Is anybody else waiting to see if the Palm Pre can replace their iPhone/Touch?
Feb 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
These specs alone make me want to see if the Palm Pre will replace the Touch/iPhone here on this forum.

Quote:

# 3.5mm headphone jack
# 8GB of internal storage (~7.4GB user available)
# USB mass storage support
# MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
#Audio Formats: MPS, AAC, AAC , AMR, QCELP, WAV
# Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 Image Formats: GIF, Animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP

If I can get the web, my phone, no reliance on iTunes-y software, no proprietary USB connectors AND good SQ in one sleek little package, then I'm going to going to forget all the other mp3 players in this subforum.

Whoever gets a listen on this phone in the next couple of months, please report back on the SQ. Until then, is anybody as excited as I am at the prospect of an iTunes-less all in one device with a real 3.5mm jack? (missed it by that much, G1)

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 29
As an ex-palm fanboy and currently an Apple fanboy, I'm deeply conflicted on this particular issue after watching the keynote
biggrin.gif

The software stack (OS) is brilliant and the hardware is phenomenal (made by no other than the creator of ipod, Jon Rubenstein).. but I have plenty of doubt about Palm, the company. They will have to execute a LOT behind the scene (Developer support, Content negotiation, iTunes AppStore rival, etc) that after seeing their GARGANTUAN FLOP that's called the Foleo, I really don't think they can pull this off. Who knows. I hope they succeed.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 29
the only reason that makes me to never use iPod or any mp3 player of mac is because of the iTunes. i hate that software so much, is baffles me sending music between different machines.
undeniable, iphone is a very good phone with its system and many software resources. but so far, all phone's SQ is similar.
if like me for just listening mp3 easily, i use my n82 or psp.
for SQ, i will buy "full time" mp3 player which like MEIZU M6SL or some higher level player.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by wenzhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only reason that makes me to never use iPod or any mp3 player of mac is because of the iTunes. i hate that software so much, is baffles me sending music between different machines.
undeniable, iphone is a very good phone with its system and many software resources. but so far, all phone's SQ is similar.
if like me for just listening mp3 easily, i use my n82 or psp.
for SQ, i will buy "full time" mp3 player which like MEIZU M6SL or some higher level player.

I bought a Touch and promptly sold it. The iTunes software is awful and the Touch has too basic an interface for my tastes. I refuse to buy another Apple player until they include an MSC option, which they will never do.

The Pre looks like it could dethrone the iPhone for business users because it simply works better for business, and I'm sure that Apple is developing a Palm-like OS for their iPhone as we speak for release later this year, as Palm makes it easy to multitask and Apple makes it nearly impossible.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 29
I'd like to see a serious Touch/iPhone competitor, as well. It amazes me that companies like Microsoft are still playing catch-up, in this area. I'm hoping Microsoft amazes us with a Zune Touch/phone hybrid, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 29
Never cared for the iPhone, the T1 tried to fix some of the issues but doesn't really seem to have pulled it off. Having used the iPhone a bunch the UI has a lot of stupid quirks and the lack of a physical keyboard is a big negative for me. And iTunes is a big no-way from me
biggrin.gif

Palm has the experience and the know-how (if they apply themselves) to come up with killer UI and hardware. I am very curious to see how the Pre turns out. The hardware looks to be great and if the OS is good then I would be interested in one or its successor down the road (another 18 months or so) to replace my Blackberry.

I sure as hell don't care about its sound quality though, it's my phone/planner/email/internet, not my PMP.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 29
I'll definitely take a look at the Pre. Whether it replaces my iPhone... we'll see. I liked the early Palm and Handspring devices a lot. I still have a couple of them in a drawer and play with them now and then. Then they gunked it up with too much extra stuff and became clunky. If the Pre is done right, and well supported, it might be a serious competitor.

Do you honestly think Microsoft will try a phone? I'm no fan of Redmond, but I don't see how they could pull it off. They've got a long way to go to catch up to Apple, Blackberry and Palm. Though they might buy someone.

Also, don't count Apple out based on the current iPhone. The nex generation will probably have a much better chip and will be tightly aligned with Snow Leopard.

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see a serious Touch/iPhone competitor, as well. It amazes me that companies like Microsoft are still playing catch-up, in this area. I'm hoping Microsoft amazes us with a Zune Touch/phone hybrid, but I guess that remains to be seen.

I actually think the Pre is already better than the iPhone according to the hands-on videos, and that Apple is fervently working on a way to not be outdone by the Pre as we speak.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 29
The App Store is highly overrated. You can't really do much with the existing apps and any truly innovative functionality will be blocked by Apple.

The good news is that the only way Palm is going to blow a hole into the mighty armor that Apple's mammoth app store has is to make it's own App store completely unrestricted. That means all sorts of things might pop up, such as a third party audio player (foobar-like features anybody?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back