Sports when I had it. A bit of a tinker on Wii Play but meh

I actually palmed it off to a friend last summer who says it was eating dust from week 2

Really should get it back...

May 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #64 of 91
Totally worth it.
I use Wii Fit to establish my exercise habit.
I'm still using Wii Fit as a compliment and a recording sheet for my daily exercise even my exercise routine is now beyond Wii Fit.
I use Wii / Wii Fit almost everyday for 300+ days till now.
Every penny is well spent..

May 16, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #65 of 91
I think I should get a life...
tongue.gif

Anyway, I am quite hooked on Mario Kart for the Wii - especially online against other human opponents (since I live alone) through the Wi-Fi internet connection. But the Wii should not be anybody's only gaming console (the way I see it); instead, I would supplement (or should I say compliment?) it with another console such as the PS3 or the Xbox 360 since there are some games which look and/or play better on the higher-specced consoles.

May 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #67 of 91
You know how they always have ads with grandma playing a Wii? Well my grandma really went and bought a Wii LOL

Say what you will about the system, but I'd like to see any others console that convinces a 70 years old lady with arthritis to get up and start playing/exercising. That being said, it really isn't for everyone (like me, for example, and probably a LOT of traditional video gamers), but it really has pushed the video gaming industry to a new height in terms of being in the media spotlight.

May 18, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #68 of 91
Seriously love the Wii, it's actually my first and the only console I've bought (long time PC gamer). Only negative is the component cable I got to go with my recently bought 42" plasma is defective so I've only been able to use with the standard one.
frown.gif

May 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #69 of 91
I'm picking up Punch Out!! today. It's been getting really great reviews. I haven't played the original Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! since the mid '80s in the arcade. Never played the NES or SNES versions. Can't wait, should bring back memories. I'll get a chance to play the original arcade machine again at the Northwest Pinball and Video game show next month. Should be fun. More into the pinball though.

May 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #70 of 91
Punch Out!! turns out to be a great game. You can play it classic style of pushing buttons or with motion control and even balance board. Classic style is the easiest and completely reminds me of the old school game. I think I prefer the motion without the balance board the best. Gets you into the game more and it still easy to control. The balance makes it a little too hard at this point. Surprisingly my wife liked the game and somehow beat me in the head-to-head competition. She won by decision.

I might also pick up the EA sport active. I really like Wii Fit and this fitness game is getting good reviews. I find Wii Fit was more of a motivator to get you to be more active outside of just playing the game.

May 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally worth it.
I use Wii Fit to establish my exercise habit.
I'm still using Wii Fit as a compliment and a recording sheet for my daily exercise even my exercise routine is now beyond Wii Fit.
I use Wii / Wii Fit almost everyday for 300+ days till now.
Every penny is well spent..

I highly recommend you pick up EA Sports Active. Much better than Wii Fit. It based more on cardio and strength training. The biggest improvement is it has dozens of workout routines of different levels, times, and type. Once you get past the initial instruction videos, you should be able to get a great workout in 30 minutes without having to hand select each exercise. You can also customize your workouts before you start. The only recommendation is to pick out a stronger resistance band at any sporting goods store to make the strength training better. The included band is a low level one.

Amazon.com: EA Sports Active: Nintendo Wii: Video Games

May 23, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very disappointed at the lack of games that use the wiimote and the wii sports controls.

I was under the impression most people hate the wii because of the wiimote and stuff, guess you're the opposite end of the spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back