Is College Obsolete?
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the real world, people have bills to pay, children to feed, and an education may frankly be unaffordable in terms of time and/or money. There's a lot of untapped potential out there that an inexpensive education/certification method could reach.

So focus on cutting costs to public colleges. There is a reason that online classes aren't considered as good as real ones - they aren't. Doing something like this would not just inflate the value of a degree rendering a regular bachelors even more useless. As to the social issue, those people before college educations lived in a very different environment than we do today, close knit small communities and a general different social lifestyle.

They also didn't have the excuse to hide in their room all day.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 58
Going to university has its place in the world, it offers good experience. I enjoyed my university life but I don't see myself going back anytime soon. My most memorable subject is life drawing, online course can't offer the same experience !
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Charles Murray (AEI, Co-Author of The Bell Curve) seems to think so.

Your thoughts? For the most part, I agree with Murray.

Aside from the social aspects, the college educational experience can be easily and inexpensively be replicated and improved though the use of modern technology. Course lectures? Use Youtube style distribution. Textbooks? Digitize them. Collaboration? Moderated message boards and other forms of electronic communication are fast, easy, and effective. Ad hoc local study groups would also work. Assistance? As above, or through tutoring. Testing? Prometric and similar computerized testing companies provide superior test integrity to what any classroom could even attempt. Lab work would be the only tricky part, but shoot, setting up for pay labs space isn't that difficult.

Other than the wholesale slaughter of sacred cows that would ensue from implementing such a system, I really don't see why we haven't moved in that direction.

Marvin, no offense man, but that's called talking out of your @$$. I disagree with everything you said and every idea you proposed. UTTER RUBBISH!
Thank goodness those who make the decisions know how foolish those ideas are.

Again, no offense, but I would wager that you didn't spend a lot of time in the collegiate scene, did you? If you did, you'd instantly know why what you propose is both a bad idea and detrimental to the students education, as well as the general education system.

Man I hate this rubbish talk.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in college. Your ideas sound awful for anything that isn't a crappy liberal arts major.

An excellent liberal arts education is invaluable.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 58
Uh, yes, let's scrap college. Let's get rid of all research, academic and practical, altogether. Technological advancement, who needs it? Oh, you want trained medical personnel? Yup, that's fine, the next guy to operate on you will have his MD from an online university. You just bet that he has all the experience he needs. Yup, no worries there at all. Oh, what's that? Liberal education? You mean, like literature, history, and stuff? Who cares. We've got hip-hop and r'n'b! We've got lolcats and failblog and head-fi to read, we don't need Proust, or Kafka, or Dumas. screw** Dumas... what kind of a name is that anyway? Who reads that ****? Let's play some CS instead. And history? We've got History Channel for that. Never mind that it's a bunch of US propaganda, that's how it happened anyway. No lie. Besides, anything outside of the US doesn't matter anyway
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but I don't buy it. I'll take my live college education and get my Ph.D. Thanks.

P.S. revision of existing higher-level education is a very different story altogether. If the idea of the thread was "how can we improve higher-level education" rather than "let's get rid of most live higher-level education because what we have now isn't working for most people" then it wouldn't get that kind of a response.

I agree, the modern academic system is flawed. But, that's a different topic.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 58
I can see online/out-of-classroom education becoming an accepted alternative on specific fields but definitely not being a primary source of education for many years to come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take my education and get my Ph.D. Thanks.

Awesome! Which field are you in?

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! Which field are you in?

I may have given off a wrong impression - I'm not a Ph.D yet. I finished bachelors in biology, and will be doing graduate work in marine biology as soon as it's financially and socially possible. Still not decided on which direction to pursue - there's hydrothermal vent community work, coral reef ecology work (I've been doing some research assistant stuff diving in Indonesia assessing environmental impact from local fishing practices, etc), or maybe some completely different direction. I don't really know at this stage, but at least I've narrowed down some choices.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 58
I think the problem with uni is that you often get lecturers who have absolutely no experience in teaching, and they don't take responsibility for the subject they're running.

One of my lecturers this year is incompetent, but at least he tries hard to explain things to me so that they eventually make sense. My other lecturer, who teaches fluid mechanics (which is one of the cornerstones of mechanical engineering), is lazy and simply dumps online videos for us to watch (which she recorded last year). The tutorials are badly run, with too many students and not enough tutors, and the lecture notes are barely adequate.

I can forgive incompetent but dedicated lecturers. I cannot forgive lazy AND incompetent lecturers.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 58
See, the thing is, not many of my lecturers have a lot of industry experience. Most of them are just doing research.

Engineering at uni annoys the crap out of me because I can't see the applications of what I'm learning. I'm a very hands-on sort of learner in that I will remember a piece of theory very well once I've done an experiment or had a chance to experience a real life application of it.

Engineering is a very hands on sort of thing where I feel that you can only develop a natural intuition for it by getting out there, not reading a f$%&@(* textbook. Besides, 3/4 of the crap we learn now at university won't be used in industry as real life engineers solve problems very differently with vast access to different tools and references.

