Is my mind playing games on my perception...
Nov 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Banned at his own request
Alright, so, sometimes I hear light pops and cracklings in some songs. When I rewind, they are no longer there.
I figure there are two reasons: one, a defect in my cable / amp, or two, my mind is playing games. I simply hope the latter, because it took me hours to build that cable and a good part of my cash on that amp...'phones can't be the cause, 'cuz I switched some phones and these noises still show up once in a while.
Any of you have explainations? Thanks!

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 15
Those aren't the only two possibilities. On my laptop, when certain other tasks are happening (mainly graphical processing) I get random pops/crackles. It's also possible you have something rattling in your headphone driver. If the sound is more of a crackling than a popping, then this is most likely.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 15
If the hair is fine you won't be able to see it. Also, the frequency sweeps have to be done at high(ish) volume and slowly so that the foreign body has time to resonate. Really 20-1khz over a two minute sweep should find it if it's there.

Have you ever heard the noise when your source (which I assume isn't a PC) has been on pause/stop? Try that if you haven't. While you're doing that, try moving around/shaking cables to see if there's a poor connection in a cable somewhere.

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 15
My source is a 6th Gen IPC 160GB, late 2009 version.
On pause, when jiggling around the cable, there is no noise at all. Amp is on, of course.
Hair on driver...I did blow on it lightly so if anything is still stuck on there, I can't see it.
PS: Tried using direct headphone-out on IPC. Random noises still there.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 15
You can also pick up RFI in your equipment from any variety of sources.

Cell phones, wireless phones, fluorescent lights, dimmer switches, AC motors, and much, much else. Even the universe itself has loads of cosmisc background radiation. The universe is a noisy place.

So it is very likely that you are hearing noises that are not on the recording and not generated by your gear.

You might want to read up on Patrick82's experiments with ERS paper.

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 15
RFI/EMI? I did install a TDK ZCAT ferrite core filter on my LOD...do I need one on my headphones too?
Cosmic background radiation? I highly doubt my setup is able to pick up that. Sure, my cables are unshielded...
EDIT: If I get the papers, do I line the inside of my amp with that or...?

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 15
hmm audio glitches... what are your source devices?

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ERS paper.

lol
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 15
What's an IPC?

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cosmic background radiation? I highly doubt my setup is able to pick up that.

crap happens, unfortunately
confused_face.gif

well, you need to troubleshoot...using different sources/headphones/cables, and you'll find the culprit eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back