is it just me, or is no one here quite satisfied with what they have? upgraditis?
May 1, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #31 of 47
Satiety, phase I begins tomorrow morning when FedEx drops off the new CDP. Phase II begins when the Weebl arrives. Satiety then begins once phase II is completed. I estimate this to occur in June or July of this year. After that I will likely be so stupid happy I won't care about anything else in the market short of the sidestep into a pair of Stax Omega IIIs once they're released and announced.

May 1, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #32 of 47
In my case wanting to always upgrade has NOTHING to do with being dissatisfied with what I already have. Pretty much the opposite.
I love My Singlepower SDS amp so much....I want a dual mono balanced version. I had been so happy with the HD600's that I wanted the 650's. My Audio Aero Capitole MKII had been my pride and joy since day one. Thats why I sold it, so I can get the new Audio Aero Prestige when it comes out. Getting more and better of something I already think is great is what upgrading is all about to me.
600smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #34 of 47
Testing any flavour, keeping the ones you like and upgrading them is so much fun, I can't believe that this is perceived as insane.
I'm enjoying the music more and more every month with any upgrade or added flavour, and I thought most of us do.
lambda.gif
600smile.gif
etysmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I definitely need an extended smilie list
tongue.gif

May 1, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by metal_monger
First off, if you are here its because you love music. loving music means you spend money on your music, and music loving is expensive but lets face it, if youd idnt spend your money here you would spend it on somethign else. There are lots of things that more "evil" or wasteful then headphones and music. Enjoy what you have and be greatfiful for what you have =)

I appreciate the spirit of your post. But just to stir things up a bit...

I wouldn't describe this site as a "music-loving" forum, first and foremost. Seems pretty clear to me it's a "gear-loving" site above all else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
tongue.gif

I've always thought that there are two kinds of audio enthusiasts:

1) those whose primary concern is having the best sound possible, for whatever music they like;

and

2) those who want a good-quality, listenable rig, but whose primary passion is acquiring lots of music to play on it.

I'm aware that these aren't mutually exclusive. There are plenty of audiophiles with very large record/CD collections and very expensive rigs to play them on. But for those of us for whom money is a limiting factor...

To see whether you're in the first or second category, ask yourself: If you recently got $500 as a gift, would your first impulse be to buy new gear, or new music? My guess is that most people at this site would be looking to buy new gear.

I have to consider myself first and foremost a music lover. While I've gradually come to appreciate the benefits of having good gear, I could never let this overwhelm my desire to collect good music. By head-fi standards, my rig is decidely "low-fi," but I've got a decent CD collection of over 1,000 titles that is my pride and joy. From time to time I've thought that I could have much better gear if I just sold off part of my collection--but I can't bring myself to do it. It's all about the music.
orphsmile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by prisoner #6
I appreciate the spirit of your post. But just to stir things up a bit...

I wouldn't describe this site as a "music-loving" forum, first and foremost. Seems pretty clear to me it's a "gear-loving" site above all else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
tongue.gif

I've always thought that there are two kinds of audio enthusiasts:

1) those whose primary concern is having the best sound possible, for whatever music they like;

and

2) those who want a good-quality, listenable rig, but whose primary passion is acquiring lots of music to play on it.

I'm aware that these aren't mutually exclusive. There are plenty of audiophiles with very large record/CD collections and very expensive rigs to play them on. But for those of us for whom money is a limiting factor...

To see whether you're in the first or second category, ask yourself: If you recently got $500 as a gift, would your first impulse be to buy new gear, or new music? My guess is that most people at this site would be looking to buy new gear.

I have to consider myself first and foremost a music lover. While I've gradually come to appreciate the benefits of having good gear, I could never let this overwhelm my desire to collect good music. By head-fi standards, my rig is decidely "low-fi," but I've got a decent CD collection of over 1,000 titles that is my pride and joy. From time to time I've thought that I could have much better gear if I just sold off part of my collection--but I can't bring myself to do it. It's all about the music.
orphsmile.gif

