Is it ok to complain about someone playing music too loudly?
Jul 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the deal: I'm sitting at a long table at Starbucks. I have a pair of DBA-02s deep in my ears. I am listening to Bach. There's a guy at the end of the table playing music via cheap ear buds. I can HEAR his music even through my wall of Bach, and it's really annoying me.  Is it ever ok to say, Dude, turn your music down? Or, Dude, you got to get yourself some better 'phones!

(ps. The Bach sounds fantastic).

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
Here's the deal: I'm sitting at a long table at Starbucks. I have a pair of DBA-02s deep in my ears. I am listening to Bach. There's a guy at the end of the table playing music via cheap ear buds. I can HEAR his music even through my wall of Bach, and it's really annoying me.  Is it ever ok to say, Dude, turn your music down? Or, Dude, you got to get yourself some better 'phones!

The DBA-02's isolate poorly then.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:

Ask him nicely to turn down his music cause you can hear it through your headphones and music.  Ask him nicely, don't complain though.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 19
He may not hear you, so give him a signal to turn it down. Don't give out rude intentions though. Use this advice next time you see one of those "blasters," it will benefit both of you.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 19
Funny this should come up.
There is a local free paper on all the public transport services here in Melbourne, Australia call the MX. And it recently had an article from a commuter who has just started carrying scissors to cut the cable from headphones of people whom were listening to their music so loudly that it was annoying him and other passengers.

Paraphrasing, this is roughly how the article went:

"I recently started carrying a pair of scissors with my on my journey's to and from work to address the issue of indecent and loud music blarring from peoples headphones. Now I'm a pretty tolerant guy, but when it's got to the point that I can hear their music over my own, this has gone too far. I've cut 2 people's cables so far, I was met with jeers and clappings of approval one time. Now I'm a large bloke, over 6'6", so no-one is going to argue with me."

My first thought, never been so happy to have CIEM's, knowing my sound isn't filling the train with a vigilante cable cutter on the loose was relieving. Also the idea of him cutting through my ~$$$ pure silver cable, really made me think. Clearly he has no idea how much a cable can cost...

I personally don't think this is the correct way to go, but just thought I'd mention it given this topic just popped up so similar.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 19
In the face of an audiophile who just got his cable cut from his $1000 IEMs, the offender better jump out the window quickly, because he had just awakened Cerberus.   

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
The DBA-02's isolate poorly then.

What he said. I've only had one IEM, but with the right tips, I don't hear anyone, anywhere, ever.

Onto the question of morality. If it was at school, work, library or similar setting I'd say yeah go for it. But at Starbucks? Seriously? If somebody wants to do a rain dance while chanting at the top of their lungs in a Starbucks I'd say that's their dam right.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Onto the question of morality. If it was at school, work, library or similar setting I'd say yeah go for it. But at Starbucks? Seriously? If somebody wants to do a rain dance while chanting at the top of their lungs in a Starbucks I'd say that's their dam right.

Ain't there no public nuisance laws?

Quote:
In the face of an audiophile who just got his cable cut from his $1000 IEMs, the offender better jump out the window quickly, because he had just awakened Cerberus.   

Eh. What audiophile would be using IEMs that leak so much sound?

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Ain't there no public nuisance laws?

Well, at least in Canada we only have noise by-laws in residential areas (you know, for dogs, parties, private helicopters) and disturbing the peace. Other than that, I don't think so, no.

The question of public transit discussed above is a bit more complicated as you are actually stuck with these people for a good amount of time. But at Starbucks? Just grab your coffee and walk out if you are that concerned.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 19
eek.gif

That must have been pretty freaking loud if you can notice it with a pair of deeply fitted DBA-02; coming from a B2, which has better isolation than my customs.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
eek.gif

That must have been pretty freaking loud if you can notice it with a pair of deeply fitted DBA-02; coming from a B2, which has better isolation than my customs.

This ^

I also have the B2 - am having a hard time with the thought that you could hear his music over your own if you had a good seal with the DBA-02.  Confused ......

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 19
Unless you know sign language. I, personally wouldnt bother, listening that loud he is probably deaf anyway!  
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 19
it would depend on my mood and the music the person is listening to.

like say.. if i just got out of prison and i decide to chill on a starbucks for a bit, and this guy was bleeding arcade fire's no cars go all over the place, i'd probably start tapping on the table to the beat and jam with the guy

but if it was just another lousy day from work and this guy rocks out to some new pop crap or some bieber sh**, bleeding out from his apple stock buds and all, i'd probably use the earfone cables to strangle him LOL!

seriously... i'd try to start a conversation and educate about IEMs and noise bleed. and if everything goes well.. musical taste
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 19
I don't know how loud people like their music, but I'd guess that there are few who would turn up something to be louder than a person's voice. If it's about 63 dB at 1 metre, imagine how loud it is next to his ears.

Having said that, music from headphones is usually softer than people talking, however much I'd like to cut some throats of certain people.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 19
Just nicely ask the fellow to turn his music down. Some people just don't realize how loud their music is and a friendly reminder is all it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back