Is it just me?
Feb 1, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #16 of 36
This is not the first forum I've been at and it won't be the last. But I've left other forums before... well not really left but just stop posting.
rolleyes.gif

Generally I find the trend to be that when too many users join a lot of topics begin being repeated and it becomes hard to actually get to know anyone and it starts to feel really distant between everyone. Then some of the older users will become bored because they've been through many of the topics already. Then at some point people will get bored and start random posts or spamming for whatever reason... this might be one definition of the "quality" in forums, though I guess everyone has different definitions.

Anyway, I do like this forum and hopefully will stay a little longer.
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
It was a joke post. I guess I should've put a smiley face somewhere in there. My post was really just intended to tease you about the use of the word "generation."

Okeydokey. I was a little confused by what you were trying to say. I always think your angry at me for some reason (which there usually is).
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Everyone's definition of a quality thread varies, though. Some people do try to start what they think is a worthy thread, only to have it locked or blasted by others (take the recent Blobfish thread for example). Perhaps the original poster thought that the Blobfish was a topic worthy of discussion, but that thread ended up having next to no actual content in it. Then you have the old prudes that think just about any thread in the Lounge that doesn't have to do with fine wine or exotic cigars is a waste of space. They think just about EVERYTHING posted in the Lounge is a waste, and I must say I disagree. Some of the topics are interesting and a lot of the ones that aren't informative are just fun and help to pass the time at work. And therein lies the problem--threads that I think are suitable for the lounge, others do not. I do not think the Lounge should be dedicated to any particular kind of thread. It is a place we can go when we are tired of talking about amps and debating over headphones. There are bound to be threads in the Lounge that EACH of us thinks aren't very interesting, but who are we to tell others what to post?

You're right. But I'm pretty sure people can come up with some compromises. There have been quite a few interesting threads that weren't against the rules. Of course not everyone will be attracted to a part. thread, and some may even shun it. Who gives a crud what they think. Let's just have some (reasonable) fun!

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

I am a first-generation Head-Fi'er, one of the elders from a somewhat older tribe called HeadWizers. My people brought to these once young shores good content, and we taught our younger generations how to also cultivate good content. The rapid growth of the younger generations has, however, outstripped the elders' capacity to spread the wisdom of good content cultivation as efficiently as once we did, and, thus, the passing of our ancient traditions of creating good content has not spread as effectively as once it did. But, lo, most belonging to the younger generations who stay eventually learn to stray from the useless ramblings of the teachings of Mertonism, IRCism and Ban'ism, and eventually cultivate good content, and thus age into productive Head-Fi elders. And so the cycle goes.

Occasionally, our tribe does lose productive citizens, to other outside interests, work, and/or the discovery of chicks (as many in our tribe are of the young dude gender). Eventually, those that stray often find their way back to the class A warmth of our amplifiers, and those who do not banish themselves to lives of low fidelity.

This is Head-Fi. Deal with it.

b.gif

Well I thought it was funny
biggrin.gif

Setmenu

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 36
LOL, you guys are nuts
600smile.gif
I think zChan has hit it on the head with regards to the "toys" section of the forum. Unless I am in the market for something or I need a question answered, I really do not go there very often. When I was new and needed new phones, I constantly searched the headphones section and others. Now I mainly go to the lounge of music sections, as there is always something new to read about (ie. the blobfish thread... LOL).

Personally, I think the "downhill" trend is in the minds of those who have been here a while and are not getting as much from this site as they used to. Just the way it goes...

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #23 of 36
many of you have made a very good point and i apologize if my original post offended anyone.

when i first joined Head-Fi, i felt like a little kid who just found out the sweetness of candy. reading posts on this forum was so much fun and i learned so many things that i never knew before. i guess after a while you just know "things", so the threads that once interested you becomes boring or tedious. so like many of you have said, a community this big will bound to have a effect on Head-Fi.

now i know what the mods must feel when they're going through the same threads each day and having to deal with crap threads like this....

