Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Dec 13, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #46 of 499
I am undergoing building KGSSHV, and I'm ******* proud of it.
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #48 of 499
Hi N3rdling
I was inspired by Chinsetta's work (asked some of the people at the meet how they liked his first set of headphones once heard).
bigsmile_face.gif
Needless to say the response was pretty much (really overwhelmingly) positive. I even went to the Thai sites to see what they 'heard' or how 'good' they thought they were.

I'm making 4x pair of diy electrostats. Checked it out for the last month or so and all the materials are on the way.  :wink: Some are already here, Fortunately it's not very hard for me to get access to one of the University CNC machines for a bit.

My plan is to do two drivers that are similar (as close as possible) to HE90 and Sr 007. ~

One HE90 variant, One 007 clone, (or as close as I can get) and maybe a couple of my own designs. Or if they turn out well, I'd like to use Koss ESP 950. After that, I'll likely design my own, but those are my thoughts as of now...

Plastic/wood may be the baffle/cup for the second pair, and the third pair may be all wood. I would like to:
HE90-Plastic - Second HE90 - improve somehow upon the first HE90 to more truly try to match the originals sound.
Sr007-Wood,
Koss ESP 950- Plastic/wood hybrid
A design or two of my own (maybe replacing and just buying the 950 so I have a genuine set...) - likely wood.

EricJ's also been wonderful in helping me out with any uncertainties I'm having with the formula for the headphones (just the particulars). To credit everyone who answered a question or two would just be too much, thanks for being so responsive.

Although busy... the goal is to have the headphones done by mid-January. And KGSSHV in a couple weekends (for me realistically) as soon as I have the funds... Depends on the next couple weeks. I'd like to start the stuffing (thanks for selling Tcp)! When Spring starts in three weeks... I guess the main problematic issue is a couple transistors and getting the trafo to my doorstep.

Something I'd like to share, the special plugs for the HE90 variant of headphone. EricJ made a few of these back these a while back and wanted to share a picture with me. The other headphones will likely get Stax plugs or something similar to this. But in the spirit of diy, I'd like to make the diy "HE90" this one. I may also etch credit to those who's helped and answered questions onto my KGSSHV..

Thanks for making this project quite straightforward KG! Livewire, Spritz, Douglas, and a host of others. From where I'm coming from, this is a great way to learn (even how to use solidworks/CNC. Diy CNC in the future?

To Wahara - Teh projects is epics. Thanks for sharing your builds because that is truly some inspiring piece of kit. I'm almost apprehensive,.... You are my idol and have largely made electrostatics surmountable for a first year uni student like me.
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #52 of 499
Power supply is finished.

Still waiting for some IXYS transistors to finish of the channel boards.

Khozmo Quad Attenuator

Still waiting on the Case and Transformer, should be testing soon.

Just like to thank Kevin for making this build easy enough to understand for general DIYers.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #53 of 499
I'm at about the same point - I forgot to purchase a 3k resistor, and am waiting on my transformer and LSK389s.  Otherwise things are going great!  Mine are offboard though, and I'm having a local guy drill up my angle brackets and heatsinks - should be a relatively unique build :D

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #54 of 499

Quote:

Khozmo Quad Attenuator

Still waiting on the Case and Transformer, should be testing soon.

Just like to thank Kevin for making this build easy enough to understand for general DIYers.

Looks nice. Is there any particular reason why you chose the Khozmo Quad Attenuator instead of the Alps RK50? I am just curious to know. Some people told me that the Khozmo Quad Attenuator is cheaper and better than the Alps RK50. Do you agree with that?
s

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #57 of 499

Quote:
I'm at about the same point - I forgot to purchase a 3k resistor, and am waiting on my transformer and LSK389s.  Otherwise things are going great!  Mine are offboard though, and I'm having a local guy drill up my angle brackets and heatsinks - should be a relatively unique build :D

Which 3K resistor are you going to use for the Bias? The Xicon resistor was out of stock from Mouser when I ordered. The Vishay resistor I ordered to replace it was spec'ed as the same rating.

Spritzer also recommended the CMF60.

"You can also use Vishay CMF60 and CCF60, both are rated at 500V for a 1/2W+ resistor." 

Quote:
Looks nice. Is there any particular reason why you chose the Khozmo Quad Attenuator instead of the Alps RK50? I am just curious to know. Some people told me that the Khozmo Quad Attenuator is cheaper and better than the Alps RK50. Do you agree with that?
s

I wouldn't know, but others have reported good things about the Khozmo and it's more in my comfortable price range.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #58 of 499
I ordered this, which is a Vishay.  So long as yours meets the spec requirements, it doesnt really matter which brand or range you go for. 

Quote:
Which 3K resistor are you going to use for the Bias? The Xicon resistor was out of stock from Mouser when I ordered. The Vishay resistor I ordered to replace it was spec'ed as the same rating.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #59 of 499

Quote:
s

The Khozmo is rated +/- 0.1dB for channel matching, from the first step to the last. No pot, including the RK50 can touch that. In terms of sound, I suspect the RK50 probably outperforms the standard Khozmo with Caddock resistors. The Z-foil versions may be a different story.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #60 of 499
All stepped attenuators should have that level of channel matching - it would be just stupid if they were off by more than 0.1db :D 

Quote:
The Khozmo is rated +/- 0.1dB for channel matching, from the first step to the last. No pot, including the RK50 can touch that. In terms of sound, I suspect the RK50 probably outperforms the standard Khozmo with Caddock resistors. The Z-foil versions may be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back