All of the audiophiles I know have huge music collections to go with the gear that produces the best possible sound. They are first and formost music lovers. Why anyone would think other wise always amazes me. So IMO there are two types of music lovers.
1. Audiophiles
2. People who can't (finance) or won't invest the time and money in gear, because for one reason or another it doesn't matter to them.
Don't ever assume one group because of gear, or lack of it, loves music more than the other. Trust me on this one... to someone with a $20K headphone system, it's all about the music.
Also, I agree this site is biased towards gear. It's a headphones and related items site, not a music site. I would guess that most of the people here are music lovers though.
600smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #37 of 47
My sub-$200 set-up (Denon DCP-150 > Sony Eggo mdr-66sl) is satisfactory. Right now, ignoring my computer which isn't wired for music anyway, the most expensive piece of audio equipment I own is my Tivoli Model 2. I've never heard anything more expensive than I own (unless you count wandering into a Bose store). I've never heard anyone else's rig. I suppose I'm fine, but I have a bit of an urge to upgrade. The problem is, I have no idea what I'd change about the system. If I got a better headphone, I'd have to get a headphone amp. And once I got the amp, I'd have to get a better source. Then I'd get cables. Then I'd want to try building my own cables and buy a soldering iron. Then I'd change my headphones again.

On the other hand, I could upgrade my source first, then go for an amp, then go for a headphone, then cables, then determine that I really should get a new soundcard or a DAC for my computer.

So I'm forcing myself to be happy. I'm more interested in upgrading my music collection though. I really like my minimalist set-up. The nice part is that the Denons have a somewhat mythical status (PCDP wise) so there aren't that many people who have a similar rig to me who are upgrading. So I can't follow in anyone's footsteps upgrade-wise. The Eggos were the first phones I bought when I came here and the Denon was the first PCDP. And I still like them. Except I sort of wish I had a headphone amp to see what I'm missing...

May 1, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 47
I just don't get these kinds of threads.
confused.gif

If you are happy with your gear, then why would it matter to you what kind of gear you have, or what other people think about it? You're happy with it, so end of story.

If you are not happy with your gear, or even if you are happy with it but still want to try out new gear, then why would this be a problem to anyone else? Would you then become a gear lover instead of a music lover? Oh no!!!
eek.gif
The shame! Some people here like headphones...
blink.gif

Does it have to be instead? Is it Ok to enjoy/love music and enjoy/love audiophile gear? Or is that polytheism?

May 1, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Does it have to be instead? Is it Ok to enjoy/love music and enjoy/love audiophile gear? Or is that polytheism?

I think you mean polygamy Wayne.
tongue.gif
LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist. That is unless you're referring to worshipping each of the peices of equipment that someone owns, thus worshipping more than one god. If so, you are correct.

May 1, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 47
I'm actually quite happy with my system. I think I've finally found a system combination that has awesome synergy with the AT W1000. I'm not about to alter some link in that chain very soon.

Am I done? For a while.

When I have a real job and a steady income, I fully intend to get a Blue Hawaii and the Omega II. At that time there might be something better than a Blue Hawaii and maybe an Omega III, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm done until I can afford that stuff.

May 1, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 47
I'm really happy with my system. But it's still fun to read up on what's new and to use what I know to help folks make their decisions when they ask for help. I'm also always looking for new music and low cost items that can help make what I do more convenient or sound better - and data - MUST ... HAVE ... MORE ... DATA.

May 1, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #42 of 47
I loved my iPod with my 4P's. I loved my iPod with my e5c's. Now I am sure I'll love my iPod with my 2X-S. To me, it's more about comfort than anything else. The 4P's got so I couldn't wear them for extended periods. The e5c's were better in that regard, but not nearly as isolating. From what I read, I am hoping the 2X-S's fit the bill. (and I'm sure they will). After this I will probably stop.

Anyway, it's a hobby. A expensive hobby at that, but enjoyed each and every time I slip in my canalphones, block out the outside world, and listen to Ella sing to me.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I think you mean polygamy Wayne.
tongue.gif
LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist. That is unless you're referring to worshipping each of the peices of equipment that someone owns, thus worshipping more than one god. If so, you are correct.

Doug, I actually was referring to worshipping more than one God - the God or Music and the God of Gear. I don't know what polygomy means... I'll have to ask my wives.

May 1, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

I don't know what polygomy means... I'll have to ask my wives.

Lol. Good one!

I don't know why I'm still here if I don't feel like upgrading. It's just a fun place. And I need info on this stuff if I ever do upgrade.

May 1, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Doug, I actually was referring to worshipping more than one God - the God or Music and the God of Gear. I don't know what polygomy means... I'll have to ask my wives.

Great retort Wayne. Funny too. Just don't tell Catherine about the "other loves" in your life.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back