is it just me, or is no one here quite satisfied with what they have? upgraditis?
May 1, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 47
As far as the upgrade roller coster goes, I've settled the amp issue by sticking with my Marantz 2220b for over a year. I've finally decided to stick with my Audio-Technica A900's for quite a while. However, I did mod a pair of A900's recently which gave me good results. I'm satisfied with my system, however I'm more inclined these days to stay within my means and tweak my components as opposed to replacing everything with the next great thing.

May 1, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 47
I dont think I'llbe happy until I can test a Shure E3, E5, and an ER6 and 4.

Just so I can see for myself which I prefer...

I honestly care less about price, if they are really that good.

But for the moment, I went from stock headgear, to the Sony 71's, to a Shure E2. Each has been an obvious upgrade.

May 1, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #18 of 47
"welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet."

well, if people could be easy satiable, that quote would never be used. So, we will continue to spend more and more money on headphones that we will think are better, until we listen to them. I dont think we will be satiable till we have omega II's or some super nice tube amp. Sigh, i wish i never came to this site. I would of had been happy with with my audio 90's that i paid 24 dollars for, but i have been here approx. a month, and i just spend 200 dollars on a pair of headphones. a900's to be exact. get them on like the 13th..if i dont like them..im going to be maddddd, but i just need a pair of headphones that will last me quite a while. If those a900's are fine i'm going to run far from this site. People are insatiable, look at women. :X

May 1, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #19 of 47
I think we should be grateful that we addicted to headphones. Most of us can afford to upgrade headphones. But imagine the expenses involved in upgrading our "better" half (girlfriends, wives)
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 47
I have no plan of really upgrading, just stepping sideways. For example, I might eventually add some Grados, a canalphone, and a better earbud; but none costing over $200. I can see maybe one more amp upgrade, then computer and cd upgrades, then possibly a cable for the hd580's. But after that, I will have pretty much all that I need
580smile.gif

That will leave me with:

Home, for rock: Grados*
Home, for everything else: Sennheiser hd580's
Home/travel, for closed: Sony mdr7509's
Portable, open: Earbuds (mx400)*
Portable, sealed: ER6/E2c*

* = Future upgrade/sidestep

May 1, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #22 of 47
Like I said before, my main criteria is getting 4 items from info gathering at this forum. I've accomplished 1/4 of the task by getting tha A900. All I need now is to get an amp (Gilmore Lite or V2) in conjunction w/ the IC (Headphine BlackGold), and conclude w/ a good universal source. This setup should last me a year or two until I get some real cans. Mmm... L3000.

I think this is better than throwing money away on bi-annual basis at computer hardware upgrades and overhauls.

May 1, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #23 of 47
Well, this is posted in the headphones forum... as far as headphones, I'm satisfied with what I have. There are lot of cans I'd like to hear (particularly some sort of extended audition to really get a good idea of the sound), but none I'd want to buy unless it was a huge jump better than HD580/600s... unfortunately, most in that category cost quite some major $$.

May 1, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Well, this is posted in the headphones forum... as far as headphones, I'm satisfied with what I have. There are lot of cans I'd like to hear (particularly some sort of extended audition to really get a good idea of the sound), but none I'd want to buy unless it was a huge jump better than HD580/600s... unfortunately, most in that category cost quite some major $$.

coughstaxomegaiicough
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #25 of 47
It's probably a bit obssessive though when one has a a different headphone for every song of every album.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
coughstaxomegaiicough
biggrin.gif

Hmmm... I did audition eric343's Senn HE-90 (+ weebl amp), luckily not for very long. Judging from that impression, I might have been forced to resort to bank robbery (or worse) if I'd really gotten the full taste...
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #27 of 47
I am 1/2 satisfied.
just need to fulfill the other 1/2 (rock, r&b, dance).
580smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #28 of 47
I think that's the point of a forum like this. Can you imagine if everyone here was satisfied with their audio gear? Threads would look this:

Poster #1: I'm really happy with my Brand X headphones, Brand Y amp, and Brand Z source. I don't have any reason to want to upgrade or replace it any day soon.

Poster #2: Me too. I like my setup a lot.

Poster #3: I'm quite happy with my setup, too.

Where's the fun in that? It's fun to be able to help others spend their money and have others help spend your money
very_evil_smiley.gif

My upgraditis has subsided quite a bit recently. I now can't really pinpoint a single thing to upgrade except my music collection. My headphones are great, my amp excellent, and my source quite nice. But I also thought the same thing 4 months or so ago, and nearly $800 or so dollars (I can't keep track) later I arrived at what I have now
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #29 of 47
I think for me, upgrading or trying out new hardware is half the fun of having an audio system. (with the other half obviously going to listening to music
tongue.gif
)

Im happy with my current set-up, but im continuously looking for better gear for my system. I look into this hobby of ours as a never-ending journey. We are all familiar to the phrase "It is in the thrill of the chase & not the kill." In my audio experience, I believe this is 100% accurate.

May 1, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #30 of 47
First off, if you are here its because you love music. loving music means you spend money on your music, and music loving is expensive but lets face it, if youd idnt spend your money here you would spend it on somethign else. There are lots of things that more "evil" or wasteful then headphones and music. Enjoy what you have and be greatfiful for what you have =)

I would love to upgrade but ety 4p and ipod are a good portable setup. I dont like ety's for home use or more speicifically extended use, but i dont want to buy home headphones like grado 225 or possibly r1 until i replace my computer soundcard which seems to make a hissing noise that is very faint but noticlble with headphones.

Anyway, I will upgrade to something nice for a homestup then try to contain myself from upgrading, until then im pretty happy with current portable rig.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back