Is it just me?
Feb 2, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #31 of 36
I think the original question was a good one, and gave me pause to think about my own experineces with head-fi over the past year or so, and how it continues to evolve.

There are three criteria I use to judge quality: standards for products or services; "goodness of fit" or how well a product or service addresses needs; and merit and worth or value.

Does head-fi meet industry standards for a this kind of interactive and informational site? I think so. Compared to many other discussion sites, head-fi is up and working almost continuously; it's well organized and easy to navigate; and it's very well-moderated.

Does it address my needs? Yes. I came to head-fi for information, to learn, to make informed decisions about things headphones, portable listening, and so on. What I did not come here to do was to loose my wallet, shirt and house, which I did, but had one hell of a time doing it! There must be a 12-step programme for this place!

Does it have merit and worth or value? Yes. Like all informational sites, there is both good and not-so-good information. The more seasoned members continue to provide really good information that is useful and builds my own learning. You just have to be a critical reader and sort out the dross and more opinion-ladened posts. Yes the variation in quality has increased, but the good quality information is still here in buckets.

It is valuable because we learn more, become better consumers, and ultimately are capable of contributing. We end up with better gear and much superior sound, even if we're naked, hungry, and without a roof over our heads!

Has the quality gone down? No. There's just more variation in the quality.

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
a sort of vent, a "pressure release valve"

People should do that on their own time, or better yet...join null's chat room online, those looney guys will crack you up, lol.
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Oh great Jude thinks he's one of the elders from the old 70's Shazam show
wink.gif

He IS elder, I'll give him that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back