Is anybody else waiting to see if the Palm Pre can replace their iPhone/Touch?
Feb 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The App Store is highly overrated. You can't really do much with the existing apps and any truly innovative functionality will be blocked by Apple.

The good news is that the only way Palm is going to blow a hole into the mighty armor that Apple's mammoth app store has is to make it's own App store completely unrestricted. That means all sorts of things might pop up, such as a third party audio player (foobar-like features anybody?)

The fact that it's highly over rated doesn't change the fact that everyone and their mom needs to have the newest thing that Jobs has crapped on (and I'm no exception, I'm currently typing on my Macbook Pro and listening to my iPod Classic).

I have very little hope that Palm, of all companies, will be the one to blow a hole in Apple. Its track record is way to poor, especially in recent years, to imply even a possible chink in the white plastic juggernaut.

I'm not saying I hope the Pre to fail or Apple to completely decimate Palm, but given the way apple can sell tin-foil wrapped crap and Palm screws up almost anything they touch...I guess I'm just not too hopeful.

Time will tell.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #19 of 29
I would not trade my Storm for either of them. I had a Palm for a decade until I got tired of waiting for their upgraded system. BB is good for me. No thanks.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These specs alone make me want to see if the Palm Pre will replace the Touch/iPhone here on this forum.

If I can get the web, my phone, no reliance on iTunes-y software, no proprietary USB connectors AND good SQ in one sleek little package, then I'm going to going to forget all the other mp3 players in this subforum.

Whoever gets a listen on this phone in the next couple of months, please report back on the SQ. Until then, is anybody as excited as I am at the prospect of an iTunes-less all in one device with a real 3.5mm jack? (missed it by that much, G1)

well, if you want a phone, the iPod Touch won't get you too far! i would certainly recommend the pre over it.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 29
The moment it is on Verizon (6 months from now), I'm in -- wife too. No question.

I have to use Verizon for cell calls. And I need email on-the-go. I am addicted to Palm apps, except the Real Player which sucks. I need music. So I carry a BB, a Palm, an iPod, and a K-Razr moto. Plus an old-fashioned pager, and two in-ears (phone and music, different sizes, plus the moto USB-to-HP adaptor). This is nuts. If it rains, I get electrocuted. I never know what to stick in my ear (yea, I know your suggestion). Thanks heavens for iGo, so I need only one charger plus 4 tips.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #25 of 29
Listening to a pod cast on my Palm pre right now. The SQ is good on my shures. It definitely needs time to mature as a device. They need more apps. The iTunes sync is very nice to have though, great not to have to start all over on my music collection.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by stan11003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to a pod cast on my Palm pre right now. The SQ is good on my shures. It definitely needs time to mature as a device. They need more apps. The iTunes sync is very nice to have though, great not to have to start all over on my music collection.

Which shures do you have? I also have a pre (mentioned it in another post) and I have not been happy with the sound quality due to hiss, chirps, and tubby bass.

However maybe i just have a bad unit? My shures are the e4's

Thanks,S

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 29
I use to be a big in-ear headphone guy but my commute has gone from 90 minutes to 9. My trusty superfi 5 pros also broke recently so I just bought the best available option which was a pair of e110s. I haven't critically listended to them because I've been putting my enegeries into a tube amp based Klipsch systems with a M-audio sub. To my hearing everything is pretty clear but that was just a podcast. I'll slap the HD650s or ATH-900ltd on the pre soon though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 29
One caveat before I comment: I no longer obsess over the smaller nuances of audio quality, I'd rather just enjoy it. I find that

a) I acclimate to the sound signature of different devices, provided it isn't horrible, and

b) my experience tends to depend more on what headphones I use than anything. Primarily I use an iPod Classic (160gb... a bit bright for my tastes unless amped with my RSA Predator or run through the audio input of my car) and iPod Touch. Headphone-wise I find myself using Philips HP460s at work, Sony EX90's at the gym, and Darth Beyers at home. (I'll have to try the Pre with the Predator and the Beyers, because unamped the sound is a bit uneven-- highs seem a bit more rolled off than on my other players).

Honestly if my Pre had 16gb instead of 8, I think I'd forget all about using my iPod Touch and just keep the classic around for amping and housing my entire library (120+ gigs). The Pre is plenty enjoyable for my tastes.

One thought, if you're at all interested in testing one out: You could easily stream an mp3 or mp4 to the device to test audio quality (meaning, if you can put some music on a server somewhere, take your headphones, visit a store with a live demo unit, and give it a whirl).

Downsides: no scrubber in the music app, no gapless playback

Upside: this thing plays back Apple Lossless, even though it's not advertised anywhere as such. This means that, as a Mac user who avoided DRM'd music like the plague, I make no tradeoffs to use the Pre for music other than the limitation on storage. I don't have to convert any of my music to work with it. Plays back my AAC, Apple Lossless, and LAME mp3s just fine.

I suspect how you like this phone will depend on how well it pairs with the headphones you prefer. Being that this is NOT an iPhone, seems possible someone else could write a music app for it to provide things like gapless and some EQ. Here's hoping. (I think I'm also dreaming when I wish I could use my predator as the DAC for the Pre. Would be nice, huh?)

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #29 of 29
For those also waiting for anything but an iphone (like me), keep your eye on the Nokia N97 which is coming out this month.

I suspect that will be the beauty (32gb storage, with microSD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back