Is it hard to build a beta 22
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 9
I think this solely depends on your personal skills. building your own PC for example is consireded quite easy, however if you go for a screwdriver and come back with a wrench building your own PC could get kinda hard.
http://www.amb.org/audio/beta22/
Check the  What skills and tools are needed section, if you feel confident that you meet all demands I'd say go for it if you like DIY stuff..
From what I read below, this apparantly requires ALOT of skill.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Not pertaining to the B22, but in general, I've found that there are some methods that make DIY projects go more smoothly:

Organize everything. before you start, check that all your parts are the right values, and put them in containers labeled with both their value, and their position in the schematic. only open one container at a time, and check again before you solder anything down. doublecheck the direction/polarity as well. There are pretty much only 3 things you can do wrong when you're assembling a board. Wrong part value, wrong polarity, poor solder connection/short. It's just the fact that it's these 3 things spread among dozens of parts that makes it hard, but if you make sure to do it right the 1st time, it should go swimmingly. That being said, if you've never done anything like this before, the B22 looks to me like it's fairly complicated (I wouldn't have the stones to try a B22 build yet. Maybe after my M^3)

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 9
I would say it's definitely not easy, but to classify it as 'hard' is meaningless as it depends on the person asking. I've made amps both simpler than a B22, and also others much more difficult. I'd say the B22 is right about in the middle of DIY amp complexity.

If you have to ask, it is a strong indicator that you probably should start with something simpler. If you are experienced in putting together kits and triple check absolutely everything and are extremely careful during the build phase, it will almost surely work the first time around. Other than that, you need some experience grounding amplifiers which can be learned online in an afternoon to the degree a basic configuration b22 requires.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 9
One thing that is hard compared to other builds is the wiring of all the boards. At first it was really confusing for me, and it took me some time to get it right. Together with some other small issues, like messing up the pin order of the JFET's, I probably destroyed a part or two that is extremely difficult to diagnose.
Actually putting the boards together is not that difficult, as long as you double check all your work and keep a cool head while doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back