Is it the source or the headphones that counts more?
Jul 9, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #61 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Here is a good comparison to try...

Take a set of Radio Shack speakers that retail for $100 a side, and compare them to JBLs that retail for $1,000 a side. Use the best source and amp possible.

Then take a low end Sony CD player, like the SCD-CE595 which costs around $100 and compare it to a Dennon that retails for a little over a grand. Play both of them back through the best speakers and amp you can find.

I'll bet you a dozen doughnuts and a sixer of Old Milwaukee that there's more of a difference in the first test than there is in the second.

Isn't this basically a forum for headphones? Wasn't the initial inquiry about headphones and sources? It seems to me that a comparison involving speakers is only somewhat relevant, as the differences between speakers involve different issues and different degrees of difference than the differences between headphones.

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #62 of 118
OK... just scale it back a bit since cans are generally less expensive than speakers...

Compare a pair of $40 Koss headphones to a pair of $400 Senns or Grados using the best source possible.

Then compare a $40 Coby CD player to a $400 Marantz using the best headphones and amp you can find.

Same doughnuts and sixer ride on the same result.

See ya
Steve

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #63 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
you pick headphones and speakers to get a certain character of sound. These are mechanical devices and vary greatly from one to the other. You pick a source just to plain make everything better, but it would be unusual to pick a source to acheive a certain "kind of sound." That said, I am a proud member of team Source First.

This is my thought too. All the headphones sound very different. But none of them will sound there best with out a truly good source.
Find the headphones that you like, buy them. Then go and get a great source, because without one you will never hear what they are capable of.
Team Source First.
600smile.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #64 of 118
Quote:

OK... just scale it back a bit since cans are generally less expensive than speakers...

Compare a pair of $40 Koss headphones to a pair of $400 Senns or Grados using the best source possible.

Then compare a $40 Coby CD player to a $400 Marantz using the best headphones and amp you can find.

See ya
Steve

It's not just a matter of scaling back. IMO, unlike speakers, it is easier to have many sets of headphones sound quite good with decent equipment, although they may sound somewhat different from one another. Also, I find it easier to tell the differences between sources with headphones than with speakers. In addition, with speakers you don't have to worry about room acoustics, and variances with the soundstage are much less. Thus, if I compare a $100 set of headphones with a $500 set of headphones with a great source and amp, I think that, while the sound may be different between the cans, I could be happy with both -- and in this respect I agree with jefemeister. On the other hand, either a $100 or $500 set of cans might not sound that good with a $1000 source, especially if the amp is capable of revealing all the source has, because a les expensive source of is capable of producing a significant amount of digital harshness, for example. It make take a $5000 source, IMO, to really produce a sound for either set of cans that I could live with and listen to for long periods of time without listener fatigue.

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #65 of 118
You really didn't offer any prediction on how the tests I proposed might turn out...

See ya
Steve

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #66 of 118
Because, to me, the difference between a $40 CDP and a $400 CDP might indeed be marginal, as I would not consider a $400 CDP to be a high quality source. I also have no experience with Koss headphones. In addition, comparing in the abstract high quality and low quality sources and high quality and low quality headphones is a different matter than specifically identifying the headphones and products for the comparison. You can more easily achieve the result you want in the latter case. In other words, I thought we were talking generally. I do agree that you could combine headphones and sources in such a way that the difference between two particular sources is not very noticeable while the difference between two particular headphones is. That's not the question presented by this thread, IMO.

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #67 of 118
You sure are good at giving complicated answers to simple questions! I think you're having fun with looking at things like that, so I won't force you to gaze upon the ugly gorgon of the self-evident any more.

See ya
Steve

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #68 of 118
Quote:

See ya
Steve

What ARE you talking about?
confused.gif

IMHO a $400 marantz CDP will trounce a $40 Coby very badly indeed. The best headphones will only make this difference more stark. This is true with the headphones as well. In an ideal world using a decent CDP (~2k) with a decent pair of headphones (Grado RS-1/HD-650 with a suitable amp) should be great. In the absence of that, I'd get a great set of cans first. Mainly because it is cheaper to get a truly great pair of headphones than to buy a great source.

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #69 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Because, to me, the difference between a $40 CDP and a $400 CDP might indeed be marginal, as I would not consider a $400 CDP to be a high quality source.

