I started brainstorming and ordering parts on the 5th of October, 2011. I think I'll call that the 'official' starting date of this eternal project.
As of today 10 months and 23 days have passed since I started this project, yet I honestly doubt I'll be able to finish it any time soon. I hope to get it working within a month, which might be possible if I'm lucky.
After that I still want to get a power button with a relay, because the switch on the transformer box is far from practical. And on top of that, it just looks cooler to have a LED backlit button.
I also would love to get the LCD-uno, and get it remote controlled. And finally, I want to build an all-in-one package with an ODAC (or other DAC) sitting in the same case.
Chances are I also want to put the power supply entirely in a different case, instead of just the transformer.
The history of this project
6th of October: I wrote this blog post. (most of the images won't show up, for some odd reason)I decided to order all the components from Glass Jar Audio, for simplicity. I wanted to order the case from THL audio because they were pretty and relatively affordable.
19th of October: I paid for the components from Glass Jar Audio
31st of October: the parts were dispatched to me.
1st of November: I made a payment to THL audio. It took this long because their customer service through email is ridiculously slow. It usually took a week for them to respond.
4th of November: the case was dispatched to me.
26th of November: I received the components from Glass Jar Audio. The case arrived some two weeks before this, but I don't have an exact date.
29th of November: I noticed that I received a kit with mixed up resistors and a missing volume pot. I contacted Glass Jar Audio and he sent me the missing parts on the...
7th of December: Glass Jar Audio sent me the missing parts. At this point I had most of the soldering done.
-- 2012 came crawling in --
4th of January: I noticed I put in the JFET's the wrong way on one of the channels after AMB gave me some help diagnosing it. I contacted Glass Jar Audio for replacement parts the same day.
8th of January: The JFET's were dispatched.
31st of January: I replaced the JFET's, and I connected all the boards together in the case in which I drilled the holes a couple weeks before. However, it didn't work and it took quite a bit of conversation between me and AMB to come closer to fixing it. Our coversation can be found here.
26th of February: I got the two boards to be in working order. Sort off. There was an enormous amount of background noise, and the amplifier was far from usable. I decided to put the transformer in a separate case to avoid induction from AC wires and the transformers magnetic field.
28th of February: I ordered a new cage for the transformer, as well as some connectors.
29th of February: I wrote a blog post with pictures detailing my progress. The pictures aren't visible anymore for some odd reason.
3rd of March: I decided to put speaker taps on the amp. I ordered the parts required for this from Glass Jar Audio.
17th of March: Built the transformer box. Amp refused to turn on, and transformer box became hot.
-- Exams and deadlines with school came in, so the project was on hold for about two months --
30th of May: Restarted diagnosis. I found that the initial problem was caused by a short in the DIY'ed connector.
3rd of June: Ordered new transistors in the hope the issue was with those. It later turned out it wasn't.
20th of June: Ordered new JFET's for one channel, and a new MOSFET for the other channel. The latter caused some magic smoke and died, along with two scorched resistors.
-- I went on a long vacation to the US and Canada --
11th of August: The JFET's and new resistor hadn't arrived yet after I got back from a long vacation. I reordered the resistors from a local shop, and I contacted Glass Jar Audio about the JFET's not arriving.
18th of August: The JFET's were sent to me anew, free of charge.
24th of August: The JFET's and new resistors were in and I replaced the necessary parts. Still did not work. I decided to give up hope and order two new PCB's and order all the transistors, diodes and small resistors and capacitors anew. Leaving only a couple parts unrefreshed. However due to money shortage, and book purchases for school coming on I decided to wait with ordering until after the 5th of September.
28th of August: Made this thread. Here are some pictures of the current status:
(I might retake the pictures with better lighting and camera tomorrow)
-- Project went on hiatus because of money and school --
7th of October: Ordered all the parts to build two new Beta22 boards from scratch except for the heatsinks. Total cost was $230.
Passed the 1-year mark as well.
Edited by Tilpo - 10/7/12 at 5:58am