Is College Obsolete?
Aug 15, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

The solution is not better degrees, but no degrees. Young people entering the job market should have a known, trusted measure of their qualifications they can carry into job interviews.

Or, better yet, what about not worrying about any job market connection to a schooling system that was not made for the learning of trades?

Quote:

No technical barriers stand in the way of evolving toward a system where certification tests would replace the BA.

HR department policies are usually all that stand in the way right now. Not technical in the least.

Quote:

Our obsession with the BA has created a two-tiered entry to adulthood, anointing some for admission to the club and labeling the rest as second-best.

People wanting to look like they are better than other people have done this. Change the bachelor's degree, and it will just become something else. The problem is far more fundamental.

Quote:

Everyone in every occupation starts as an apprentice. Those who are good enough become journeymen. The best become master craftsmen. This is as true of business executives and history professors as of chefs and welders.

So, why not set up a system to provide that, rather than a certification system, which just makes a test valuable?

Job skills do result from scholarly learning, as in the case of most engineering disciplines. That should not be the focus, though. Being able to look at a problem with a perspective broadened by having calculus hammered into your brain by grumpy old guy will be applicable just about anywhere.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #32 of 58
I could not DISAGREE more!! This is total bulls***. I can only see something like this putting America even more behind the rest of the world in terms of education. I get the feeling the number one thing behind this is laziness. In this technologically obsessed world, why do something stupid like leave the house to go to school when you can do it online?
rolleyes.gif
The result will be an even lower quality education system producing socially dumb students that are less intelligent.

Options like this are already in existence today. There are courses to study online, but I don't think this will ever take over. Practicality is the main reason. How am I going to do a chemistry lab at home? How will the University be 100% sure I didn't cheat on the test taken online? All this does is open up more problems. Take programs like Medical. Would you want a doctor performing open heart surgery on you if he did all his training and course work online? Or a nurse who studied online inserting that IV? I don't think so.

Plus, these "alternative colleges"(read: joke colleges) exist today. There are plenty of 18 month associate degree schools and online options. I see them advertised on daytime TV every day. If you're in charge of hiring, who would you pick? The person with the print-out diploma from the online college or the person who went for a four year(or more) degree? If you're applying for the job, which would be better: a print-out diploma or that bachelor's degree?

It's a competitive world. The more skills and education the better. In my case, I'm currently starting year two of the required General Education subjects. After that I hope to go on to either a Nursing or a Paramedic major. Sure, there are other options. I saw during Jerry Springer could have a degree in 18 months. Thing is I won't have as much education or make anywhere near a college grad. Plus I'm stuck in that. At least now I have more options. With the required grades I can go into Nursing. Or I can go into Physical Therapy or Sports Medicine or Phlebotomy. How much of that could you do online? In the traditional classroom setting, you interact with people. You make connections with others in what you are studying plus you get the "hands on" aspect.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the feeling the number one thing behind this is laziness.

It is well known that industrially advanced societies are lazier than those that are less advanced. Fortunately for the technophiles, laziness breeds creativity.

College isn't about learning "stuff." It is about learning how to learn, and finding out who you are. Do you have to go to college to do so? No, of course not. But a hiring manager, when given a pool of people who have been to college and those who have not, he will always see the uneducated pool as riskier to hire.

I've been to college. If I imagine myself in an alternate universe, where I did not go to college, would I be any less smart or talented, or able? Probably not. But I would surely lack an awful lot of intellectual skills and knowledge.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, yes, let's scrap college. Let's get rid of all research, academic and practical, altogether. Technological advancement, who needs it? Oh, you want trained medical personnel? Yup, that's fine, the next guy to operate on you will have his MD from an online university. You just bet that he has all the experience he needs. Yup, no worries there at all. Oh, what's that? Liberal education? You mean, like literature, history, and stuff? Who cares. We've got hip-hop and r'n'b! We've got lolcats and failblog and head-fi to read, we don't need Proust, or Kafka, or Dumas. screw** Dumas... what kind of a name is that anyway? Who reads that ****? Let's play some CS instead. And history? We've got History Channel for that. Never mind that it's a bunch of US propaganda, that's how it happened anyway. No lie. Besides, anything outside of the US doesn't matter anyway
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but I don't buy it. I'll take my live college education and get my Ph.D. Thanks.

