Is IE8 really a $400?
Jul 24, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #31 of 79
It obviously changes the level of treble and bass outputs...X has real noticeable response based on what you set so it's kinda pain to set the level for each songs. I know it's not going to be perfect but want to find a settings which will sound generally good for all.

If you are a type of person who wants to "set it and forget it" IE8 and X1061 combo would be a nigtemare..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #32 of 79
As for me I had the similar experience of bloatedness, especially with the bass heavy songs. Just realized that the solution was in the type of eartips being used. period!
I was insistent on using comply form tips I bought b/c they came with wax guard but sonic wise those were horrible. No EQ setting will help over come it.

I am now on grey double tips and finall realize the strength of IE8..very GLAD.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #33 of 79
however MadDog, what you have done with those EQ settings is quite seriously boost the treble on the IE8... and added a bit of sub bass, both areas that I now feel the IE8 is weak in...

I guess that leads to the question... to EQ or not EQ with a $400 IEM... so, to kind of answer the OP question, no... the IE8 is not worth its RRP, not when there are alternatives at a third of the price that can produce similar results, without the need for EQ...

I feel like such a traitor to the IE8, after all the love I have given them, but... time, and progress waits for no man, nor his IEMs...

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #34 of 79
Im also contemplating on the IE8's, but also considering the SE530's.

I really hate the fact a majority of IE8 owners require burn in time.. I dont think i could be bothered allowing them to settle for such a long period. So is the soundstage really that much better than the SE530? The IE8 looks better price-wise being $120 cheaper here in Australia...

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends

If tacky "bass setting notches" are for you then yes
If overblown booming bass - being inserted into songs even which should not even have it - on the lowest bass setting, then yes
If you prefer more of a balanced sound and are seeking bass that is deep, textured yet controlled but importantly without being overdone and detracting from the rest of the sound, then no

confused.gif
I know German engineering has a great reputuation, but that would be miraculous.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #36 of 79
@MetroBBoy
YMMV, many also loved them straight out of the box, and most said that the first 24 hrs give the most improvement.
You can definitely use the money saved to order custom tips, and that combo beats SE530 any day(except isolation).

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #37 of 79
I owned SE530 just before I purchased IE8. I had to settle with new IEM b/c my SE530 was stolen and for some reason I didn't want to go back to SE530. Sure, SE530's great IEM with no burn in time required. Now that I have experienced IE8, I can safely say that SE530's indeed all-around IEM which is generally good for any genre. Nevertheless, there was no zest and sparkle..maybe it was my Zune (whch was also stolen) which to be blame.

I really want to retry SE530 on my new Sony X1061. There is a pretty good chance that my perception toward SE530 may change b/c X1061 is such a superb player.

Although I also like IE8.0 I am still not comfortable with this IEM. It tends change its face every minute I play. From going "wow"..to.."how do I change my EQ to make it sound more decent" especially with comply form tips. This is not an easy IEM to tame for sure. But then again it has shown a great improvement in bass response wth use of grey double mold silicon eartips.
I don't think this phone's made to use the comply form tips.

One thing I am really impress with IE8 is that it seems to have much superior sonic separation comparing to SE530 and just for that I may choose this phone over SE530.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 79
Thanks decay, i have read about 2 hours worth on the IE8 appreciation thread but still not 100% sure. There are a few advantages i like over the SE530. The design is less conspicuous and not shiny. Apparently the cable is made of kevlar too? I think everything else is based on everyones subjective opinions, but i do like the fact most people love their 'soundstage' and overall dynamics.

Im probably comparing apples to oranges, but my little bro has the CX300-II's and i really hate them! artifical bloaty bass and no clarity at all. Im a basshead too so i'd assume the IE8 is the IEM for me. Theres probably only one minor thing i dont like, and that is the IE8 uses a right angle 3.5mm jack.. I'd prefer a straight jack as its much more ergonomic and just looks better on my iPhone (main source)

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #39 of 79
Imo, at $400US, they're probably not worth it since imo, they provide the same SQ compared to the other top tiers . If purchased from Europe or Aus etc where they're around 300US, they i'd say they're worth it, especially for people who like bass and soundstage.

The only time i'd say they'd be worth it for $400 is if you can't get it anywhere else for cheaper and they present the signature that you want.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #41 of 79
Yeah i dont know why, but the top shelf IEM's in Aus are actually quite affordable now. You will find the Triple.Fi 10's for $449, SE530 for $499 and IE8 for $379. We cant get Westone thats all.

@MadDog. How do you compare the fit on the IE8 over the Shures? I used to own the SE310 and was very comfortable. Im just paranoid the fact if i buy the IE8's, i'll be disappointed with the fit. The nozzle tips look massive compared to the SE530's.. I know they're dynamic, im just a bit skeptical. Im a dancer so it cant pop out too easily.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #42 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems you like a more clean and transparent sound...
should give ck100s a try
wink.gif

These sell for a very hefty $699... more than the top tier IEM's.. Its a shame there are not enough reviews, and have seen some negative ones too.. I absolutely adore AT's designs though. Their use of metals are niiiice!

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroBBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah i dont know why, but the top shelf IEM's in Aus are actually quite affordable now. You will find the Triple.Fi 10's for $449, SE530 for $499 and IE8 for $379. We cant get Westone thats all.

@MadDog. How do you compare the fit on the IE8 over the Shures? I used to own the SE310 and was very comfortable. Im just paranoid the fact if i buy the IE8's, i'll be disappointed with the fit. The nozzle tips look massive compared to the SE530's.. I know they're dynamic, im just a bit skeptical. Im a dancer so it cant pop out too easily.

Believe it or not IE8 will fit much better than SE530 mainly b/c of its light cable. I used to run with the SE530 on and was constantly worrying about the ear pieces falling off. But not with IE8. It stays firmly and feel secure whether I wear it over the ear or normal way.

I felt more comfortable wearing IE8 than SE530. The cable of SE530 was just too thick and heavy adding strain.

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #45 of 79
just as fyi - if se530's an excellent iem with no flavor, ie8 has a great potential but just too much bass. both have downside..that is if you are not a basshead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back