Is Cryo Worth The Cost?
Mar 18, 2007 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 231

Buggs

New Head-Fier
There are some amazing sonic claims out there regarding subjecting copper to a liquid nitrogen, which BTW very significantly increases the price.

Got this from an ad:

"Deep-immersion cryogenic treatment tightens and aligns the molecular structure of conductive alloys and metals at the molecular level. The result of this metallurgical transformation is significantly lower line resistance in the signal path for significantly less harmonic distortion. The overwhelming benefits of our proprietary cryogenic treatment process for audio cable are dramatically increased harmonic resolution, greater detail and transparence in the soundstage, and more accurate dynamic response throughout the audible range."

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 231
For SilverPilot: "Talk about exotic wire, folks this is it. Made especially for Jena Tech for treatment in their Cryo lab. This stuff is the best kept secret in the interconnect world. I sat and bent 3 of these wires back a fourth for a hour, not only did they not break but there was zero stress or strain. Awesome stuff."

That's from http://www.aloaudio.com/

For Buggs: it's up to you in the end. I knew I could tell the difference between Jumbo Cryo and regular Cryo docks of ALO, so I decided to go all out. I went from Bling Bling to Cryo. Big and welcome difference. For instance, with the BB, Tool CDs, when they got heavy, sounded as if all of it was being forced through the skinny wire; massive bandwidth problem, no? Now with the Jumbo Cryo, everything is given its own space and room to breathe, and details are therefore easier to hear and pick out.

Both of you, try and look at the Cable buy/sale/trade forum every now and then if you are still interested in cryo docks. That's how I got my Jumbo Cryo for cheap!

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 231
Lowering line resistance can easily be achieved by using a bigger diameter for the conductor.

The rest of course, is a completely undefinite omnium gatherum of subjective, pseudo technical/acoustical fantasy terms with the purpose to build up an excessive expectation on the product and arouse the appeal of physicall replicability.
Hopefully for the advertiser, this should increase your willingness to spend a disproportional amount of money on an otherwise rather useless and/or unfancyful or untrustworthy product as well as priming your imagination and sensibility for the placebo-effect when "testing" it later.

Now that wasn't too difficult, was it?

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounded as if all of it was being forced through the skinny wire

It's still being pushed through the tiny pins on the male and female connectors.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some amazing sonic claims out there regarding subjecting copper to a liquid nitrogen, which BTW very significantly increases the price.

Got this from an ad:

"Deep-immersion cryogenic treatment tightens and aligns the molecular structure of conductive alloys and metals at the molecular level. The result of this metallurgical transformation is significantly lower line resistance in the signal path for significantly less harmonic distortion. The overwhelming benefits of our proprietary cryogenic treatment process for audio cable are dramatically increased harmonic resolution, greater detail and transparence in the soundstage, and more accurate dynamic response throughout the audible range."

well, you could always buy some cryo treated wire and non-cryo wire and make your own?

anyway just a suggestion.

i bought some cryo treated copper vampire wire (22awg) and some regular copper vampire wire (22awg) to make an ipod dock out of.

i finished the cryo one and it definately sounds different from the silver and silver in silk line out docks i previously made.

i haven't made a regular vampire line out dock yet, so i can't say if it really makes a difference.

eggosmile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i finished the cryo one and it definately sounds different from the silver and silver in silk line out docks i previously made.

Different as in you like it better, or...?

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 231
I am not sure what you are looking for Buggs. There has been no scientific proof that cryo makes cables sound better. You will hear a lot of people claim they sound better and you will hear a lot of people say there is no difference. You will really just have to try for yourself and see if it is worth it to you.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 231
On discussion threads about this topic, the issue of using the cooling process to change the normal structure would have to be done from liquid to solid state of the copper. There is some suspicion that dropping a molded cable into liquid won't change the alignment. I do not know.

Would it help the conductivity to magnatize the liquid copper while cooling? Perhaps align the polarity of molecules?

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 231
OK, here is some more information to help you with your decision. Most people on this forum would agree that cables add the least amount of change to the overall sound of your system. With that logic, changing the cable characteristics doesn't seem like the most value added tweak.

There are also amazing sonic claims for ERS paper, stones and rainbow foil. That does not mean they are the best solution. Your ears are really the only solution.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 231
Thanks for the posts.

As far as what I thought I might get.

Well, maybe some convincing or persuasive findings that might convince a fair-minded, critically thinking person to dig down and pay the extra for cryo treated items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back