P.S. revision of existing higher-level education is a very different story altogether. If the idea of the thread was "how can we improve higher-level education" rather than "let's get rid of most live higher-level education because what we have now isn't working for most people" then it wouldn't get that kind of a response.

I agree, the modern academic system is flawed. But, that's a different topic.

Nice post, catscratch.

(((Long post warning, don't say I didn't tell you...)))

I don't even want to get started on this issue... ah, but I suppose I should throw in my 2 cents, just for fun.

Background-wise, I couldn't possibly be more biased in terms of supporting higher education. I have 6 college degrees (4 at the graduate level) and 4 professional certifications (CPA, CFA, etc). I've taught at the college level (either on a full-time or part-time basis) for 25 years now, am a co-author of a college textbook, and have served in administrative capacities as well. So I'm biased.

But I've never been more biased in favor of formal, traditional, chalk-in-hand teaching, big buildings, and football teams than I am today, after having served as the managing director and dean of graduate studies (all from my laptop) for an online university for several years. While I no longer serve in this capacity, I have absolutely no misgivings about the particular online university that I worked for; I just don't think that, on average, it works nearly as well as does formal, face to face interaction with students.

The only saving grace in my experience with online education was the fact that it was graduate level only (MBA and Ph.D. level programs) and thus none of the degree candidates that I worked with were "robbed" of the experience of actually going to college (as undergraduates) and learning what they could from the overall educational environment.

In short, it's not all about book learning.

The online university that I ran from my laptop (well, Ok, there was a server and backup systems and so on, but still...) was quite efficiently structured and managed. There were no required courses. In fact, all students were required to design their own curriculum in consultation with myself as the dean and a student-selected program advisor (i.e., a faculty member who had a background that meshed well with the particular student's interests and needs). Nor were there any tests. Each course was a one on one experience with an individual student matched up (with my approval) to an individual faculty member.

The student and faculty member would determine what books or other resources to use for the course (we had literally hundreds of courses and dozens of areas of specialization for students to choose from, but they were also free to design their own courses), as well as what outcomes were to be expected from the course. Via email, students and faculty members would interact, and I was copied in on everything. For each course, the student would write a graduate level "original" paper that had a significant element of real world application of the ideas that they had learned about from their readings or other coursework, including field trips and so on (i.e., when papers were submitted for grading, no "regurgitation" of ideas as expressed by others was allowed, or put another way, student papers couldn't be an endless series of quotes or what we called "book reports").

All papers were sent to an editor in Australia and vetted in great detail for writing style, grammatical structure, syntax, and any number of other related matters. The faculty member would, in turn, read the papers as submitted with a critical eye for subject matter content, clarity of ideas, practical "real world" relevance and an overall "BS detector". Typically, a paper would go back and forth in at least 3 or 4 iterations before the faculty member was satisfied with the level work; students were also required to keep course journals that detailed the amount of time they had put into various aspects of the course, on a day to day basis. When a final paper was submitted for grading, I'd then give it a once-over for quality assurance (i.e., checking for internal consistency between and among faculty members to ensure that all students were appropriately challenged and properly guided for each course, that there wasn't grade inflation, etc).

As the dean of graduate studies, I got to review all sorts of papers on every imaginable business-related topic written by students from all around the globe. I've never learned more, read more, or been more impressed by such a wide variety of hard working, clear thinking, highly motivated students, in my 25 years in higher education. Moreover, the system was extremely efficient. Students would get responses to most of their emails within 24 hours or less!

I managed about 80 different email accounts. We had one set up for every possible "office" that you would normally find on a physical campus (an email account for admissions, for transcript requests, for accounts receivable, for various academic departments, for editing, for anything you could possibly think of). This streamlined the administrative process like you couldn't believe. Everything was compartmentalized; some email accounts were more active than others, but almost everything submitted by students (other than the papers themselves) was done via online forms. There were no postage costs.

On top of all of that, we had an outstanding group of faculty members, the majority of whom were entreprenurial in nature. Most of them had written books, but not necessarily college textbooks. Instead, they had published more empirically oriented works, or had written "popular" (i.e., best selling) books about various aspects of business. Most of them were between 60 to 75 years old and had the time as well as the inclination to work closely with our graduate students. They were both challenged and inspired by the level of maturity and intellectual curiosity that our students (on average) approached their studies with.

