Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Mar 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #61 of 499

Quote:
Good to know. Perhaps he just meant that it wasn't worth the price difference with the Khozmo, but I suspect that you will just tell me again that he told my wrong anyway, right?

Sorry I was reading on my phone and misread your statement - I thought you said that the RK50 was cheaper than the khozmo, which is definitely not the case. Certainly the Khozmo will have better channel matching, but the rk50 should be good enough that you won't be able to hear a difference. The main advantages of the rk50 are that it has 'infinite' resolution unlike the stepped attenuator which can get into a case where one step is too loud and the other is too soft. It also has a much better 'feel,' I much prefer a smooth turning pot to the clicks of the stepped attenuator. I can't comment on the sound since I have never heard an rk50 but the khozmo sounds just fine to me. Last I checked rk50s were going for over $700 so its a pretty massive price gap that definitely makes the rk50 not worth it IMO.

For the best of both worlds check out amb's delta 1 stepped attenuator - 256 .5 dB steps so it is plenty fine grained to get desired volume, can be used with a RF remote control, and can also read a regular cheapo pot into an a/d to set the volume so you still get the pot 'feel.' Plus it can be built for about the same price as a khozmo if you use reasonable resistors. Takes up quite a bit of space and requires an additional 5V power supply which is why I didn't use one in my KGSSHV.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #63 of 499

Quote:
The main advantages of the rk50 are that it has 'infinite' resolution unlike the stepped attenuator which can get into a case where one step is too loud and the other is too soft.

... and an advantage the Khozmo has over most other steppers is 48 positions.

EDIT: Well at least DACT and Goldpoint.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #64 of 499
I've never had that problem with either of my Khozmos, nor my 42 step Acoustic Dimensions.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #65 of 499
My khozmo was shipped with only two of four caddock input resistors. After a couple emails they mailed me replacements but it still seems QC is somewhat questionable.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #66 of 499
I liked the Khozmo that is in Pabbi's stat amp. It is the caddock version. Very clean sounding compared to my TKD 4CP.

Still i think the best option is to try out the Penny and GIles. At 350-375, its worth giving it a shot although channel matching is only decent. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #67 of 499
Seriously SumR have the most outrageous shipping prices for there transformers, must put alot of international customers off. They even offer Sea mail, prolly cause there Airmail is such a rip off.

Next build I am going to go local for my transformers.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #68 of 499

Quote:
Seriously SumR have the most outrageous shipping prices for there transformers, must put alot of international customers off. They even offer Sea mail, prolly cause there Airmail is such a rip off.

Next build I am going to go local for my transformers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Canadian mail...

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #72 of 499
Boards are complete, got everything except the Transformer, probably be waiting for that for awhile
mad.gif

Milling that front 10mm thick alloy was very tricky, lol.

I am building the 500v version with onboard heatsinks and PC case fans for exhausting the hot air of the case. Built some rails directly above the heatsinks on the channel boards, 4 x 80mm fans, might go to 120mm fans at some stage, those really quite ones
popcorn.gif

After all this hard work, let's hope she works.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #73 of 499
My boards are done too - did you not get your transformer from SumR?  I was told that if it wasn't done by today, it would certainly go out Monday. 

Still... doesn't active cooling kind of defeat the purpose? 

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #75 of 499

Quote:
I am building the 500v version with onboard heatsinks and PC case fans for exhausting the hot air of the case. Built some rails directly above the heatsinks on the channel boards, 4 x 80mm fans, might go to 120mm fans at some stage, those really quite ones
popcorn.gif

Noiseblocker multi-frames are my favorites, and I'm pretty sure they are available at both 80 and 120mm. Keep in mind that many of the so called quiet fans are not quiet at all with 12V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back