Is It Time for a Change from the DT 931?
Nov 21, 2004 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 931 headphones for well over a year now. In that time I have come to appreciate their comfort, their open, airy sound, and their detail. However, I sometimes feel they're a bit bright and they're not always the best cans for rock, which I probably listen to 50% of the time.

Is there another headphone out there that has a similiar sound signature and comfort but with perhaps a bit more emphasis in the lower frequencies? I've listened to the DT880 briefly. The sound was not terribly different from the DT 931, but perhaps they'll give me a touch more bass. Another headphone that I think might fit the bill but that I haven't heard is the AKG 501, and I have always wanted to audition a pair of Grado SR225. Of the limited headphones I've had a chance to audition I've rarely found a headphones that give the same level of detail that are in the same price range.

I'd really like to sell or trade the DT 931s for another pair of headphones, but I have this sneaking suspicion I'm going to miss them when they're gone. By the same token I want to at least try to fund picking up a another set of cans by selling the old ones. This may never happen but at least you guys can help me put something on my wish list.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 16
If it's more bass you want, I don't think the K501 is the way to go. They're more for classical music IMO, and definitely don't rock out. The SR225 will give you more impact (and bass) with rock. You may also like the A900, or the more aggressive CD3000.

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 16
I've heard the CD3000 and they aren't for me. I didn't particularly like their sound and their a bit more money than I want to spend.

The A900 is an interesting suggestion. Is there any point in saving a few bucks and getting the A500 or A700?

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I've heard the CD3000 and they aren't for me. I didn't particularly like their sound and their a bit more money than I want to spend.

The A900 is an interesting suggestion. Is there any point in saving a few bucks and getting the A500 or A700?

Yeah, I do recall you saying that you are sensitive to brightness, and since you've already heard them anyway, the CD3000's are definitely out.

I've owned both the A500 and the A900 in the past, and I don't think you could go wrong either way. I would assume the A700 is somewhere in the middle soundwise which ain't a bad place to be, but if for psychological reasons only (fear of missing out on something), you would probably be better off going with the A900 if you can swing it.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 16
Does anybody else have any suggestions regarding headphones in the <=$200 range, with detail and comfort comparable to the DT 931 but with a bit more bass?

This is Head-Fi, isn't it?
tongue.gif

So far, I've got the A900 and possibly the SR225. Is that it?
confused.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 16
For less than $200, I don't think there are many good alternative full headphones that resemble the DT-931. Most of the Senns I have tried sound much thicker. To me, the only thing that sort of resembles the DT-931 are Grado headphones.

I can make my DT-931 sound flabby and boomy if I significantly increase the output impedance of headphone jack. The entire sonic balance changes.

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 16
OK. I am not unhappy with my DT 931. I actually think they are an outstanding headphone for the price. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Yes, increasing the output impedence does change the sound. I have a 120 ohm adapter and it can help. Although, I'm not necessarily looking for boomy and flabby.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 16
I would think the DT 531 would be a step back in terms detail and clarity, but never having heard them I don't really know. Since the DT 531 is discontinued, would the DT 440 be the next closest thing?

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 16
The 531 probably is a step down in clarity and detail to the 931 (the 931 was my first pair of Beyers) and really they dont sound all that much alike, the 931 has a much leaner and brighter balance overall, the 531 has got much more bass impact though, and are generally more forgiving and for me also slightly more natural, YMMV though and second hand is now the only option to try those.

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 16
How about recabling them with a better quality cable? Throw some 100-120 ohm resistors in the path to make the 931's usable on any amp.

I realize doing this is a crapshoot, and messes up a stock unit. But it might pay off. When fed with the right source (including the added output resistance), I don't think you can find a better can in that price range than the Beyers.

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Recabling is an interesting idea. However, I just pulled apart the cups and it's going to take a "professional" job to do it right. The problem is that I'll probably end up spending just as much as what I paid for the headphones in order to recable. I'm thinking that in the long run if I want to get a different headphone I'd be better off saving the money I'd spend on recabling and sell the DT 931 and putting it all towards another headphone. What that might be, I don't know yet.

The DT 931 is really a good headphone. You guys have helped convince me that I should probably just stick with it for the medium term, until I can afford the PS-1.
icon10.gif
Uh well, maybe that's the long term. In the meantime if I need a little extra bass I can always try my HD 25 or even my PortaPros!
basshead.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Hi! I have the 931's (new purchase, only listened for a couple of hours so far), the 880's, the 531's, and the 501's. I also own Senns but you say you don't want the Senn sound. If you want the detail of the 931's but a little more bass, then try the 880's. I find them a lot smoother sounding than the 931's, which may mean you won't find them as "detailed," but there is definitely a tad more bass. I also think the 531's sound quite similar, and quite good. Not a lot more bass though. The AKG 501's are airy and detailed but do not give as much bass as the 880's or any of my Senns. I think, so far, I prefer the 880's to the 931's, but then I like smooth rather than super-detailed.

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 16
I also have the dt931's and the dt880's, and I cycle between the two (shrugs, hands up in the air). I also like the detail, but on some recordings they can be a little too bright or harsh. I made a 120 ohm adaptor, and this helps without making them lose too much of their signiture sound. However, I also like listening to my grado's sometimes.....enjoy the benefit of having multiple phones is my opinion. If you can afford it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back