Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Dec 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #16 of 499
Quote:
The fact is that I am just deeply torn : if I knew that in a year or so there is a  good chance that I can get a KGSSHV (ideally from Head Amp), I think that I would not order the BHSE now and just wait a little longer. But if it was more likely that if a KGSSHV is ever build commercially, it wouldn't be before 2 to 3 years, then my decision would me easy, that is, I would go without further delay for the BHSE with no hesitation.

Given Justin's track record, I wouldn't personally expect a HeadAmp KGSSHV for another 2 years at least, if not more. You'd almost definitely get a BHSE sooner if you ordered one soon. And given the high resale value typical of HeadAmp products (particularly the BHSE), you could probably re-sell the BHSE for very low loss, if any.

Or another strategy - if you just want to wait for a KGSSHV and don't have much interest for a BHSE, you could probably acquire a lesser amp more easily, like one of the Stax 323S, 717, or 727 amps, or a used KGSS, or even an Exstata, if you really want to get as cheap a stop-gap as possible. I've personally heard the SR-007/Exstata combo and it wasn't bad - maybe not something I'd recommend long-term but for a stop-gap, why not.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 499
I believe KG is discussing build quality.  Justin does not skimp when it comes to quality, fit, and finish, and part of the BHSE cost is incorporated in the exacting job Justin does, and what a great job he's done with the chassis.

Given the several years of stat amp threads I've read, I'd be highly surprised if a commercial KGSSHV emerged anytime before 2H2013 at earliest.  If you really want a KGSSHV that badly, you should commission one, or build one with a friend whose comfortable around high voltage electronics.  One person built two DIY T2s with an experienced friend.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 499

Quote:

Or another strategy - if you just want to wait for a KGSSHV and don't have much interest for a BHSE, you could probably acquire a lesser amp more easily, like one of the Stax 323S, 717, or 727 amps, or a used KGSS, or even an Exstata, if you really want to get as cheap a stop-gap as possible. I've personally heard the SR-007/Exstata combo and it wasn't bad - maybe not something I'd recommend long-term but for a stop-gap, why not.

How does the Stax 323S compare with the 323II? Does it make much sense to go from one of those to the 727? 

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 499

Quote:

Given the several years of stat amp threads I've read, I'd be highly surprised if a commercial KGSSHV emerged anytime before 2H2013 at earliest.  If you really want a KGSSHV that badly, you should commission one, or build one with a friend whose comfortable around high voltage electronics.  One person built two DIY T2s with an experienced friend.

Thanks Elysian for your take on the estimated time. I guess I should relax a little bit and just go for something (Stax 727 or BHSE), which both I can easily resale when the KGSSHV comes out. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 499
Yes, I'd just get something now that drives the O2 reasonably well.  That's why I got the GES, even though my end-game stat amp is the BHSE.

It might be good to start with a lesser amp since it'll help you appreciate the better stuff all the more :)  Even with all the BHSEs coming out, I doubt that resale value will suffer much, if at all, given how it is an end-game amp.

I was also very worried about solid state vs tube reliability, replacement costs, safety, etc., but it's actually not nearly as big a deal as I had thought.  My setup has 20 tubes in it and I just use common sense when operating it.  Headamp also has a 3 year warranty, and Justin has been a stand-up guy in my interactions with him.  You don't want to get a KGSSHV and wonder what you're missing after you read 20+ pages of happy BHSE owners in audio nirvana.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #21 of 499

Quote:
Yes, I'd just get something now that drives the O2 reasonably well.  That's why I got the GES, even though my end-game stat amp is the BHSE.

It might be good to start with a lesser amp since it'll help you appreciate the better stuff all the more :) ...

...  You don't want to get a KGSSHV and wonder what you're missing after you read 20+ pages of happy BHSE owners in audio nirvana.

I am not sure that I want to start with a lesser amp (I am currently driving my 007 with a Stax 323II). As you may guess, I find this “shopping” time pretty annoying actually: somehow I just want to get something good (or even great, why not?), listen to music and forget about amps! I suppose that if I could get a KGSSHV now I would be quite satisfied with it and not think much of the 20+ pages of happy BHSE owners because I would just stop reading those pages, plus I would not have to worry about leaving the amp on all day long!  