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #24 of 36
everytime i think i know things, i go to a meet and find out i know nothing. that's what keeps me so excited about this hobby- knowing i know nothing.

is that zen? humility? lack of ability to retain information? well as long as i feel that way the posts will keep comin and i'll keep readin'!

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #25 of 36
head-fi is a choice,like every one has said. but quality has been dropping due to the flocks of neophytes [myself included] that have recently gotten into the audio market through mp3 players. i guess we can just deal with it, right? it is the internet after all. besides, head-fi is still a really clean fourm in comparison to some others

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

I am a first-generation Head-Fi'er, one of the elders from a somewhat older tribe called HeadWizers. My people brought to these once young shores good content, and we taught our younger generations how to also cultivate good content.

LOL Jude, that post is so perfect. Now this is quality
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #27 of 36
Jude,

I'm not trying to cause a problem or anything, but it seems to me that with the disappearance of TIO, instead of just keeping it to themselves, people are starting to go "outside" while still inside. It's really annoying when I'm reading a post about a crazy iPod case and someone starts howling their head off about the use of a word. >.< Arguments seem to be sparked a lot easier now that TIO is gone.

I used to think of TIO as a sort of vent, a "pressure release valve" that gave the members of this forum a place to rant and rave and complain and aruge without mucking up the rest of the forum. I know the issues that caused you to make the changes to TIO were very valid (personally I did not like notification e-mails from TIO to always show up, either). I'm only suggesting the possibility that the equipment and audio discussion forums are being affected negatively by the changes.

Thankfully, this sort of thing hasn't spilled over into the DIY forum yet, but it might pretty soon. -.-'

It's not that bad yet. The majority of the content here remains good, although some forums get more inane posts than others. When Head-Fi starts resembling Gaia Online, then we can be afraid.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I'm not trying to cause a problem or anything, but it seems to me that with the disappearance of TIO, instead of just keeping it to themselves, people are starting to go "outside" while still inside. It's really annoying when I'm reading a post about a crazy iPod case and someone starts howling their head off about the use of a word. >.< Arguments seem to be sparked a lot easier now that TIO is gone.

I used to think of TIO as a sort of vent, a "pressure release valve" that gave the members of this forum a place to rant and rave and complain and aruge without mucking up the rest of the forum. I know the issues that caused you to make the changes to TIO were very valid (personally I did not like notification e-mails from TIO to always show up, either). I'm only suggesting the possibility that the equipment and audio discussion forums are being affected negatively by the changes.

Thankfully, this sort of thing hasn't spilled over into the DIY forum yet, but it might pretty soon. -.-'

It's not that bad yet. The majority of the content here remains good, although some forums get more inane posts than others. When Head-Fi starts resembling Gaia Online, then we can be afraid.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The wierd stuff in the portable audio forums stems more from fanboyism and freakish insanity. Most of the guys that hang out in the PA forum didn't even participate in TIO. (I still don't understand why people are so incredibly defensive of a portable product/brand, or offensive for that matter. The comments I've read border on idiocy. It's a friggin' audio player, not your girlfriend. People really need to go outside and get some fresh air or something. Ride a bike damnit.)

I do agree that there have been some sparks igniting in other forums, mainly in the member's lounge. Not that big of a deal though, since things have started to calm down. I personally liked TIO, but I understand why it has to be "hidden". =)

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
The wierd stuff in the portable audio forums stems more from fanboyism and freakish insanity. Most of the guys that hang out in the PA forum didn't even participate in TIO.

Good point, but the post I referred to, the argument was not fanboy in nature. It was religious in nature, which is TIO territory.

Also, note I don't post in the Portable Audio forum nearly as much as I hit the other ones. =P

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Good point, but the post I referred to, the argument was not fanboy in nature. It was religious in nature, which is TIO territory.

Also, note I don't post in the Portable Audio forum nearly as much as I hit the other ones. =P

My bad. I've experienced something similar when a certain thread (not mine BTW) went awry.

Viva la head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back