Is Merzbow dangerous?
May 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #31 of 45
Well, tbh I think I prefer Boris or Sunn 0))), but I agree with asmox -short periods I 'd give Merzbow a go. Don't mind a bit of noise now & then, lol. And for years I touted Diamanda Galas' Litanies of Satan to friends to pretty much the same reactions...

And as for Trout Mask...we are talking about possibly the finest rock/blues record ever made!

May 23, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #33 of 45
^^
grammarpolice.gif

May 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing, you dont miss anything if you listen THAT on 5 bucks cans ...

Nah, you need a bright 'phone to get the real ear-splitting quality out of this stuff
wink.gif

May 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, you need a bright 'phone to get the real ear-splitting quality out of this stuff
wink.gif

... or 8ohm BD on amp and - you bye bye eardums ..

May 24, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #37 of 45
SO - instead of vomiting into a bucket you just post on Head-Fi?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When artists vomit in a bucket, and call that art (perhaps with some arty techno babble to make themselves look more intelligent) it's not art it's a bucket of vomit. They've got no talent but want to force people to think they have.

May 24, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #38 of 45
I thought that too for a while. Until I listened to some real Lo-fi rock (The Moldy Peaches - strangely addicting album) on Apple buds, couldn't stand it. Listened with my X-10's- totally different - mellowed some of the distortion and could hear things I couldn't on the cheap buds. I might try that with some Merzbow. There may be more there than I could hear with my cheap computer speakers, may be able to pick up on the artists "intent".
gg

Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing, you dont miss anything if you listen THAT on 5 bucks cans ...

May 24, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #39 of 45
I like some avant garde music and have weird taste compared to most people. But there has to be an underlying melody or something even if it is not obvious. Pure dissonance I just can't get into. But I have no problem listening to something like Lustmord when I am in the mood for it.

May 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love it on my Denons the lows are just crazy. Technically speaking, this music covers much more of the frequency spectrum then most other forms of music would.

Have you ever heard Lustmord's Heresy? Ambient music recorded in caves and hits some very low frequencies. Warning: Lustmord likes to make music that makes you feel dread.

May 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by holyharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pi55ing off country music fans.
evil_smiley.gif

Not all of us.
biggrin.gif
I've been a longtime fan of bluegrass, classic country and alt.country.

I do appreciate Merzbow to an extent. Not daily listening, but worth a listen now and then, regardless. Much like the Captain Beefheart, Residents and atonal/polytonal 20th century classical I keep around, too.

May 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #43 of 45
I actually do listen to Merzbow from time to time when I am feeling particularly mopey or antisocial and need to be reminded of the meaningless of one's existence. Which, surprisingly, makes me feel better afterwards. Like blues or something like that. It's hard to explain.

One of the real crimes in my record collection is that I have a used copy of Venereology without the cover art - which, of course, is 90% of the reason for owning it in the first place.

Akita's MO nowadays is all about militant veganism, which I have no respect for. But I think you can still appreciate his music while ignoring his political message.

May 26, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which, surprisingly, makes me feel better afterwards. Like blues or something like that. It's hard to explain.

Great description, it really is a release like that for me too; a sonic cleansing (or raping, depending on your preceptive).

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #45 of 45
will listen to Merzbow time to time. seriously can't keep up all his releases
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back