Is it worth hundreds of dollars for upgraded headphone cables?
Sep 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #272 of 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelPix 

That's a good point.  The delay wouldn't be audible at all.
To be honest it's probably more the properties of the silver (or even the fact that the split signal has to rejoin when the cable terminates that causes the audible differences (but probably not)), now that I think about it.

Sorry, but there is no "splitting" of the signal that subsequently gets "rejoined" when the cable terminates.

Where on earth did you get this idea from?

se

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #273 of 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell 

lol u noob? I just cut it from the reply, and type something, then paste the quote in prior. Also, if you make a smiley...

I've been communicating in online forums for over 25 years. Hardly a noob.

I know how to work my way around it, but that wasn't my point.

My point was that it shouldn't have to be worked around. And if this is now the "normal" mode for the forums, then it's incredibly stupid.

se

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #274 of 287

I agree entirely, Steve. I was just kidding at you. :p
Quote:

I've been communicating in online forums for over 25 years. Hardly a noob.

I know how to work my way around it, but that wasn't my point.

My point was that it shouldn't have to be worked around. And if this is now the "normal" mode for the forums, then it's incredibly stupid.

se

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #275 of 287
I was speaking of silver plated copper specifically, not pure metal.
If a cable is silver plated copper, wouldn't the signal get split between the silver and the copper under some conditions?
Quote:

Sorry, but there is no "splitting" of the signal that subsequently gets "rejoined" when the cable terminates.

Where on earth did you get this idea from?

se

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #276 of 287
I don't see any reason to buy a cable that has a serious problem with oxidation (both copper and silver) and certainly not one that costs quite a few Benjamins when the surface is acting like a semi-conductor and a diodic barrier.

Supra:
The diodes so formed between the strands are not seen by steady-state signals, but look like the plates of a high value capacitor to transient signals. This causes low-level energy storage and release after transients, that is invisible to steady-state testing yet nonetheless is perfectly audible with many music recordings.

Another incentive for choosing a cheaper cable is measurement and time domain scope pictures -> http://www.jenving.se/?p=ply and by that I can remove one variable and just view it as it should be.. a passive device. The active devices in the chain yields greater gain in sound when going up the price-ladder, heck.. I'll rather choose EQ as tone-control than exotic headphone cables.

Having to many variables to take into consideration is for me a pest, let's say I settle with a good and expensive headphone and view an amplifier as just that, choosing a neutral one that adds as little of distortion as possible within a certain price frame matching somewhat the expense of the headphone. Then I could put those Benjamins to good use, clock-locking the transport to the master clock in the DAC with it's good and clean PSU.

Which leaves me just to worry about the plethora of analogue stages after the DAC, with an endless rolling of opamps, discrete designs and tubes for that matter, that would keep me busy for at least a couple of years.

Such a solution is more rewarding, but the best about the whole darn thing.. I can read up on it (white-papers, forums etc.) and gain valuable knowledge and experiences that can be applied and thereby makes it all more worthwhile on (in fact) many different planes.

One path to thread makes good headway and to me it makes that more sense directing ones effort to concentrate on the tangible principles, but your mileage may vary.. of course.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #277 of 287

I don't see how it would. Yes, the electrons may travel slightly faster through silver, but in all likelihood they will not stay in either conductor. That is, they are free to move between the silver and the copper based purely on which is "easier" to navigate through at the time. Maybe if the current were so incredibly low that the silver would never become saturated with flowing electrons then very few electrons would travel along the copper, assuming the silver is consistent.

I was speaking of silver plated copper specifically, not pure metal.
If a cable is silver plated copper, wouldn't the signal get split between the silver and the copper under some conditions?

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #278 of 287
My own subjective experiences with silver plated copper ICs do not support the idea that they sound any different from plain copper.  That's not much compared to Nick Charles' tests, but take it for what its worth.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #279 of 287

Well damn it, don't be so subtle about it!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I agree entirely, Steve. I was just kidding at you. :p

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #280 of 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelPix 

I was speaking of silver plated copper specifically, not pure metal.

No.

se

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #283 of 287

Quote:
My verbosity was at the cleaners.
biggrin.gif

Oh, hey, I can write below the quotes now.

se

Yay. They fixed it!

Quote:
Steve Eddy said:

Well damn it, don't be so subtle about it!
biggrin.gif

I've always liked your non nonsense approach to this stuff. I respect you man, if I make a rib at ya' it's exactly that. Harmless ribbing. :p

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #285 of 287
I have an interesting new addition to this discussion. I have a Spritzer modded SRD-7, Nova Stax. I just got some anti-cable for the SRD-7. Technically, that is a headphone cable right? Well, if you will allow that, I can say that there has been a change. I can hear parts of the music, effects, mixed in low volume sounds, which I previously did not hear. The soundstage has become even more defined and the overall sound is clearer. This was not an expensive upgrade. I spent $30 on these anti-cables.

So, I would say that you do not have to spend much on cables. Spend it on the other parts of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back