As an example, one of our faculty members who I used to chat with for hours on end had actually (believe it or not, someone had to) "invented" the term "time management" way back when. In other words, he coined the phrase and was the first person ever to write a book about it (or so he claimed). Over the years, his simple little book has sold millions of copies. After doing the lecture/training seminar circuit for many years in the 70s, he retired quite early in life (some 30 some years ago now) and prior to joining our faculty hadn't "worked" for at least two decades. When students took his course (one on one) using the book that had made him rich and famous, you had better believe they were getting a good experience! He was one of the most insistent people I've ever met, and was totally dogmatic in terms of the application of his methodologies. He made sure that his students not only understood his time management concepts, but that their lives were completely changed and rearranged as a result! And he was just one example.

So why didn't it work? Our online graduate students got (by far) more attention and guidance from their program advisors (in sort of a gestalt sense), their highly qualified faculty advisors (who worked with them on a one on one basis to help develop their research, writing, and practical business skills), their dean (myself) who was available on a 24/7 basis for any questions they had about the program itself (I'd check my email accounts several times per day), the editor, and any number of other administrative people who could help them with various matters.

So why? Because everything that they learned was self directed and there was no real interaction with other people (no fellow students, no real-life faculty members whose office they could drop in on, no weird/interesting characters to meet around "campus", not even a graduation ceremony). I'd actually print off their degree certificates when they completed their MBA or Ph.D. degrees, and then send them off in the mail. Don't get me wrong, they were nice looking degrees, just like what you would expect with a high quality paper stock and a specialized printing process. But no cap and gown, no pictures, no socialization whatsoever, other than via email for several years with myself, the editor, and their course advisors.

Did they learn? No doubt about it. I'd actually go out on a limb and say that they learned as much if not more than they would have in a comparable real world, live interaction, type of university. More to the point, they studied what was relevant to their lives and careers so there was no "fluff" in their programs unless they decided to put it there themselves. Not only that, but they were required to do original thinking and writing for each and every one of their courses, and everything that they turned in had to have a significant element of real world, practical, application. But what they learned was only from books (or at least mostly from books).

Their degrees, of course, were not accredited, nor will they ever be. How could they be? We didn't have a library with tens of thousands of volumes (although we subscribed to all sorts of amazing onlines services that gave them access to millions of volumes, but none that you could "touch" to show someone from an accrediting association). Perhaps equally important, we didn't have a football team. I'm kidding, but you get the point. We didn't walk like a duck or quack like a duck, so we could never be accredited by any association made up of, well... ducks. We were too different, too radical, and would never be accepted by mainstream academia.

But as I think about it now, several years later, that's as it should be. No matter how well we did what we did, it was and always will be qualitatively a much different thing than what traditional higher education is or ought to be. There is only so much you can learn from books.

At the graduate level, online education certainly offers an interesting, or at least different, alternative for students who are mature and highly self motivated. At the undergraduate level, I suspect it would be much more difficult to maintain quality control standards. In my experience in the real world classroom, I've found that younger people (on average) are simply not mature enough to be able to: 1) figure out precisely what it is they ought to be learning in order to advance in their chosen career path, or 2) self disciplined enough to actually do the necessary work, assuming they can figure out what they want to do to begin with. This is where traditional college helps them, considerably in my estimation. But again, I'm a bit biased.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #36 of 58
You can take your bull**** online university degree, and I'll take my word-class Berkeley degree. Let's see who gets the job!

EDIT: not a response to Wayne, but the OP

There is no job I could apply for in my field that does not require a degree.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #39 of 58
Taking out college would also take out one of the most important social education someone might experience.

My and I image a lot of people's college social experince were very enjoyable, can't imagine how that can be replace by online course crap.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't even want to get started on this issue... ah, but I suppose I should throw in my 2 cents, just for fun.

I'm glad you did bother to type it out as it was a very informative post. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no job I could apply for in my field that does not require a degree.

In engineering? Heh. Once you start working, you'll find that there are a whole lot of engineers by trade that aren't engineers by accreditation or education. Bill Gates ain't the only one.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...[collected wisdom]...

My post really was a bit over the top and uncalled for, more of an emotional reaction than anything else.

But, you had a crowd that was already motivated, already willing and able to learn, and one that already was in the field that it wanted to be in. The fires of motivation were lit under the burner, so to speak. I could certainly see the use in impersonal education in that scenario.

