Is Nintendo Wii Really Worth It?
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to steal the thread but is the RROD still an issue with the newer chipsets in the 360?

I had a "Falcon" 360 with the smaller CPU, but its really the GPU that causes the issues more than the CPU. The newest versions, the "Jasper", should help that out quite a bit as the GPU was shrunken as well. However, the biggest issue is a design flaw in the system, more specifically with the clamps used to attach the heatsinks to the motherboard, as they can warp the board very slightly and crack solder joints.

Anyway, to get back on topic, while I might have sounded a little negative in my other post about the Wii, I don't really agree with everyone saying there's only a few good games. There's GH/RB if you like those, in addition to many others: The Godfather (a great game on the Wii), Metroid Prime 3, Okami, RE4, Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zack and Wiki, No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Warioware, Zelda, Excitetruck, Elebits, Battalion Wars, Blast Works, Boom Blox, Wario Land, Tiger Woods, Madden,etc, in addition to some great Wiiware games in World of Goo, Lost Winds, the Strongbad games if you like that type of humor, Dr Mario, Defend your Castle, MegaMan 9, and Toki Tori.

As I mentioned in my first post, due to Rock Band 2 and Left 4 Dead, my 360 has been getting much more use lately, but that doesn't mean there aren't any good games out there for Wii. If you look at my list, there's a good mix of first and third party games and I'm not counting most of the more casual minded games which were still pretty good: the first Rayman, etc.

I wouldn't get one just for Wii Fit, but I did originally get mine just for Zelda.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll echo most of the comments above. A Wii is good for parties but if you're more of a 'normal' gamer, a PS3 or a 360 is better. I have a PS3 and a Wii and I'll bet it's been a year since I played the Wii. The PS3 gets used every 2-3 days for games and almost more often for Blu-Ray/DVD. I'm actually thinking of buying a 360 to use to stream Netflix to my TV.

HD Netflix Streaming on the Xbox is insane. My friend uses it all the time.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #35 of 91
I played the crap out of my Wii when I first bought it (with Metroid Prime 3). But once I beat Metroid Prime 3 I pretty much stopped playing it. I forced myself to get a little into Super Mario Galaxy, but once I got my Xbox the Wii pretty much just sat there. Now that I've got the PS3 the Wii isn't even hooked up.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #36 of 91
Personally, I've enjoyed having the Wii around because it's the only system that I have convinced the rest of my family to get into. I for one enjoy a large range of games, but my biggest problem is getting time to play them so I only play for a couple of hours a week, usually. As a result, the perceived lack of games has never been a problem for me. I got my father into it when he had a lot of fun picking up a controller and playing Wii Sports and my sister promptly forced me into purchasing her DDR for it, which is all she plays nearly every day. My mom just recently decided that she wants me to invest in a Wii Balance Board for her to use with Wii Fit. I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much use out of either the XBox360 or PS3 so for me, the Wii has been perfect, sitting right next to my much older, but still operational NES.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #37 of 91
omg yes... wii gets really boring after a while, ahven't touched mine for half a year... BUT its great if you have heaps of kids or have other people to play with all the time... not for solo gamers..

note: if i ever decide to sell my wii of head-fi, ignore this post, it doesn't exist! Wii rocks and you should buy it off me!
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #39 of 91
I sold my Wii to my boss about 2 weeks ago. It was fun when I bought it, but I really only bought it for one game (Metroid Prime 3) and once I got through it, that was pretty much it. For the last 4 months I didn't even have it hooked up. If you have kids, younger siblings and/or a bunch of gamer friends it's worth it. But if you are like me and have none of those, I can't say it's really worth owning unless you really want to play Wii-exclusive games.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #40 of 91
We got the Wii and loved it at first, but the novelty wore off quick. The PS3 has been much more appealing to us and doubles as a terrific media server. If you're younger or like very simple games (in terms of depth and graphics) then the Wii is good, otherwise a 360 or PS3 is your best bet.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #41 of 91
Yeah, the Wii does get old after a while. It's only good to have when some cool game comes out and you can play with all your friends. That's about it... It's a solid console though. It just doesn't have the constant playability that the xbox 360 and ps3 have. I think it's partially because of it's lack of internet gameplay.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I didn't buy it. For some reason you see more of used/almost new condition of Wii for sale than PS3/360. That explains something.

Because there are more Wiis sold in the first place and they don't have an astronomical fail rate?

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #43 of 91
i think there could be a lot of injured people from this wii fit.. its not acurate enough to tell you if youve got a slightly bad posture etc..

as for the games, poor, i played mario kart for the first time and came in first, says it all really,

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #44 of 91
I bought my Wii and kept it even though it gathered dust for a good 5 months. Now I use it for gamecube games and the few worthwhile hardcore releases that come out. It's good for when company is around and good for backwards compatibility to play GC games I loved.

If you own a Wii and don't find it worth playing, go do yourself a favor and look at No More Heroes and Madworld. Probably two of the best non-nintendo Wii games for "hardcore" gamers.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #45 of 91
I loved the wii bowling when I first got it. Had a couple of fun drunken nights playing with friends. Even got a perfect 300 game. I recently got Shaun White's snowboarding game, which is really fun with balance board. The other game I play the most is Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. I love pinball and this game does a great job of capturing the feel of these pinball machines.

If you're a casual gamer, the wii might be worth it. Other than the snowboard game, doesn't seem like they had any good titles in a long time. I'm looking forward to the new Punch Out game and might pick up Tiger Woods when the next release comes out in the summer. They also have the virtual console to pick up old classics as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back