Is it OK to Convert twice as in from Flac to 320 kbps to 192 kbps?
Aug 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

camoton

New Head-Fier
I did a search and tried to find an answer but couldn't. Is this good? Will a rip to 192 kbps sound better than a conversion of 192 kbps and by how much?

As in from flac to 320kbps to 192 kbps?
in that order

all my music is in 320 kbps and want to convert to 192 kbps

and the file is mp3 lame

am i wasting my time by doing this?

BTW i have Brainwavz M2 and an ipod Touch 4g

One more question the ipod does play higher than 128 kbps when listening on eaphones right? sorry for Noob questions :frowning2:

THanks

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 24
While a straight conversion from 320 CBR MP3 to 192 kbps MP3 is not going to sound horrible, you're better off directly converting from the original lossless source (FLAC, WAV, etc.) to 192. There will be low level noise, loss of detail resolution, and appearance of additional artifacts if you convert a 192 kbps from an already lossy 320 kbps source. Second, why do you want to convert to 192 kbps anyway? Do you need to store so much music on your iPod such that you need to store your music in 192? If so, you're better off encoding to LAME V2 VBR, where you won't get as much of a quality hit for the file size.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the computer audio section, not in portables.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 24
Buy the CDs. Then you can recode anything any time from the flacs you ripped.

FLAC -> 320 -> 192 will sound more like FLAC -> 160 than FLAC -> 192. If you like 160 then don't worry about it I guess.

An iPod, and any MP3 player, will play a song at whatever bitrate the file is encoded. I don't know what you're asking about "play higher than 128kbps" unless it's that.

Quote:
ok thanks

so a direct 320 kbps to 192 kbps in not bad i might do that since i do not want to download everything in flac
my bad how do u move the thread

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 24
Transcoding is blasphemy of the highest degree. Everyone should know that.

So no. Don't do it. It isn't okay. Lossless to Lossy and Lossless to Lossless are the only encoding methods that should be allowed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 24
Watch the movie Multiplicity where they make a clone of a clone of Michael Keaton with fairly bizarre results. As one of the original clones explains: "You know how a photocopy of a photocopy is never as good as the original..."

(It's quite a funny Harold Ramis flick BTW - not as good as Groundhog Day but much better than Day One.)

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 24
maybe ist only me but in my setup: sansa clip plus + vsonic GR07 listen on FLAC or in 320kps cbr is the same. on expensive amps and expensive headphones i believe you can esealy listen diferences on mp3 320kps and FLAC but in portable devices,  FLAC will just drain battery quicker and will play a bitter loud compared to a 320 kbps.  

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 24
I don't believe it's that bad. A 320 MP3 is almost transparant so the audible difference between a 320 to 192 compared to a lossless to 192 MP3 will be neglectible.
But going further down with the 192 MP3 should be avoided, since it's a 2nd generation lossy.
I sometimes convert from MP2 128 (digital radio antenna) or extract audio from a video (transcoded to AAC) to ogg 112 after cutting tracks. If no other source is available, at least you have the format you prefer.
In your case it's MP3 to MP3, so it is just a bitrate/size thing. Then I would rather select fewer songs instead of transcoding.
Ogg should provide (now or in the future) the feature called bit-peeling. Although it kinda misses it's point knowing that ogg is not made for high bitrates. So why peel off from let's say 225 to 192? Only in special cases I go lower than 160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back