Is it the source or the headphones that counts more?
Jul 6, 2005 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

chcokr

New Head-Fier
I've been curious about this for a long time.

You know, you can easily find those headfiends spending hundreds and thousands bucks on their headphones... But I've recently found out that some people spend a lot of money on sources like PCDP too. I'm a newb,
so I don't even actually understand how CDP's work. I've read an article
that different CDP's sounded nearly the same in a very strict test. Do
CDP's worth so much money? Is it just that i'm a newb? I guess it's better
to spend my money first on buying good headphones.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 118
I'm a supporter of team source-first, so i'll go ahead and throw the first stone - the source is more important than the headphones, IMO.

If you paired a Meridian G08 with a set of SR60's, it'd still sound great.
If you paired a Sony MDR-10 with a Soundblaster Live!... i'm sure you see what i mean.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
I'm a supporter of team source-first, so i'll go ahead and throw the first stone - the source is more important than the headphones, IMO.

If you paired a Sony MDR-10 with a Soundblaster Live!... i'm sure you see what i mean.

Actually, I don't see what you mean. Have you listened to a R10 out of a Soundblaster live? I haven't, but I have listened to one out of my iPod.

I am not a member of team "source-first" despite the fact I've got a pretty darn good source.

I'm not gonna take the easy way out by saying synergy is what matters. It's important as heck, but find headphones you like first, then find a system that synergizes with it and maximizes its potential.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant

At a head-fi meet I listened to a Teac Esoteric (not sure which model, but regardless, it's going to be more expensive than the G08) through Ety ER-6i, and it sounded pretty much the same as through any cheapo source. The cans affect the sound the most.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 118
The question may be a bit too simple to address all of the complexities in a real world situation, but, the simple answer would be that both are important. Without a good source, you may never know what you are missing - there is a saying, "Garbage in, garbage out" that addresses this. Without good cans, you won't be able to hear what your source might offer. Nevermind taking into account a proper amplifier, quality cabling, clean power, etc., which complicate matters.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 118
As has been indicated above, it is not possible to give a universal answer. One has to first define price range of the equipment.

I think headphones are the most important in the lowest end, say with $25 portable MP3 players, but pretty quickly the source becomes the most important and after that amplifying.

However, there are also other choices which are important. If one looks at the choice between tube and SS amplifying, all of a sudden the amp choice can be of greater importance than the one between phones and sources. But in the higher end of the price spectrum, I believe the source to be the most important.

To answer the poll: Both are important
icon10.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 118
I don't think it's rocket science to assume that the differences between all the headphones out there are far greater than the differences between all the different CDPs currently on the market IMO.

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 118
I'll throw another monkey in the wrench to stir debate: Would you rather have:

1) Meridian/Wadia/Cary type source + Ipod Earbuds

2) Crappy portable CDP from Best Buy + top of line headphones (Grado, Sennheuser, Beyer, Audio Technica, etc.)

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I'll throw another monkey in the wrench to stir debate: Would you rather have:

1) Meridian/Wadia/Cary type source + Ipod Earbuds

2) Crappy portable CDP from Best Buy + top of line headphones (Grado, Sennheuser, Beyer, Audio Technica, etc.)

Well, in line with my reasoning: Easily 2).

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 118
I agree with what White Fox said. Unless you are using a really crappy source, the headphones will make more of a difference. I think there is a larger difference between Grado SR-60s and Senn HD580s (both are good IMO, just different) than a $50 DVD player and a $2000 CD player. I am happy with the music from my Ipod and my computer sound card, but I am not happy with Sony MDR-V300 headphones.

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Well, in line with my reasoning: Easily 2).

True, I'll take the HE90 anyday! The Meridian 808 can wait!
lambda.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 118
you pick headphones and speakers to get a certain character of sound. These are mechanical devices and vary greatly from one to the other. You pick a source just to plain make everything better, but it would be unusual to pick a source to acheive a certain "kind of sound." That said, I am a proud member of team Source First.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back