Is it just me, or is Head-Fi reallly slow?
May 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
As the topic says, I've been finding Head-Fi to be really slow on the desktop.

Right now I'm using the latest version of Firefox (29.0), but a fellow local Head-Fier uses Google Chrome and has been experiencing a similar slow loading time for Head-Fi as well. Opening threads sometimes takes a while (sometimes 10+ seconds on a fairly fast Wi-Fi connection for a thread with minimal photos/videos to load), and posting posts has a fairly long delay period too (sometimes around 5+ seconds, like with this post in fact). I tend to go back and edit posts after they've been made and it's a bit annoying having to wait 5 seconds to get to the text editor, and another 5-10 seconds to post.

I've been noticing this behavior for a few months now, and I thought it was just me.

May 14, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 37
Correct thread title but this is an interesting and slightly unrelated problem I am having:

Is anyone else experiencing, or know why only the home page of head-fi.org, and my profile page take about 10 seconds to load? Everything else on the site loads instantly, so clicking "Forums" at the top and anything beyond those two mentioned pages load fine. But for some reason, even after a fresh computer restart (and for about 3 or 4 consecutive days now) head-fi.org takes 12 seconds to load. Even if I load head-fi.org, open a new window and do it again, same amount of time. At this point shouldn't my cache be loading this instantly? It is very confusing right?

May 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 37
I've found the Head-Fi home page to take forever to load for months now. The forums and everything else seems ok to me, but the main page loads quite slowly.

May 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 37
Guys, thanks for taking the time to let us know you're experiencing some slowness.  Would you be able to let me know what browsers and extensions you guys are using (if you haven't already)? The tech team needs information like that to best replicate the issue so they can see what may be causing it.

May 20, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 37
Just as a test, @miceblue
, could you try disabling your extensions, clearing your cache, and restart your browser?  I'm not seeing the times you are, but I'm curious if something from an extension could be a culprit.  I want to narrow things down as much as possible for the tech team, and extensions is one of the first things to try.

I can try that. I started Firefox in safe mode and it took about 10 seconds to load my profile page just now. It took another 30 seconds to post this edited message, and it didn't actually post the edited message and instead closed the "posting" pop-up dialogue box and took me right back to this editing box.

Let's see if this message gets posted this time around.

I just went on Google Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.137) since my profile wasn't loading in a timely manner in Firefox (with add-ons). I have zero extensions installed in Chrome and it took about a minute for my profile page to load, and another 30 seconds-ish to log in.

After waiting for about 30 seconds, I decided to take a screenshot of the page trying to load.

And as soon as it loaded:

And when I got to log in:

^ note the times in the upper-right corner of the screenshots

My internet speeds are normal and that shouldn't be the problem:

May 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 37
@miceblue - As you stated you do use Chrome, could you get some information from the Chrome Developer Tools Network panel?

You can read about how to access it here: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/index

What the tech team needs is for you to do the following:

1. Open network panel/tab of the Developer Tools
2. Load a page on Head-Fi that is slow for you.
3. Right-click in the Network window of the Developer Tools, and select the "Save as HAR with Content" option.
4. Send the HAR data to me at joe@head-fi.org, and I can pass it on.

This will give the tech team the necessary data to investigate this further, and see what's going on.

May 21, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 37
@miceblue
 - As you stated you do use Chrome, could you get some information from the Chrome Developer Tools Network panel?

You can read about how to access it here: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/index

What the tech team needs is for you to do the following:

1. Open network panel/tab of the Developer Tools

2. Load a page on Head-Fi that is slow for you.
3. Right-click in the Network window of the Developer Tools, and select the "Save as HAR with Content" option.
4. Send the HAR data to me at joe@head-fi.org, and I can pass it on.

This will give the tech team the necessary data to investigate this further, and see what's going on.

Interesting. I didn't know about this. Firefox has this feature too apparently.

Here's a screenshot of when I was just able to log-in right now; it took around 15 seconds to do so. I'll send you an e-mail with the HAR data shortly.

And here's a screenshot of the Firefox equivalent; it took around 20 seconds to load this time around:

May 26, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 37
I have had lag issues in his site. I found out one day by accident that I don't have nearly the lag running Firefox in Linux as I do running in Windows. I don't know why this would be, may have something to do with add-on's as I don't run any in Linux and I do run a few (2 or 3) in windows, but I just know when this site is really lagging badly I can switch to Linux and 90% of the lag goes away.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 37
Well, I am using Safari on a MacBook Retina, with no extensions and the lag to load the home page, as well as "Subscriptions" (i.e. list of current subscriptions) is the same as on Chrome.  For me, loading the home page or subscriptions can take as long as 30 seconds.  THIRTY.  Posting is quick, as is navigating within a particular forum.

It seems like a Head-fi.org back-end issue, related to the display of personalized ad content.  I can view head-fi on my Android phone and it loads instantly but, of course, there are no/few ads on the mobile version of the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back