Is Cryo Worth The Cost?
Mar 30, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #226 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by koob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah, skeptics! Clearly the 3 feet between where your house wiring leaves off and where the components' internal wirings take over is the crucial 3 feet. Just as with interconnects, the 3 feet between components is the crucial 3 feet and the signal path inside the components is irrelevant.
smily_headphones1.gif

it is; i have heard the difference between two exact the same amps, one being modded with better internal cables and the other just basic, as you buy em. The difference was quite big and audible. What you can discuss is IF you LIKE the differences made by the cable in the modded amp. Taste kicks in here.

That's why alot of people switch tubes(tuberolling), switch cheap caps for much better ones, resisters and even internal cabling. This goes for amps and sources/dacs as well. Even some report differences in recabeling internals in speakers. Alot of people use wire to bridge the bi-wire strips of metal. Also better sound.

I am also planning some new mods to bring my gear to a new level. I am done with cabling at the moment. it sounds just fine.

Strange thing is that differences in amps by switching components is accepted and differences in cables isn't. Alot of people report that both have sonic impact. if two caps measure the same, then according to some people's logic, they must sound the same. In practice however, they don't.

I don't have a problem with both people, if you don't want to spend much on cables, just don't if you hear a difference and you wan't to go higher end, just do so. IN the end both camps are happy. The sceptics are happy because they think they saved alot of money and the sonics are the same, the believers are happy since they hear a difference and think they optimized the sound.

To me, it looks like a win-win situation.(that's why a brand offers high end and cheap cables). They still get your hard earned cash!

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #227 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by koob
If the objectivist position has measurements and empirical studies to back up their statements and the subjectivist position has a handful of opinions, it must logically follow that psychological factors are affecting the objectivist side most acutely. The logic is strong with you, tourmaline.

IF you THINK the difference in measurements the site gave us i quoted and IF the differences are beyond the hearing threshold...and if Ohno is an idiot... and IF you think teflon is not the best insulator... and IF you think copper and silver sound the same....we(the believers, well, i believe my ears/brain) could be as much affected by psychological factors acutely. Just another perspective.
cool.gif

Sarcasm is strong with you, but i can see the humor of it.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

All i do is not keeping people from experimenting, as some other people do by making absolute statements that practice doesn't back up ( hearing tests). As the site clearly shows, there is difference in measurements between cables. What we don't agree upon is if it can be heard or not.

Go try out cables yourself and make it your decision. Nobody IS forcing you to buy em! You can try them out and return them if you don't like em but then you have at least tried and know for yourself. Either way makes you more satisfied with what you have or got new. Same goes for cryo treatment. No difference, return the cable and save the money. The only harm done is you invested some time. You have to do that to gain experience, either way.

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #229 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tourmaline, you have you waaay too much time on your hands.

Now i found my cables, i have. But i need more time looking for good recordings, this is even harder then finding a really good cable!

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #230 of 231
Ok. After reading all of that I got a migrane and I couldn't see my screen 'cause it was covered in colorful dots. So I took a long nap and 3 ibuprofen.

So sound quality aside, which is more durable for traveling use: The vampire dock or the cryo dock? I know silver is out of the question, but what of these two for durability only?

Thanks guys

-T.R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back