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly! Having been through the exercise of several cheaper players from $99 up to my current SACDP, I assure there is a difference between a $400 cd player and a "decent" cd player. (Albeit some $400 cd players can be astonishingly good value)

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #70 of 118
I'll take the Coby and the Senns any day of the week. This is the year 2005, a DAC is not that complicated or expensive to make. The players could use the same DAC for all we know and would not sound as different as a pair of Koss headphones and Sennheisers. You have people paying $400 for vintage portable CD players when the technology was first being developed. A $40 CD player is only cheap because the technology has improved over the years, the labor is cheaper and more are being made. Just because a CD player is less than $400 does not mean it is crap. In some cases, the extra money is spent on the chassis or botique parts.

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #71 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Find the headphones that you like, buy them. Then go and get a great source

Lol - I agree, but matey, how is this source "first"?
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #72 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
What ARE you talking about?
confused.gif

It's really very simple... which one of those two options would provide the most stark difference in sound quality?

It's not a trick question... it seems obvious to me that the differences between cheap electronics and expensive electronics are MUCH smaller than the differences between cheap headphones (or speakers) and expensive headphones (or speakers). The fact that people are dancing all around the issue without being able to address it simply and directly just shows how far audio talk has strayed from reality.

Here is a rant to get you thinking...

The problem with audio today is that it has no sense of scale... People spend all their time worrying about frequencies only bats can hear and dynamic ranges that no one can ever hope to listen to without incurring major hearing damage. Basic physics is completely thrown out the window and it's replaced by glittering generalities like "transparancy" and "texture" that are attempts to translate visual analogies to sound that just don't apply.

Here's a scientific puzzle I've been pondering lately...

Everyone talks about how low their headphones go... It's a matter of pride to participate in the low frequency limbo. Headphones are rated down into the 20s... Wow! Isn't that great! Well, what exactly does that mean?

Here is the formula for calculating the length of sound waves...

SPEED OF SOUND (1,130 feet per second) divided by the FREQUENCY (in hz) = LENGTH OF THE WAVE (in feet)

Got that? ...At 25hz the length of a single sound wave is around 45 feet long. That means that a single wave 45 feet long has to come out of the speaker in one second to reproduce that sound into the air. That's the length of a semi-truck coming out of your speakers every second.

Assuming you have speakers that are even capable of reproducing sound that low, you would need a room with a length of 45 feet to be able to even be able to fit that entire frequency in the room. But half that wave bounced off a wall of the room would create an entire wave, so that cuts it in half. If you set a speaker in the middle of a 22 foot long room, you'll be able to hear 25 hz. If you put the speaker up against the wall, you can cut that in half to 11 feet... in a corner, 5.5 feet... lower the roof, 2.5 feet... set it on the floor, 1.25 feet. (At this point, you have essentially created a horn that pushes low frequencies into a smaller space.) In theory, you could move in the sixth wall and cut that down to about .75 feet.

OK... here's my question... What kind of fifth dimensional physics does it require to be able to hear 25 hz when it's not .75 feet away, but pushed up a couple of milimeters from your ears? The headphones may put out that frequency, but even with the most golden ears, you aren't going to be able to hear it because there is no room for the wave to exist in the tiny gap between your headphone drivers and your noggin!

Do the math, and you'll quickly find out that the lowest frequencies that you can hear up close against your head like that is somewhere around 100hz. Guess what? Most home stereo speakers, even good ones, don't really reproduce much below 100 hz at normal volume levels. In order to push the cones back and forth fast enough to reproduce 25hz, the speaker cones have to be flapping back and forth 25 times a second. If you want to raise that to a volume where you can hear it, you are going to need a pretty powerful amp and pretty flexible speakers, because that's going to be enough to create a strong breeze! Most speakers are MUCH too rigid to be able to do that. That rigidity rolls the low frequencies off... usually at around 100 hz.

Now physics and mathematics weren't my strong suit in college, but I can use a calculator and figure things out close enough to know that the golden ears that claim to hear super low frequencies out of their headphones are claiming to hear stuff that they just plain can't hear or can't be perceived the way they are listening.

Once you wrap your head around a concept like this, you start wondering what other claims about high end sound are full of horse pucky... Do we really need SACDs capable of reproducing 2Mhz when our hearing at best only extends to 20hz? Is there an advantage to having a dynamic range of 120 db over having just 95 db, when 120db is the equivalent of putting your ear up next to a jackhammer? Do measurable, but minute differences in the conductivity of a power cable make any difference when the walls of your house are wired with plain old zip cord? What about interconnects... Is it possible to REALLY hear the difference? I don't know of a single A/B blind comparison where they anyone has been able to tell the difference... yet there are several published in magazines that proved the opposite is true... Hmmm... Makes you think, doesn't it?