There's a difference between teaching someone to have an appreciation of old methods and teaching someone how to do something by obsolete methods.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #27 of 58
Dude I'm all for what Marvin has suggested. It is definitely very good and cost-effective alternative that wouldn't only revolutionize the way we learn but it would challenge colleges two develop new attractive methods and paradigms to attract students and take them away from these suggested virtual classes. So I support this and hopefully somebody starts it.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So focus on cutting costs to public colleges. There is a reason that online classes aren't considered as good as real ones - they aren't. Doing something like this would not just inflate the value of a degree rendering a regular bachelors even more useless. As to the social issue, those people before college educations lived in a very different environment than we do today, close knit small communities and a general different social lifestyle.

The worth of such a program would have more to do with the difficulty of the testing than with how the information is learned. And I'm not even sure that it would have a major effect on degree dilution. By continually expanding the student pool and manipulating the number of graduates through grade inflation, colleges are doing a pretty damn good job of diluting the value of their educations for their financial gain. Make the testing rigorous enough and it might even reverse this trend.

As for the social issues, roughly 40% of the high school grads never take a college course. And of the ones that do, only 1/3 of associate's and half of bachelor's students ever finish their degree. Practically speaking, there are a whole lot of people out there who didn't need college to teach them how to act. And real world feedback on the current higher education grads on suitability for employment is fairly terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7
Marvin, no offense man, but that's called talking out of your @$$. I disagree with everything you said and every idea you proposed. UTTER RUBBISH!
Thank goodness those who make the decisions know how foolish those ideas are.

Again, no offense, but I would wager that you didn't spend a lot of time in the collegiate scene, did you? If you did, you'd instantly know why what you propose is both a bad idea and detrimental to the students education, as well as the general education system.

4 years, 170 credit hours. Graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering, minored in Biology at Texas A&M. GPA was around a 3.6. Did pretty well on standardized testing before and during college. The Electrical Engineering program there was ranked in the high singe digits to low teens while I was attending. College overall was ranked in the high forties to low fifties. Yay for the lack of (racial) diversity.

College was a pretty fun place. But as far as education value, I found it to be highly overrated. I skipped most of my lectures since I didn't find that they were of high value (read: I was bored out of my skull), though the lab work was generally interesting. Your experience may vary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Uh, yes, let's scrap college. Let's get rid of all research, academic and practical, altogether. Technological advancement, who needs it? Oh, you want trained medical personnel? Yup, that's fine, the next guy to operate on you will have his MD from an online university. You just bet that he has all the experience he needs. Yup, no worries there at all. Oh, what's that? Liberal education? You mean, like literature, history, and stuff? Who cares. We've got hip-hop and r'n'b! We've got lolcats and failblog and head-fi to read, we don't need Proust, or Kafka, or Dumas. screw** Dumas... what kind of a name is that anyway? Who reads that ****? Let's play some CS instead. And history? We've got History Channel for that. Never mind that it's a bunch of US propaganda, that's how it happened anyway. No lie. Besides, anything outside of the US doesn't matter anyway

Interesting strawman.

Research is not the sole province of colleges as other institutions that can perform research. Research grants from the government and private industry would still exist and research institutions may even benefit by removing the drain on time that educating students exacts on researchers during their prime productivity years. Full time grad students would benefit much more as their time could be dedicated to learning and labwork instead of wasting their time doing scutwork for the university.

As for professional training? I couldn't care less how and where my doc learned his book material, as long as they can illustrate their mastery by scoring well on the USMLEs. I know a few docs and medical school students who never attended classes and got through the book learning years by either notes, hitting the books, audiotapes, or watching video lectures. Does it make them worse docs? No. Their real medical education was learned in their on the job training during 3rd and 4th years and residency. The hands on apprenticeship training is what makes them valuable, how they learned the basics is irrelevant as long as they know them.

Nor did anyone say that an education in the liberal arts should be dismantled. And really, what would you gain more value from, series of lectures and coursework from the best in the field or whatever you get from the random joes the local university picks up? IMO, it's not even close. And as for history, might just be me, but at the undergrad level that most people get, it's pretty basic and heavily tinted by whatever the prof happens to believe. Grading is screwed up as not agreeing with the prof on ideological grounds can often result in inaccurate grades. Self directed learning was far better than what I got in college.

In any case, I don't think anyone ever said colleges should be dismantled. You learn best in a college environment or need the maturing time? Go right on ahead and pay your money to learn there. But saying that college is the only place to learn "the right way" is frankly absurd.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhhh... this is beyond idiotic.

As an engineering major, I can say for certain that the only effective way to do it is in a university setting. Because everybody is from out of town, their homes are set up near campus, and it is easy to get together in groups to attack homework and exam studying. You can form a close-knit group that lasts throughout college, and can attend labs and classes together. I have no idea how I would have passed my classes without my school friends that I worked with in person.

I kind of agree with you. After going through several years of postgraduate education I can't imagine not having the mentorship I enjoyed while in training. What you learn in campus can not be replicated by on line courses.
This is a little of topic but it also applies to in home schooling. They do well in tests because often their parents coach them and score them. And end up with subpar social skills. I have been around a lot of home schooled kids and most of them ( and often their parents) are a little weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back