Is it worth hundreds of dollars for upgraded headphone cables?
Sep 1, 2010 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 287

armyowalgreens

Head-Fier
I ask this because I've gotten two very distinct answers.

1. It's worth every penny.

2. It's a complete rip-off. 

The difference between AKG-702s and AKG-702s with ALO cable is 140 dollars. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 287
Quote:
I ask this because I've gotten two very distinct answers.

1. It's worth every penny.

2. It's a complete rip-off. 

The difference between AKG-702s and AKG-702s with ALO cable is 140 dollars. 

I think, unfortunately, you will have to decide for yourself, as like you said, there are two sides of the fence on this. I have no personal experience A/Bing cables yet (until my LCD-2s and ALO cable show up later this week :D) but cables do have an effect on the sound. Whether the "improvement" in sound with a third-party cable is worth getting is up to your pocketbook, imo.

I hope that helps.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 287
Well, that only you can tell.
Regardless what other members around here say only you have your set of ears and wallet. What is worth it to some may not be worth it to others, either because they hear too small of an improvement and/or because of the price tag.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 287
No.

The debate will kick off shortly, but keep in mind that the controversy has been going for a good 30 years.  Brilliant minds, extensive tests, top-shelf test gear, and much else have never turned up a thing.

Cable "differences" are real in the same sense that tarot card readings, astrology and healing crystals are real.

If you believe in the paranormal, you might find cables to "work" for you.

Also keep in mind that not everyone hears a difference - you might spend a lot of money to discover that you're one of those who doesn't hear the claimed results.  I didn't when I bought aftermarket cables.

Further, if you want to try different cables, you can DIY them for about 10% of the price.  There's no need to pay $140 when you can do the same for $10-$20.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 287
Should be an interesting thread to get different opinions.  I'm on the fence with this and trying to decide whether to do cables on the cheap, DIY or expensive stuff.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 287
I would trust your ears over any others. By this I mean try them and decide for yourself.  I believe they are worth every penny, Uncle Erik not so much, but we still both love our music to death.  And so now to prevent the matter and anti-matter that Uncle Erik and I are to each other, I take my leave.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 287
Have them give you the original cable too. If you can't tell a difference, send it back. If they won't give you a return, don't bother.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 287
The evidence that such cables work is purely personal experience by people who have tried them. Some have also tried them and found that they make no difference. So straight away it is hit and miss. Then the science of electrical measurements and trials between cables strongly suggests that there is no difference in the actual cables themselves that is audible. So the most likely conclusion is that such cables only work if the user wants them to work and it is all in the mind.

So they can and do work, but is for a reason many reject and even hate the suggestion of.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 287
(Holds and bites his tongue) ARGHHHHHHHHH!  Wow that hurt.  But better you see.

wink.gif
popcorn.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 287
#2 is the option supported by objective evidence.  Many companies make rather bold claims about the cables they sell but they've never managed to come up with anything to support them other than subjective impressions.

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 287
I think this exact thread ran its course 2 weeks ago.  Scroll back a few pages for "answers".  On head-fi you'll hear the whole range of opinion from "buying cables = death" to "can't live without it".  The poll that was taken in one of the threads seemed tipped slightly more towards the cable-tolerant side, but the cable cynics on head-fi are pretty hardcore.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back