Is it worth upgrading from a Shure SRH-840 to a Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 Ohm)?
Aug 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Meh

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I think it's because Beyerdynamic is discontinuing the older lines (from what I heard), but the DT 880 600 Ohm is locally on sale for $250. I currently have the SRH-840 running through my ASUS Xonar Essence STX on my computer and to be clear, it's the only time I would be using it. Should I bother with the upgrade? I'll probably sell the 840 to help fund the 880. I listen to everything, but moreso rock, classical, R&B, and rap. I was originally saving up and waiting on the Ultrasone Pro 900 to go on sale again for the $300 range, because I already have a more analytical Shure SE535. Should I bother with the 880 in this case?

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I used to have the 840s couple of years ago. They were brilliant. I wouldn't call the Pro 900s an upgrade. Even I wanted to get 900s at one point, had a listen to them in one of the meets. Then decided that they weren't for me. Typical Ultrasone 'U' signature with unrefined treble and a lot of hard hitting bass. Can't comment on 880s as I've never heard them. You might need an amplifier if you're going to get 880s as your sound card won't cut the mustard.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I used to have the 840s couple of years ago. They were brilliant. I wouldn't call the Pro 900s an upgrade. Even I wanted to get 900s at one point, had a listen to them in one of the meets. Then decided that they weren't for me. Typical Ultrasone 'U' signature with unrefined treble and a lot of hard hitting bass. Can't comment on 880s as I've never heard them. You might need an amplifier if you're going to get 880s as your sound card won't cut the mustard.

Really? While I'm sure there would be a benefit from another amp, isn't the Essence STX able to handle 600 Ohms?

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 10
I've owned both the Shure 840s and the DT880 600 ohms.  They are both great neutral sounding headphones.  I was actually very impressed with the Shure 840s but felt that the comfort wasn't quite there, they were too heavy and the earcups got hot and sweaty after about 30 minutes.  The DT880s will be an upgrade, although I don't know if it would be WAY better, due to the 840s already being pretty good in their own right.  The biggest difference though is that the DT880s are open cans, which will have a much greater soundstage and open air feeling to them.  Open cans however, will leak sound, so you can forget about any type of sound isolation.  The DT880s however, are very light and VERY comfortable.  I believe the STX should be able to handle the DT880 600 ohms just fine as long as you set it to high gain.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I've owned both the Shure 840s and the DT880 600 ohms.  They are both great neutral sounding headphones.  I was actually very impressed with the Shure 840s but felt that the comfort wasn't quite there, they were too heavy and the earcups got hot and sweaty after about 30 minutes.  The DT880s will be an upgrade, although I don't know if it would be WAY better, due to the 840s already being pretty good in their own right.  The biggest difference though is that the DT880s are open cans, which will have a much greater soundstage and open air feeling to them.  Open cans however, will leak sound, so you can forget about any type of sound isolation.  The DT880s however, are very light and VERY comfortable.  I believe the STX should be able to handle the DT880 600 ohms just fine as long as you set it to high gain.

Hmm.. so audio-wise it's not much of an upgrade? Mostly on the comfort side? I agree that it does sometimes get a bit sweaty after a bit, but I was more interested in an audio improvement. Also, they're completely open? I thought they were semi-open and someone mentioned to me it was going to sound in but not much out. I ask because it'll be used in the bedroom next to my wife who wouldn't appreciate it late at night. :p It's why I've stayed away from some great Sennheiser cans these last couple of years.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Where did you get the price?
4.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 10
The improvement is there, but I'm just saying that the 840s are already pretty good to begin with, so the law of diminishing returns is pretty apparent.  If you look at my profile, you will see that I've owned anywhere from 30-40 different pairs of headphones from low to mid/high price ranges.  The DT880s is probably the 2nd or 3rd best pair of headphones I've ever used (right behind the 650s and D2000s), but the 840s are no slouch either, and definitely in the top 10.  As far as closed headphones go, i found the 840s very impressive.

Beyer lists them as semi-open but honestly they are pretty much open.  They leak almost as much sound as my HD650s. 

Again I emphasize that the law of diminishing returns is very apparent as you move up in scale on headphones.  The SRH840s are one of the best closed pairs of headphones I've used in the 100-150 dollar price range.  The DT880s however, are also probably the best in its range too, esp if you can score a 600 ohm pair for 250 brand new.  Realistically if I was going to use some scale for comparrison.  If the an Audio Technica M50 is a 7, the SRH840 is a 7.75, be prepared to jump to an 8.25 with the DT880s (with the HD650s probably being an 8.5)

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
The improvement is there, but I'm just saying that the 840s are already pretty good to begin with, so the law of diminishing returns is pretty apparent.  If you look at my profile, you will see that I've owned anywhere from 30-40 different pairs of headphones from low to mid/high price ranges.  The DT880s is probably the 2nd or 3rd best pair of headphones I've ever used (right behind the 650s and D2000s), but the 840s are no slouch either, and definitely in the top 10.  As far as closed headphones go, i found the 840s very impressive.

Beyer lists them as semi-open but honestly they are pretty much open.  They leak almost as much sound as my HD650s. 

Again I emphasize that the law of diminishing returns is very apparent as you move up in scale on headphones.  The SRH840s are one of the best closed pairs of headphones I've used in the 100-150 dollar price range.  The DT880s however, are also probably the best in its range too, esp if you can score a 600 ohm pair for 250 brand new.  Realistically if I was going to use some scale for comparrison.  If the an Audio Technica M50 is a 7, the SRH840 is a 7.75, be prepared to jump to an 8.25 with the DT880s (with the HD650s probably being an 8.5)

Ah, thanks then. Maybe I'll just return them then. Open cans are pretty much a no no for me since I like to listen to my music relatively loud. =\ And for that much of a boost I'm not sure I can see the point in keeping them. Back to pining away for the Ultrasone Pro 900's then.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Ah, thanks then. Maybe I'll just return them then. Open cans are pretty much a no no for me since I like to listen to my music relatively loud. =\ And for that much of a boost I'm not sure I can see the point in keeping them. Back to pining away for the Ultrasone Pro 900's then.

Not necessarily. I would strongly advise you to audition Pro 900s before you take the plunge as you like 840s. Denon D2000s are another option and they are closed so you don't have to worry much about the leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back