Is anybody actually 100% satisfied with their headphones?
Apr 10, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #46 of 76
From my experiences in life, absolute satisfaction is absolutely impossible. Everyone has even the most minute gripes here and there. It's when yoiu stop noticing that you gripe or need to about things that absolute satisfaction is attained. Crap, I just fixed(or figured out how to fix in the future) my Denon DCM350 that I got from goodwill for $10! I am WAY HAPPY!
I've got a big
etysmile.gif
on my face,
Abe

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #47 of 76
Happy with my headphones? Sure, at least @home - I'd have to spend a moderate fortune to get something better than my HD590s. The portable setup, however, is currently being revamped, with DT-231s and a Panasonic RF-B11 ordered... I need something that provides better comfort than KSC-50s (they hurt my ears after a while and aren't overly practical in transport), sounds better than the DE105 stock earbuds, does provide some soundstage (spoiled by my 590s
biggrin.gif
) and some isolation and is less battery hungry than a DE105 on FM. Plus, fairly unknown shortwave rigs are always a nice thing to review.
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
thats the whole problem with looking at this as a "hobby." if its a hobby it sounds like youre more interested in collecting something. ive never understood calling this a hobby. at least for myself its all about the music, not what "gear" i have. i found a system that does what i want it to do, so for anyone who says no one can ever be satisfied they are either delusional or caught up in the "he who has more gear wins" attitude. a hobby is collecting baseball cards or snowglobes, listening to and enjoying music is a lifestyle, not a hobby, at least thats where i come from. upgrading to upgrade and one up another person is just plain stupid, find something that works and stick with it, otherwise youll never stop and youll find yourself broke....

Different people have different views of what can, should, ought to be, and indeed, is, a hobby. To each is own, and there is nothing wrong with headphones as a hobby in and of themselves. This doesn't make people delusional, or think that they "win" if they have certain gear, nor is it "plain stupid" nor is there any evidence that people are going broke over headphones.

This kind of post really annoys me, and I don't mean to be picking on one person in particular, but I cannot help myself when I see such venom being spewed. Masking it with an occasional, "at least for myself" or "this is how I see it" doesn't really help (at least in my opinion
biggrin.gif
) because it reflects an attitude about any head-fi members who dare enjoy "gear" in addition to enjoying music. If that's a sin, I'm guilty as charged.

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #51 of 76
I agree wholeheartedly Wmcmanus. Part of what I like about never being 100% satisfied is that it brings me to this Board, which I enjoy very much.

If I'm ever 100% satisfied, please check to see if I'm still breathing.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #52 of 76
I think the only way to be 100% satisfied is to find the perfect setup for yourself now then stop buying new equipment and stop visiting these forums, which is unlikely to happen...
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #53 of 76
At this point, I am 100% satisfied with my HD-650's. With the proper equipment, they sound just perfect. In fact, I have upgraded and continue to upgrade all around them, but have not even considered upgrading the HD-650's. Personally, I like phones that don't add to the sound to make up for the rest of the equipment.
600smile.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by RotAtoR
I think the only way to be 100% satisfied is to find the perfect setup for yourself now then stop buying new equipment and stop visiting these forums, which is unlikely to happen...
biggrin.gif

There's always electroshock therapy, and if that fails a full frontal lobotomy will do the trick.

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Different people have different views of what can, should, ought to be, and indeed, is, a hobby.

I came to head-fi with the intention of owning only one portable headphone and one home headphone. But somewhere along the way it did become a hobby.

For me it's not about what gear I own, but just how much I enjoy music out of the different gear. Each is a different musical experience. And it's not about if the toys are "the best" or most expensive, I'm just curious as to how satisfying each can be.

I mean, here's an example - I've already pretty much maxed out my portable rig, but I just picked up a Sennheiser PX200 today because I just want to know how good and musically satisfying a nice, cheap portable alternative can be. I'm always looking for good headphones for friends, which means I'm always on the lookout for cheaper and more "reasonable" gear than what I've got. And those friends really do enjoy the recommended headphones (Sharp MD33's for one, Shure E5c for another and the Qualia MDR-EXQ1 as a gift to yet another). Actually one work colleague just ordered the UE-10 Pro, because after reading about it in magazines, he saw I had custom fit IEMs and decided to go for it after we talked about it for a bit.

Actually, I've got one audiophile friend (classic vinyl/speaker man) who really doesn't enjoy headphones. He had the Cary 300SEI + Senn HD600&Cardas, but never was satisfied with it. I dunno if it'll do it for him, but I can't help but wonder if the AKG K 1000 with a slightly euphonic, "tubey" amp is what he's looking for...

Best,

-Jason

Apr 10, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #57 of 76
Hmmm...I gotta admit, after some noob anxiety and disappointments (Headsave Classic order got shut out, soulless A500's, opamp rolling, etc), I am pretty happy with my budget rig (Toshiba 4900 -> MixterX PIMETA with OPA627's -> DT531). It is really a huge pleasure to listen to, every time I listen.

I was running a standalone-modded Edirol UA-5 as a DAC for a few days, until it died (currently trying to find a repair facility for a modded unit
rolleyes.gif
). But although I look forward to getting it back, I'm pretty happy without it.

Is there something wrong with me?
wink.gif
I'm happy with my rig!

Of course, my curiousity to try K501, K240S, HD580, MS-1, SR-225, etc etc etc does not detract from my satisfaction with my current rig...

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Yes I'm 100% satisfied with my stax rig.

Stax rig!?!?

Is this a joke? If not, do tell!
icon10.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
For unamped use I have the K340, which is very close to the Staxes.

You are using the K340 unamped? That is completely insane!
tongue.gif

Invest in a good dynamic amp and these things will sound amazing. You might find your Stax headphones moving farther down the list.
wink.gif

I havent heard the Lambda Pro's, but I prefer my K340s when amplified properly over the SR-404s when driven by the SRM313.

PS. 100% satisfied here.
cool.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #59 of 76
I explored every headphone on the market that caught my interest and was not 100% satisfied, so I ended up trying a different approach. I sold them all, and built a bitching 2 channel rig.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with it, and probably never will be, but I prefer it to headphones strongly enough that I don't ever plan to use them again as a main rig. I might build a headphone setup to keep in my room for this summer only though as theres no room at my parents house for my speaker setup (not with my dad's 2 hifis and theater).

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #60 of 76
Post by Biggie:

Yes I'm 100% satisfied with my stax rig.
===========================================

I agree with philodox's comments! When did this happen?????
tongue.gif

Besides I can't see you 100% happy with any audio equipment for long.
However if this is true, I envy your ability to reach audio nirvana.
icon10.gif

Later ... Gord SW Ont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back