Is it a DAC?
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Stefanmz7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! So I was just browsing products from fiio and I have a question. So is the fiio A1 a DAC or is it just an amp? When I plug it into my phone will the audio be decoded by my phone's DAC or the A1?

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 7
K1 is not designed with smartphone in mind and can draw too much power when used.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Doesn't it have an external power supply? If not what affordable DAC preferably under 100 bucks would you recommend for a smartphone? And also are there physical stores that sell DACs? I mean can I go somewhere and try a DAC before I buy it? Since I don't want to spend money buying online to find out the improvement is not worth it.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Sure there are retail stores that sell DAC, but I am not from Bulgaria to know any of such place that near your location.

...and no, K1 doesn't have an internal battery nor has any external power supply. It is meant to be powered by USB but it draws too much power from smartphone and some smartphone don't have enough power to do the job.

There are however other small DAC that is meant to be used with smartphone, but I don't have any experience with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back