Is Merzbow dangerous?
May 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

RushNerd

1000+ Head-Fier
Aside from maybe your sanity, Is Masami Akita's art harmful to your speakers? If you don't know of him, your probably a normal, sane person
tongue.gif
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Seriously though, I just got my Denon2000s today and don't want to kill them so soon! Only reason I ask is, you probably wouldn't be able to TELL ruining anything because of the nature of his music (E.I. your speakers been blown apart in a violent manor). I also believe that most of his tracks are beyond the red(+5 to 10+db?).

Input?????

May 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 45
While I watched a video you posted, as I have never heard of this artist, the "music" sounds a lot like white noise. Not my cup of tea, but the video aspect with the music, is very interesting.
As far as damage to your cans goes, as with any speaker, speakers can blow when pushed to the point that you hear distortion. With this music, it may be hard for you to hear that level, the high frequencies I heard would blow your eardrums out before your speakers would blow.

No joke, I would worry more about your hearing at high levels with this music than your cans.

May 22, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 45
I never heard of this artist so I looked him up on allmusic. I am surprised to see his extensive discography.

However, the one minute listen of that first youtube video the OP linked is about all I could handle. I'd get the same 'enjoyment' simply doing a seek through the am/fm channels of my receiver.

May 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 45
I doubt it'll cause a problem, unless you push the volume too high. I find it's the kind of music that'll fatigue your ears at lower volumes that most, so you probably won't want to endure it at high volumes anyway.

Oh, and I suggest you check out 38 Ghosts by Nine Inch Nails
wink.gif

May 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 45
Merzbow is an inspiration to artists everywhere.

It's proof indisputable that someone, somewhere, will like what you're doing. You just have to find them.

I used to be in a noise band. Like Merzbow but more melodical. I'll do you the favor of not linking to our last.fm profile.

As for damage - I'd say keep the volume level down below 'piercing' and you'll probably be ok. That said, one of my band mates once released a solo album of programatically generated overlapping square waves that, aside from being unscratchable because it sounds the same no matter what you do to distort it, has been rumored to damage amplifiers.

May 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somewhat related: anyone see merzbow play at No Fun Fest last week in new york? any comments?

He cancelled his 3 North American dates (NYC, TO, MTL) after the Japanese authorities had issued warnings against travelling to USA and Canada due to the risks caused by the swine flu.

May 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Merzbow is an inspiration to artists everywhere.

It's proof indisputable that someone, somewhere, will like what you're doing. You just have to find them.

I used to be in a noise band. Like Merzbow but more melodical. I'll do you the favor of not linking to our last.fm profile.

As for damage - I'd say keep the volume level down below 'piercing' and you'll probably be ok. That said, one of my band mates once released a solo album of programatically generated overlapping square waves that, aside from being unscratchable because it sounds the same no matter what you do to distort it, has been rumored to damage amplifiers.

Great, glad you think so
smily_headphones1.gif
! I'm always interested to see who's heard of Merzbow.
Yes, he certainly has quite a prolific catalog. There's even the bloody Merzbox witch is 50 Cd's and almost two days of music :O

Anyway for everyone who's wondering Masami Akita's been doing this since the late 70's and is considered(because he is) the premier Japanese nosie artist (he spawned an army of copycats around the country).

The music(I really consider it art, not so much music) obviously is difficult and you wouldn't usually causally listen to it( same here applies to difficult films). But when you listen it's just mind-blowing to hear what you can do with sound/sonic waves in general.

Not to mention it puts death metal/grindcore to shame xD!

May 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

(I really consider it art, not so much music)

When artists vomit in a bucket, and call that art (perhaps with some arty techno babble to make themselves look more intelligent) it's not art it's a bucket of vomit. They've got no talent but want to force people to think they have.

May 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 45
When i was in a noise band, we considered what we were doing to be vandalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back