On the other hand, since there is not KGSSHV in sight, at least for a near future, I guess that I would already notice a great improvement if I were to switch form my Stax 323II to a 727II and perhaps I would even be very satisfied with it for at least a few years, wouldn't I? Aren't there any happy owners of 007/727 out there? -- I assume that the people at Stax think that there flagship amps remain after all suitable for their flagship earspeakers (even though they are certainly certainly aware that they might not be the absolute best).

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #22 of 499

Quote:
On the other hand, since there is not KGSSHV in sight, at least for a near future, I guess that I would already notice a great improvement if I were to switch form my Stax 323II to a 727II and perhaps I would even be very satisfied with it for at least a few years, wouldn't I? Aren't there any happy owners of 007/727 out there?

The SRM-727A (unmodded) doesn't drive the SR-007mk1 all that great. I would recommend either sticking to your 323, or trying to find a used KGSS if you want something better. A modded 727 may also be a good option - I don't have any experience with that one.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #23 of 499
Switching from a 323 to a 727 isn't as straight forward as the latter being more powerful and thus better since their voicing is completely different.  Now the modified 727 is a solid improvement over a 323 but only about 10 of those out there... 

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #24 of 499
There is of course always the possibility of getting a new 727 and get it modified (by either one of the person you, Spritzer, and I don't remember who else, recommended). I am surprise though that there is not much difference between the 323 and the non-mofified 727. Hum, it seems that I always come to the same conclusion: just order that BHSE!

Meanwhile, I hope to be lucky enough to find a used KGSS. By the way, what is a good price for a used KGSS? Someone here wanted to sell a five years old KGSS for $1850 (with only one volume control and no RCA and 450VW caps). Should I jump on it? 

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #26 of 499

Quote:

They actually sound very different. The 323 is better with the SR-007mk1 in my opinion, but the 727 is better with the SR-009.

I guess what you said about mk1 is also valid for the mk2 in that case, isn't?

By the way, what is a good price for a used KGSS? Someone would sell me a five years old KGSS for $1850 or possibly less (with only one volume control though and no RCA and 450VW caps). Should I jump on it? 

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 499
For a five year KGSS, my gut tells me that that's on the slightly higher side for a KGSS, as used KGSS prices, over the last few years, have been around $1300-2100 or so.  You can use the search function to see previous KGSS FS posts over the last two years.  The past FS threads usually don't say how old the KGSS is, but they do mention the builder.

If I was in the market for a KGSS, I'd probably be looking closer to $1550-1700.  I'd be looking for one Justin built, as Headamp products have a good reputation for build quality and longevity.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #28 of 499

Quote:
I guess what you said about mk1 is also valid for the mk2 in that case, isn't?

By the way, what is a good price for a used KGSS? Someone would sell me a five years old KGSS for $1850 or possibly less (with only one volume control though and no RCA and 450VW caps). Should I jump on it? 

So it is actually quite expensive, considering that there is no RCA and only one volume control (which is not a problem per se, but should somehow lower the cost).

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 499

Quote:
So it is actually quite expensive, considering that there is no RCA and only one volume control (which is not a problem per se, but should somehow lower the cost).

The Headamp KGSS used dual volume controls in lieu of a balance control. In my view it's completely unnecessary, and annoying. Stepped attenuators track extremely well between the L/R channels, there's none of the nonsense that pots have of being off by several dB at the bottom of the volume range. Headphones don't have room interactions, so unless there's something wrong with your hearing, I don't see why you'd need a balance control, and having to make sure the two steppers are lined up every time you want to adjust the volume is just a PITA.

The Stax split volume control/balance is a way better system, but I never use that either. My KGSSHV uses a single balanced attenuator, and incidentally also is XLR only. I don't think $1850 is all that bad. There's not a huge supply of the things, and it's not as if you can just go order one from Headamp instead.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #30 of 499
The only time a channel balance on amps comes in handy is when you have a channel imbalance in the headphones which isn't totally uncommon with some electrostats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back