Is it just me?
Feb 1, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 36
Its amazing how many of these threads get started every week or so.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiker
Its amazing how many of these threads get started every week or so.
rolleyes.gif

and the quality of them keeps going down.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 36
Head-Fi now has 21,659 members, with new ones joining each day. The dynamics of any community that grows like Head-Fi has is bound to change, for better or worse, depending on your perspective. I personally think the core of Head-Fi has remained unchanged. For the most part, I don't think you will find a nicer group of people, always willing to help and answer questions.

But at the end of the day it is your choice to come here or not.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
is it just me or has the quality and content of Head-Fi gone down a lot lately?

Indeed. But here's the real question: do threads such as this cause the declining quality by calling it out? In other words, does the quality, or lack thereof, only exist in our heads? Quality, after all, is a very subjective term.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 36
Without sounding mean or anything,
but posts like this make me think: If your so worried about this sites content, why not do something else with your time?

You've been a member since october.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 36
I find it funny, you know? Every generation of head-fier seems to feel this way. I.e. when I first came here, I thought it was great. Now, to me, thinks aren't as. The head-fiers that arrived before me say that the content of my generation wasn't as good as their's was. Same with those that came before them. In a year or so, the active members of now will say that things have gone downhill since their time. Just keeps going. Are things really getting worse? Perhaps, perhaps not. I say, if you want better content, bring some. Start some quality threads (by your definition) or something. It's your job and those who feel the same way to turn up the heat and make things more enjoyable by your standards. It's our hands that turn the world after all. =)

. . . Although, the one thing you can't replace is the members that you know and admire. Even the ones you hate. You can't bring back the fights, the laughs, the words of wisdom, the merton-isms. Luckily nostaliga still exists in the form of old threads. All we say + do stays for eternity. I miss some of the regulars from around a year back. My generation. Sometimes they just disappear, and you can't change that. Nothing to do but move forward, I guess.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Head-Fi now has 21,659 members, with new ones joining each day. The dynamics of any community that grows like Head-Fi has is bound to change, for better or worse, depending on your perspective. I personally think the core of Head-Fi has remained unchanged. For the most part, I don't think you will find a nicer group of people, always willing to help and answer questions.

But at the end of the day it is your choice to come here or not.

So true. This site will only grow, and as the member base gets more diverse there are bound to be threads of "lesser quality" shall we say. If a thread doesn't interest you, is just plain stupid, or is obviously a topic created to be obnoxious/create controversy then I would highly suggest ignoring it and not posting in it. It kills me when people complain about a thread by either posting in it or starting a NEW one about that thread. This just creates more un-needed crap and wastes bandwidth. Ignoring it and letting it slide into the depths of the old threads is a far better option (or in the case of offensive/questionable treads, PM a mod).

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I find it funny, you know? Every generation of head-fier seems to feel this way. I.e. when I first came here, I thought it was great. Now, to me, thinks aren't as. The head-fiers that arrived before me say that the content of my generation wasn't as good as their's was. Same with those that came before them. In a year or so, the active members of now will say that things have gone downhill since their time. Just keeps going. Are things really getting worse? Perhaps, perhaps not. I say, if you want better content, bring some. Start some quality threads (by your definition) or something. It's your job and those who feel the same way to turn up the heat and make things more enjoyable by your standards. It's our hands that turn the world after all. =)

. . . Although, the one thing you can't replace is the members that you know and admire. Even the ones you hate. You can't bring back the fights, the laughs, the words of wisdom, the merton-isms. Luckily nostaliga still exists in the form of old threads. All we say + do stays for eternity. I miss some of the regulars from around a year back. My generation. Sometimes they just disappear, and you can't change that. Nothing to do but move forward, I guess.

