Is it worth it to rip CD collections to FLAC anymore?
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #106 of 112
I had many too. Doing as many as I could each day over several months. I would do it from my laptop in the background while I was online - glad to have it done (but then you realize you'd better keep a variety of back-up copies...).
Well worth it for me.
Then I discovered how I could RIP SACD's and started again with those....
I prefer local storage, not a streaming service.
yeah and when the internet goes out you can still listen to music. Owning is better than renting.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #107 of 112
yeah and when the internet goes out you can still listen to music. Owning is better than renting.
And if war goes loose, the infraestrictire wolk be down (no powers no cellular no internet)

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #108 of 112
And if war goes loose, the infraestrictire wolk be down (no powers no cellular no internet)
I am ready. I have solar and a backup battery. Music is on sd cards. No internet needed. My Head-fi time will be cut down though so no worries for all of you fancy streaming audiophiles, since I won't be able to hassle you. :)

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #109 of 112
Going to FLAC CD format is the best way to fly. One FLAC file. Dump scans of all the artwork to the .flac. If you want access to the FLAC CD as singles, make a playlist and get FLAC CD singles.

221104_FLAC_CD_is_the_way_to_fly.png

This thing makes FLAC CDs just right. https://40th.com/jb/ has more pics, and there are a few amateur videos available at a link on that web page. This player could drive four subwoofers without anything special - no need for a new, 2023 model Denon AVR at USD1699 and up. Sure, doing 4 SWs is funny.

May 25, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #111 of 112
O have seen some albums - invluding some recent releases rhat are nor avoidable on ant streaming platform
To restrict yourself to what is available at the moment, unpredictable even for short term future - no way. If I have a music then I will have it 'till my death.
Keeping at least 3 copies for all important data (music, ebooks included).

May 25, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #112 of 112
To restrict yourself to what is available at the moment, unpredictable even for short term future - no way. If I have a music then I will have it 'till my death.
Keeping at least 3 copies for all important data (music, ebooks included).
TvF is whar i do three external hard drives, one which i always carry pn my bag.
I rip CD to flac default aettings (compression level 5 and at 16bit 44.1kHz) usinf db oweramp CD ripper with aaccurip.
SACD have been ripped to DSF usinf a pioneer bluray player and sacd-extract in CLI Mode.

I aways purchase digitak download startinf at the Highest sample rate available, eg DSD then 24bit fjac, then 16bit flac and finally physical media.

At home i listen as is with a DMP-Z1, on yhe go audiophile a NW-WM1A and otherwise on thw go lossy ab NW-A25 with AAC 240kbps vbr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back