OK... I've just dismissed most of the sacred cows around here. What exactly DOES matter?

1) Speakers or headphones that reproduce as close to 20hz to 20khz as possible BUT IN A BALANCED WAY. It doesn't matter if speakers or headphones put out extreme frequencies if they are unbalanced. Wolf tones, or spikes in certain frequencies, can be to your ears like the difference between lying on a bed of nails all of the same length, and lying on one with nails of a variety of lengths... OUCH! The louder you turn up the volume, the more that wolf tone digs into your eardrums. Very few speakers are really flat, but better ones get close. A slight EQ tweak can pull them into line. More expensive speakers are usually able to reproduce a wider range of sound than cheaper speakers, but there is no point in putting top end speakers in a 10 by 10 room. The space has to be large enough to encompass the longer wave lengths. The dirty truth is, we humans are MUCH more sensitive to frequencies between 100 hz and 10 khz than we are the frequencies beyond that. Most people aren't going to hear a heck of a lot of difference if a system only extends 10 to 10. And a balanced 10 to 10 system will always sound better than an unbalanced 20 to 20.

2) Source components that conform to our ability to hear... We can hear 20hz to 20khz, a dynamic range of 70db is as much as we really need and the threshold of detectability of distortion is somewhere around .7%. Just about every single CD player made meets those specs! You can get equipment that has better specs, but only your dog will appreciate it, because humans flat out can't hear what they can't hear.

3) Amplifying power sufficient to push the speakers or headphones adequately. This can vary from speaker to speaker and headphone to headphone, but most systems are capable of driving speakers or headphones to the edge of their rating with power levels WAY below the peak nowadays. Most good amps are overpowered by as much as four or five times. You just don't need that much headroom.

4) Well recorded, mixed and mastered music. Garbage in... garbage out.

EDIT: I've been asked to elaborate on this... No matter how well your system reproduces sound, it doesn't matter if the sound isn't in the music. A recording with a low end roll off at 400hz is going to sound thin, no matter how good the bass response of your speakers is.

It may come as a surprise, but we have been able to record to fully exploit the range of human hearing since around 1955. Even as far back as the introduction of electrical recordings in 1925, there were records that nailed the core range of human hearing... 100 hz to just under 10 khz. Going back even further to the acoustic era (around 1910), there are vocal records (the best ones were made by Enrico Caruso) that had amazingly lifelike presence and a dynamic range that would blow your socks off. Recording quality has never really been the problem.

Well, why do so many recordings suck then? The answer is bad engineering. In the past, master recordings might be dubbed disk to disk, with a tremendous loss of quality in the process. In more modern times, the use of sub-masters... and sub-sub-masters... and sub-sub-sub... etc masters took the same sort of toll. Today, engineers make very little effort to create realistic soundstages... miking everything up microscopically close and then trying to synthesize a soundstage in the mix. This results in sounds that could only exist in outer space... No wonder the music sounds so distant and flat! We can't relate to it the same way we can a musician performing right in front of us.

The best sounding music... the stuff that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up... is natural sounding. When you put on a CD, and suddenly its as if the musician is right there in the room with you, it's as startling as the voice of Caruso coming out of a Victrola must have been to people in 1910. --END EDIT

See ya
Steve

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #73 of 118
Quote:

I won't force you to gaze upon the ugly gorgon of the self-evident any more.

You've got to be kidding me.
600smile.gif
How about speaking English and trying to make sense. Big words are no substitute for rational thought stated in a clear and succint manner. But I guess when one is full of kaka, it becomes necessary to disguise it with words like "solipsism" and "gorgon." LOL.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #74 of 118
Quote:

OK... I've just dismissed most of the sacred cows around here. What exactly DOES matter?

2) Source components that conform to our ability to hear... We can hear 20hz to 20khz, a dynamic range of 70db is as much as we really need and the threshold of detectability of distortion is somewhere around .7%. Just about every single CD player made meets those specs! You can get equipment that has better specs, but only your dog will appreciate it, because humans flat out can't hear what they can't hear.

If you are suggesting that CDP's that meet the basic specs you are referencing sound exactly the same, you're just flat wrong, and I suspect 95% of the folks on this forum know that, so please stop trying to mislead the other 5%. And as far as sacred "cows" goes, you're just dispensing a lot of cow****, IMHO.
600smile.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #75 of 118
Sorry if I made you cry!

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back