Is an Audiologist mold impression worth the money versus do-it-yourself?
Aug 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 41

Quote:
If you are going to spend the money on customs,  you might as well get it right the first time and have it fit correctly by going to a qualified audiologist.

That doesn't guarantee anything.  You can do things to increase your chances but still.  Ever heard of the qualified surgeon that cut off the wrong limb?  Exactly.  Honestly I'm just doing it because I'm curious and believe once I figure it out and get comfortable I probably could do better than a third party.  The only value of the audiologist for me would be the examination.  Just a personal choice not a universal recommendation.  

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #17 of 41

[size=x-small]I've been calling local audiologists asking for quotes but some of these audiogists (or maybe their secretaries) are stumped at what i'm asking for. Here's how I've been posing the question:[/size]

[size=x-small]"Hi, I'm looking for a quote to be fitted with custom earphones"[/size]

[size=x-small]...I then get a long pause on the other end. What exactly should I be asking for?[/size]

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #18 of 41
Ask for ear impressions. It shouldn't cost too much more than $50 or so. I would have no idea what you are talking about if you said that to me as well.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #19 of 41
Do one eyed men in dark suits often come up to you in the diner while you're pouring coffee and say your name ominously?

Quote:

[size=x-small]I've been calling local audiologists asking for quotes but some of these audiogists (or maybe their secretaries) are stumped at what i'm asking for. Here's how I've been posing the question:[/size]

[size=x-small]"Hi, I'm looking for a quote to be fitted with custom earphones"[/size]

[size=x-small]...I then get a long pause on the other end. What exactly should I be asking for?[/size]

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #20 of 41
In malaysia, an impression on one side of the ear only costs USD3.
And these guys are pretty reputable. they are supposed to be the best in making hearing aids and such.

So yes considering the costs, i would opt for audiologists' services than to do it myself :D

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
In malaysia, an impression on one side of the ear only costs USD3.
And these guys are pretty reputable. they are supposed to be the best in making hearing aids and such.

So yes considering the costs, i would opt for audiologists' services than to do it myself :D

Nice to see some fellow countrymen here. Dang, I made mine for $40 (both sides), guess I should have flown back and made it in Malaysia huh 
wink_face.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #22 of 41

Yes, there will always be a chance for something to go wrong or have something not fit correctly. There are no sure things in life, so you just have to play the odds and hope for the best!

Quote:
That doesn't guarantee anything.  You can do things to increase your chances but still.  Ever heard of the qualified surgeon that cut off the wrong limb?  Exactly.  Honestly I'm just doing it because I'm curious and believe once I figure it out and get comfortable I probably could do better than a third party.  The only value of the audiologist for me would be the examination.  Just a personal choice not a universal recommendation.  

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #23 of 41
Just to get this right, $25 for a DIY ear impression kit and than Jh Audio charges $400-13000 for micro audio componets. Dont you see a high profit margin. I think if i were to get the $400 ones JH should say ill give you 50% off, because all you are paying for are the micro componets.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #24 of 41

Quote:
Just to get this right, $25 for a DIY ear impression kit and than Jh Audio charges $400-13000 for micro audio componets. Dont you see a high profit margin. I think if i were to get the $400 ones JH should say ill give you 50% off, because all you are paying for are the micro componets.

I don't think JH Audio sells anything for $13,000.. LOL

But, just go to an audiologist, I am getting mine made by Dominick Servido, who BTW is only charging me $50, and I would much rather spend the extra $25 to have it done right. Just get it done by an audiologist, it is worth it so you don't screw up (sounded harsher than I meant it).

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 41

Quote:

?  Are you saying the cost of the phones is just components and the rest is profit?  Have you ever seen how customs are made?  There is a decent amount of manual hand work that needs to be done on each piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdwikZoXzA

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #26 of 41
nice of you to not include labor wages and other overhead costs in your cost calculation.

Quote:

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #28 of 41
Well no one said it was cheap as is the case with most niche products. If you want the highest quality be prepared to pay for it.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #29 of 41
If you call around its not that expensive. Mine was $25 or $30 bucks for an audiologist to do it. There impressions will be much better. They will go deeper and safer into your ear, which means it will sound better. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
$100 an hour is pretty good, isnt it. I have seen all the UE vids before.

I guess that means you'll continue to miss the point then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back