Is Koss Porta pro endgame? What are similar headphones or above?
May 21, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #91 of 134
I have also owned the KTXPRO1 for some time now and like it a lot more than the KSC75, UR40, and many much more expensive headphones! One of the few headphones that gets a universal recommendation from me. It's even better with EQ.

May 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #92 of 134
it reminds me of hd518. believe me for $9 that i paid nothing is lacking on them and they are better than portapro and ksc75 but here i really want to know if they are not using the sportapro drivers.

May 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #93 of 134
  it reminds me of hd518. believe me for $9 that i paid nothing is lacking on them and they are better than portapro and ksc75 but here i really want to know if they are not using the sportapro drivers.

The KTXPRO1 has the same titanium-coated drivers as the KSC75. (The Porta Pro and Sporta Pro do not have titanium-coated drivers.) It's crazy how different they sound simply from the enclosure being different! Aside from the sparkly treble and spacious soundstage, I thought the KSC75 sounded hardly better than cheap earbuds (and pushing it closer to my ears didn't improve the sound either)...yet the KTXPRO1 easily competes with many (if not most) headphones in the three-figure range!

May 21, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #94 of 134
few days back i had htf600, hd518, jvc s500, samson sr950, harx700 . all of them were good but i kept the htf600 because i thought it had same sound signature like the jvc harx700 but with wider soundstage.
today i bought the KOSS ktx pro1 and i think it sounds a bit thinner compare to htf600 but it also got some very nice wider soundstage to it.
your rite it is all about the enclosure that this KOSS ktx pro1 uses.

May 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #95 of 134
  few days back i had htf600, hd518, jvc s500, samson sr950, harx700 . all of them were good but i kept the htf600 because i thought it had same sound signature like the jvc harx700 but with wider soundstage.
today i bought the KOSS ktx pro1 and i think it sounds a bit thinner compare to htf600 but it also got some very nice wider soundstage to it.
your rite it is all about the enclosure that this KOSS ktx pro1 uses.

Ha. I've been trying to sell my RX700 for months now, but only on this site.

Although I had already read about the KSC and KTX having the same drivers long ago, I also got to look at and touch them by taking the headphones apart. I did this because tiny pieces of hair (or even dust) got into them, making them rattle and sound bad from time to time. I have found that simply blowing into it (after opening up the headphones, but without removing the plastic cover over the driver) is the most efficient way to fix this potential issue.

May 22, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #100 of 134
Everyone says taht ksc75 sounds less bassy than portapro. Especially because portapro have headband which lets driver seat closer to ear.

btw, few months have passed and i still have not found anything more impressive than portapro. Especially now that summer has began and closed headphones are out of the question
I am also even more impressed now after finishing new Doom game with portapro. It handled heavy metal and huge explosions with east by blowing my head away :D

May 22, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #101 of 134

The KTXPRO1 has the same titanium-coated drivers as the KSC75. (The Porta Pro and Sporta Pro do not have titanium-coated drivers.) It's crazy how different they sound simply from the enclosure being different! Aside from the sparkly treble and spacious soundstage, I thought the KSC75 sounded hardly better than cheap earbuds (and pushing it closer to my ears didn't improve the sound either)...yet the KTXPRO1 easily competes with many (if not most) headphones in the three-figure range!

I bought a pair of KTXPRO1 more than a year ago because they use the same drivers as the KSC75. I thought they were awful. Uncomfortable, and completely goofy looking. I will admit they sounded similar to the PortaPros, but that wasn't what I was going for. I guess this shows how wildly our preferences vary.

My KSC75s died about a month ago and I loved them with the Parts Express headband. Now my main work headphones are KSC35s with the PE headband. I have an old pair of ATH-M50s, but they just sit in a drawer at work. I'd rather listen to the Koss'.

May 22, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #102 of 134
  Everyone says taht ksc75 sounds less bassy than portapro. Especially because portapro have headband which lets driver seat closer to ear.

btw, few months have passed and i still have not found anything more impressive than portapro. Especially now that summer has began and closed headphones are out of the question
I am also even more impressed now after finishing new Doom game with portapro. It handled heavy metal and huge explosions with east by blowing my head away :D

Yes, I heard it too and I may purchase KSC 75 and take the driver out and put it onto PortaPro since I do not like the cheap look of KSC75.
I saw on head-fi that some people did the wire mesh mod with grado earpad. I am not sure how it change the Sound and keen to hear if anyone has done the mod.....

What I have done so far is (1) applying Kramer Mod + cut the centredome out (2) Add 75ohm resister. I have not changed the earpad yet.  
By adding 75ohm resister, it helped to tighten the bass and improve the overall tonal balance.
However, the mid & high is still a bit veiled.... I guess that it is because of the foam earpad...and not sure how to improve clarity further. 

May 22, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #104 of 134
I bought a pair of KTXPRO1 more than a year ago because they use the same drivers as the KSC75. I thought they were awful. Uncomfortable, and completely goofy looking. I will admit they sounded similar to the PortaPros, but that wasn't what I was going for. I guess this shows how wildly our preferences vary.

My KSC75s died about a month ago and I loved them with the Parts Express headband. Now my main work headphones are KSC35s with the PE headband. I have an old pair of ATH-M50s, but they just sit in a drawer at work. I'd rather listen to the Koss'.

How long did you try the KTX? Did you try it with all genres of music? What are your thoughts on the sound? (Aside from being similar to the Porta Pro, which I have never heard.) I've been using it for months with all types of music, and sometimes (but not most of the time) I like it even more than STAX electrostats! (Which are my favorite overall. I know you like electrostats too.) Its main flaw, in my opinion, is that it has somewhat boosted bass and lower mids, which can at times make things sound a little muddy or muffled, but thankfully, with most music, it just gives it more impact. It's also borderline bright, but not bright enough to be a major problem. EQ (guides in my signature) makes it more accurate, as with any headphone. I've fallen in love with its snappy, engaging sound. I never would have imagined such a cheap headphone could sound better than most headphones I've heard that cost ten to twenty times more. I have also experienced different sound from it by pairing it with various electronics. Right now I'm using it with a Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp/DAC. One of the biggest improvements is when I switched to HQPlayer. Everything sounds much more realistic now. (It applies DSP, but in a way that is arguably higher fidelity.) Like I mentioned before, I also compared it to a KSC75, but the KSC was used, so it's possible that it may not sound as good as a new one. I found it so strange that the KTX and KSC have the same drivers, yet sound so different. I thought the bass and mids of the KSC were hardly better than Apple earbuds, and pushing them closer to my ears did nothing to improve the sound. (The treble and soundstage are quite nice, at least.) The KTX is much higher fidelity, in my experience. The KSC only sounded better one to five percent of the time. I also tried the UR40, which attempts to be more of a reference headphone, but falls short.

I am curious about the KSC35. Can you tell me how it differs in sound from the KSC75 and KTXPRO1?

However, the mid & high is still a bit veiled.... I guess that it is because of the foam earpad...and not sure how to improve clarity further. 

I'm really confused how the treble of the KSC75 could ever sound veiled, because it's more than a little bright, albeit in a sparkly, fun way.

Maybe I should get another KSC75 (new this time) and modify it to see how good it can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back