Is it possible to mod iPod nano 3rd gen for extra storage?
Jun 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Norman314

Head-Fier
Is there any way to mod the 3rd generation iPod nano so as to install additional storage capacity?  Obviously, Apple intends that this can't be done, but it seems like it would be pretty straightforward to just crack it open and replace the memory chip with a higher-capacity one.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Good luck. You would need to find a compatible memory module and have a very fine soldering iron to install it. Imo it is a better idea to spend $50 and buy a 2GB Sandisk Clip+($30), and a 32GB  class 4 microSDHC card($20) to put in it(The Clip+ has a micro SDHC card slot). Some have said the Clip+ will even take a 64GB micro SDXC card if it is formatted as FAT32. Sandisk advises against doing this though. Would 34GB of storage be enough for you?

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 5
I have a Sansa Fuze with 40 GB storage, and I'm aware that other digital players exist. It's not a matter of the price. It's just that I really like the user interface software and form factor of the iPod Nano 3rd gen. (and yes, I have tried Rockbox) But I don't know the first thing about soldering, so clearly this is not a mod I could do myself. It's probably better just to shop for another digital player.

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi,

I have the same problem.
I don't like any of the new touch iPods and the 3rd generation Nano was the best iPod they made. It actually updated on the fly playlists etc.

Have you had any luck finding someone who is able to turn a 3rd generation nano into 32gb storage?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back