But at an undergraduate level, the vast majority of people are simply there to get their piece of paper. And yes, a lot of skills that people learn aren't really relevant to their profession later on. So, this kind of impersonal education, that requires maturity and commitment that originates from oneself, isn't going to work for the vast majority of your typical undergraduate students.

Maybe I think this way because I went to a state university, so the overall level of student there was lower. Certainly an Ivy League school would most likely exact a different attitude from its students - which would probably be there in the first place simply from the sheer amounts of money involved (I never paid a cent for my education while I was a full-time student, chalk one up for scholarships and not being a total idiot in school... of course once I had to drop to part-time to pay 20k a year for my medications, they took that away real fast). But in light of what I've seen, online, impersonal education is simply impossible for a school at the level of what I experienced (I went to Rutgers University).

But more importantly - college is centralization of higher education. It brings together the students and the staff, and it makes connections possible, connections that will later be used by those that go further in higher education and enter research themselves, or business, or any kind of medical profession, etc. It's precisely these connections and these opportunities which can't be as effectively made through online colleges, and that's also what was so sorely missing from a state school that has such a high student to faculty ratio. It wasn't until I hit my 300 and 400 level classes that I was in anything other than an impersonal environment, and it wasn't until this point in my education that I actually had an opportunity to engage in the type of work that I now want to be doing - purely through the personal connections made.

College gets the right resources to the right people. It also sifts through the sand of average students to pick out the gems - the best, the brightest, or very simply the ones who want it the most.

None of that will be equally easy with online education.

Sure, the current system is heavily flawed. The current standardized testing system is pretty lame, and don't even get me started on the current school GPA/grading system. It doesn't really reflect anything except time management skills and how devoted your parents are to you doing well.

It all needs to be revised.

But getting rid of it? That's madness.

As far as I know, there were programs during the Cold War era that picked out promising people from an early age, and put them through accelerated education programs, which then automatically placed them into key government research, political, and administrative positions. Some of the best and brightest professors I've had have come from such programs. And, also as far as I know, they aren't around anymore. Which, to me, is utterly frightening.

This next bit isn't going to make me fans, but what the hell, I'm not here for a popularity contest. IMO education shouldn't follow a "no child left behind" policy, and should be less concerned with just the average education level, but should mainly take into account the possibilities for exceptional individuals. It needs to give these individuals an opportunity to apply their exceptional skills, and it needs to be actually able to recognize them. Exceptional minds drive society, not a 1% increase in its average literacy level, though that's not bad too.

Hmm, I've been reading too much Ayn Rand?

P.S. Sorry for the rambling style, it's late, there have been many drinks, and I'm really tired
frown.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #42 of 58
I would just like to say that I don't see the current system as flawed. Really!

Well, with the exception of some degrees like Biology, Education, and Psychology, most of the rest hold credibility. 4 Years will teach them a thing or to. In the end though, you can get a 4.0 in college by doing a very small amount of work. And you can get a 3.6 in college by working your butt off in the hardest of subjects. The choice is still up to the student, and I think the level of student going into graduate school reflects the students that put in the effort to 'learn' in college.

There will always be those who are there just for a piece of paper, but don't let that worry you. College is serving it's purpose for those who want to learn! We should not correct the system to help those who just want a 'piece of paper' learn more by hurting those who are actually there to learn. The defeats the concept of higher education.

Take comfort in the fact that most graduate schools and businesses know what a 'pointless' degree is. Take med school for example. They get so many applications, most of them from bio majors. Being a bio major means nothing to them now-a-days, so it's a very strict admission into med schools.
So you see, our society knows what we can expect from college graduates, and in the end it's still up to the student to make something of themselves.

Sorry this probably doesn't make much sense.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #43 of 58
I think eliminating college altogether is not a good idea for all the reasons already mentioned. Mainly because universities constitute or are essential in forming knowledge clusters and greatly benefit from economics of scale. America's tradition of outstanding universities is one of the reasons it is leading the world in many categories.

However, I would say that university is overrated in many instances. For example, 3 years of Bsc in science is understandable but the same 3 years for a BA in business management? Unfortunately and understandably, college degrees is a good scanning tool for HR. Having a degree doesn't make you more suitable for a job in most cases (biology and business consulting?) but there's a good chance that somebody with a degree had to be smart to get that degree. Certainly, there could be cheaper ways of pre-selecting potential employees, but so far there are few and the race will be always towards even more degree and more awards.

