Is it worth getting an amp with the iPod Touch?
Nov 2, 2007 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

outlandos

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the long title, but I am waiting on the Westone 3's and wondering if getting an amp like the upcoming Predator would make a big difference if my main source will be an iPod Touch. Because SQ-wise the Touch ain't very good, so would adding an amp increase the quality of the sound by much?

Cheers

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't have the touch but I have the iPhone and various iterations of the iPod. All of my headphones sound better with an amp and the iPhone than they do without. However, generally if I listen to music on the iPhone I use e2cs and no amp. Mostly because I just put stuff on the iPhone to listen to if for some reason I'm stuck somewhere waiting. I listen to my iPods though around the house so I do amp them.

It will make a difference but you might or might not want to bother with it.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Err I really hate to say this,
but if you use amp/itouch combination, doesn't that kill it's flexibility?
Because, iTouch isn't all about music player right? since you will use it for browsing, watching video, etc. If you stuck it with an amp, doesn't that create more hassle when you want to do other task than listening music?

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 15
I have an IPhone and E500s and they are a perfect traveling combo, just a tad eq in the treble and I dont need to add anything else. My Ety ER4ps dont work near as well for my tastes.

My 6th gen IPOD sounds good straight out, but it benefits greatly by using my UHA-3 with it on either the Etys or the Shures.

I would imagine the Touch would sound awesome with the Westones

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 15
I run my Ipod shuffle with an amp to my UM2 to reduce the amount of hiss. but it makes a diiferent in SQ and bass impact =)

I reckon it enhance the SQ to a certain extent with an amp. But is it worth the trade-off, U have to judge it.

Why not just try them out? if its possible to audition with your gears. At least it can be done in Singapore =)

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err I really hate to say this,
but if you use amp/itouch combination, doesn't that kill it's flexibility?
Because, iTouch isn't all about music player right? since you will use it for browsing, watching video, etc. If you stuck it with an amp, doesn't that create more hassle when you want to do other task than listening music?

Yes, it would kill it's flexibility, but I would only use the amp while sitting at home.

And I was wondering, with all the high-end stuff (Westone 3's, Predator), would the iPod Touch kill a lot of the SQ because of it being the weakest link?

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 15
FYI, you'd need a line out adapter if you plan on using an external amp. There are many options from vendors like APureSound, ALO Audio, Qables, etc.

And you don't really need an amp if you plan on using just an IEM. I don't understand why so many people around here get an amp for IEMs - they're already extremely efficient and in most cases they're designed to run from integrated headphone jacks.

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, you'd need a line out adapter if you plan on using an external amp. There are many options from vendors like APureSound, ALO Audio, Qables, etc.

And you don't really need an amp if you plan on using just an IEM. I don't understand why so many people around here get an amp for IEMs - they're already extremely efficient and in most cases they're designed to run from integrated headphone jacks.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to hear. I am a total amp newby, so I did not know this. I guess I will just stick with my iPod Touch and the upcoming Westone 3's. That on it's own, already should sound great!
orphsmile.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I use a unity-gain go-vibe for my UM2. the go-vibe serves as a line attenuator to kill the hiss from noisy or extremely loud sources.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I don't understand why so many people around here get an amp for IEMs - they're already extremely efficient and in most cases they're designed to run from integrated headphone jacks.

There is an improvement, albeit marginal, in clarity, soundstage, and dynamics using an amp - even with the E500s or other sensitive IEMs. Every so often I go line-out to Go-Vibe just to eek out that incremental SQ bump to raise the enjoyment bar for fun. Pretty quick to ditch the extra gear as well, however, as the belt-drag starts getting old.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't personally have the IPod Touch but I have a normal IPod.

I bought a Headphone Amp from Miniature Audio and I absolutely love it. I notice a HUGE difference with it on and off. Although one poster mentioned it does take away from it a little given the amp is bigger than the Ipod but it doesn't bother me much. Honestly it depends on what you want it for. If you are looking to jog/run/bike/do some sort of activity, then it may not be worth while. If you are looking to chill-ax, listen to some tunes, go anywhere you want and bring your music with you, then I'd highly recommend it.

That's my 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 15
i had a ipod touch and
hooking tht up with the headsix
was sure an experience.

if you want some good sounds
get some LOD and some nice amp. it is a hassle to have an amp but well worth it.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 15
I use IEMs straight out of an iPod and an iPhone without an amp. I only use the HeadSix on the rare occasions when I want a full-sized headphone out of the house.

Unless you have a line-level out from your DAP, running a second amp from your DAP's amp necessarily increases distortion. Every amp distorts, so putting two of them back-to-back inflates distortion. That is why I prefer to run IEMs directly out.

If you have to take full-sized headphones along, you might as well do it right and use a line out dock with an amp.

Instead of dropping $300-$500 on a portable setup, I think the money would be better spent on a pair of high end fullsize cans.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no line-out dock made by ALO or otherwise that has the proprietary chip inside that allows audio out from the iPhone's USB port to a portable amp.

I've read that it is a requirement to have the chip for the iPhone (currently only available in the Apple Component and Composite AV cables) and that the iPods Touch and Classic firmware currently are OK without chip present, but could be limited in the future.

The only way I can currently amp my iPhone is Apple Composite AV cable to RCA inputs on Headfive. I couldn't hook it up to my Go-Vibe (using my ALO Copper Dock, for example) unless I went mini to mini.

The weird thing is that iPhone outputs audio to my Belkin car charger/line out (a strange exception according to most sources).

Anyone know any differently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back