I am a first-generation Head-Fi'er, one of the elders from a somewhat older tribe called HeadWizers. My people brought to these once young shores good content, and we taught our younger generations how to also cultivate good content. The rapid growth of the younger generations has, however, outstripped the elders' capacity to spread the wisdom of good content cultivation as efficiently as once we did, and, thus, the passing of our ancient traditions of creating good content has not spread as effectively as once it did. But, lo, most belonging to the younger generations who stay eventually learn to stray from the useless ramblings of the teachings of Mertonism, IRCism and Ban'ism, and eventually cultivate good content, and thus age into productive Head-Fi elders. And so the cycle goes.

Occasionally, our tribe does lose productive citizens, to other outside interests, work, and/or the discovery of chicks (as many in our tribe are of the young dude gender). Eventually, those that stray often find their way back to the class A warmth of our amplifiers, and those who do not banish themselves to lives of low fidelity.

This is Head-Fi. Deal with it.

b.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Start some quality threads (by your definition) or something. It's your job and those who feel the same way to turn up the heat and make things more enjoyable by your standards. It's our hands that turn the world after all. =)

Everyone's definition of a quality thread varies, though. Some people do try to start what they think is a worthy thread, only to have it locked or blasted by others (take the recent Blobfish thread for example). Perhaps the original poster thought that the Blobfish was a topic worthy of discussion, but that thread ended up having next to no actual content in it. Then you have the old prudes that think just about any thread in the Lounge that doesn't have to do with fine wine or exotic cigars is a waste of space. They think just about EVERYTHING posted in the Lounge is a waste, and I must say I disagree. Some of the topics are interesting and a lot of the ones that aren't informative are just fun and help to pass the time at work. And therein lies the problem--threads that I think are suitable for the lounge, others do not. I do not think the Lounge should be dedicated to any particular kind of thread. It is a place we can go when we are tired of talking about amps and debating over headphones. There are bound to be threads in the Lounge that EACH of us thinks aren't very interesting, but who are we to tell others what to post?

Quote:

All we say + do stays for eternity.

Well, not everything...I often wonder what has been lost due to mod edits and deletions.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 36
I've been a member for quite a while now. Although I rarely post anymore, mostly I just lurk and read and try to answer the occasional question. I do notice a general change with so many more members now but I still think the overall atmosphere is mature and helpful. this is a great source of information too although with so many new members, the posts have been inevitably skewed towards questions on more entry level products. And of course, similar questions will pop up over and over again. As for me, the ER4S have kept me happy for quite a while so I've stopped trying to upgrade all the time. I still like to read the posts here though.

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
I am a first-generation Head-Fi'er, one of the elders from a somewhat older tribe called HeadWizers. My people brought to these once young shores good content, and we taught our younger generations how to also cultivate good content. The rapid growth of the younger generations has, however, outstripped the elders' capacity to spread the wisdom of good content cultivation as efficiently as once we did, and, thus, the passing of our ancient traditions of creating good content has not spread as effectively as once it did. But, lo, most belonging to the younger generations who stay eventually learn to stray from the useless ramblings of the teachings of Mertonism, IRCism and Ban'ism, and eventually cultivate good content, and thus age into productive Head-Fi elders. And so the cycle goes.

Occasionally, our tribe does lose productive citizens, to other outside interests, work, and/or the discovery of chicks (as many in our tribe are of the young dude gender). Eventually, those that stray often find their way back to the class A warmth of our amplifiers, and those who do not banish themselves to lives of low fidelity.

This is Head-Fi. Deal with it.

b.gif

Jude, what I said wasn't meant to be negative in any way. I'm just saying things become different, and all people can do is keep going. It's more people's perception of things that changes than the core of the site I think. I like head-fi, no matter what happens. Same with many others. =)

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Jude, what I said wasn't meant to be negative in any way. I'm just saying things become different, and all people can do is keep going. It's more people's perception of things that change than the core of the site I think. I like head-fi, no matter what happens. Same with many others. =)

It was a joke post. I guess I should've put a smiley face somewhere in there. My post was really just intended to tease you about the use of the word "generation."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back