I see this perfectly in China right now. Beijing alone has close to 100(!) universities and I doubt even a country as big as China needs this many academics. But getting a good job with a university is already difficult enough; without one: forget it. So now they compete for internships. The number of yearly graduates is climbing and so is the unemployment rate of graduates. I think most of these people could have simply learned a less prestigious but more useful craft, and benefit both society and themselves in a more efficient way. In any case, this is one of those large scale prisoner's dilemmas that I doubt anybody will break soon. I have a few high school friends who simply don't belong in university (and yes, they waste everybody's time and money) but still go there because anything less wouldn't get them a good job. Germany's university is one of the worst but what it does well is that it puts more emphasis on apprenticeships and less glamorous "technical universities", which I think is a good thing. Elitism is often bedevilled, but a more tiered system might not be so bad.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #44 of 58
I don't necessarily agree with the article, but I do agree with the OP's view of education value. Being an EE BS (in progress) myself, I can tell you the "BS" isn't exactly for Bachelor of Science. To be honest, an engineering BS will only tell people you know how to do some fancy high-school caliber math and that you know some physics trivia.

It doesn't seem like there's much room for exploring different career paths under this whole certification business. I'm speaking from personal experience (read: regret), but if I knew this was how engineering would be, I would've been a mathematician. This system seems to point toward a very static environment, where you are certified, find your niche whether it be high up or otherwise, and stay there until you rot from old age especially because:

Certification tests will not get rid of the problems associated with differences in intellectual ability: People with high intellectual ability will still have an edge. Graduates of prestigious colleges will still, on average, have higher certification scores than people who have taken online courses -- just because prestigious colleges attract intellectually talented applicants.

If people have to commit to their course of study (someone please correct me if I'm way off here), are they just doomed to mediocrity?

Also, there do happen to be people who don't do well in a test environment, independent of "intellectual ability".

I'm a bit worked up about aaron313's comments about the "world-class berkeley degree" as well. If engineering is really what you want to do then you'd know that the degree is only a petite foot in the door that needs to be backed up with experience to mean much of anything. What you're basically saying here is that your "world-class degree" is a "world-class brand name".

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't necessarily agree with the article, but I do agree with the OP's view of education value. Being an EE BS (in progress) myself, I can tell you the "BS" isn't exactly for Bachelor of Science. To be honest, an engineering BS will only tell people you know how to do some fancy high-school caliber math and that you know some physics trivia.

It doesn't seem like there's much room for exploring different career paths under this whole certification business. I'm speaking from personal experience (read: regret), but if I knew this was how engineering would be, I would've been a mathematician. This system seems to point toward a very static environment, where you are certified, find your niche whether it be high up or otherwise, and stay there until you rot from old age especially because:

Certification tests will not get rid of the problems associated with differences in intellectual ability: People with high intellectual ability will still have an edge. Graduates of prestigious colleges will still, on average, have higher certification scores than people who have taken online courses -- just because prestigious colleges attract intellectually talented applicants.

If people have to commit to their course of study (someone please correct me if I'm way off here), are they just doomed to mediocrity?

Also, there do happen to be people who don't do well in a test environment, independent of "intellectual ability".

I'm a bit worked up about aaron313's comments about the "world-class berkeley degree" as well. If engineering is really what you want to do then you'd know that the degree is only a petite foot in the door that needs to be backed up with experience to mean much of anything. What you're basically saying here is that your "world-class degree" is a "world-class brand name".

Did you just start your EE? it gets exponentially harder as you go into your 2nd and 3rd year. High school math and physics? I hope you had some good classes on diffeq, Calc3 and quantum physics, all of which are part of an integral set of fundementals for any EE.

In my time at Michigan Engineering, I designed a 64bit RISC processor in Verilog, designed/laidout/tapped out/fabbed (yes I actually had the physical chip, although not packaged) a 32bit PS1 clone (running the same ISA and I/O, but superscaler and faster), and designed a 3 stage BJT cascode audio amplifier (on breadboard...I can't solder
wink.gif
I feel those are some great experiences I can carry with me no matter where I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back