Is Calculated dBSPL is the Real dB I Hear?
Apr 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sunwoo1213

New Head-Fier
I'm Using ER4B in LG G2.

ER4B has 100 Ohm Impedance and 100dB/mW Sensitivity, G2's Maximum Output is 0.29Vrms.

I usually hear to music with volume 10, so If I estimate I use 0.19Vrms, I calculated that it's 95dBSPL.

It's quite large, and I'm curious that number is equal to the sound my ear actually perceives. 

Should I Turn my volume Down? To achieve 85dB, I should use only 0.06Vrms..

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 6
if 0.19v are really sent into the er4b, then 95db @1khz should indeed be the resulting value. but how did you estimate 0.19v?

also note that the value given is probably for nominal insertion which is pretty deep. if you don't go as deep inside the ear, the actual loudness is probably a little lower.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 6
At the maximum output level of 0.29Vrms, I calculated it would produce 98.5dB. The music that you will listen to could have an RMS level anywhere from 6dB below maximum for very loud and compressed music, to as much as 25dB below maximum for very dynamic music. So it depends on what you're listening to. Your software might also have a normalization feature which measures the average level and adjusts the volume.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 6
Actually There's No way to know how much Voltage is Sent to my Headphone in Particular Volume.

I've seen that table for some devices, but not for G2. It was just an estimation.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 6
you know the max output, so all you need to get an estimate is a male to male mini jack to go from the phone to your computer, and then use whatever tool giving a loudness reading(most recording software will, or some RTA). you just play a tone on the phone to make things simple, then you go from max output on the phone to your desired setting and just read the variation in db(or volts). I used that before I got myself a multimeter to make crude loudness calibrations for measurements. you can't trust the loudness value you will read, but you can trust the variation from one volume setting to another. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm Using ER4B in LG G2.

ER4B has 100 Ohm Impedance and 100dB/mW Sensitivity, G2's Maximum Output is 0.29Vrms.

I usually hear to music with volume 10, so If I estimate I use 0.19Vrms, I calculated that it's 95dBSPL.

It's quite large, and I'm curious that number is equal to the sound my ear actually perceives. 

Should I Turn my volume Down? To achieve 85dB, I should use only 0.06Vrms..

10/15 volume would not produce 10/15 of 0.29V. It would be much less (as power increases exponentially with volume)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back