Is an amp worth it without an iMod?
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Would an amp be worth it without an iMod was my question, and it sounds like it is. Also, size is a big factor for me, so the Mustang is really my only natural choice for amps at the moment. Of course, it'll probably be at least six months or more until I buy an amp, if at all, so by then maybe I'll have more alternatives. I think remember hearing about an iQube V2 or something.

Amp w/o iMod? Yes, it worths it, especially in your case since IPC can't and don't need to be iMod'ed. The reason behind iMod is so that the signal route can be as short as possible to avoid all the cheap components used in previous generation of iPod, but post 5.5th iPod all use Apple own DAC which is already directly connected to the dock w/o all those cheap components, so there isn't any need to iMod it at all.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 32
If size is a factor, the iQube V2 is actually bigger, let alone the current one I own (easily the size of two 80gb iPod Video, stacked).

There are some smaller amps around, the Fiio sereis, iBasso T4, Xin Supermicro IV and other DIY CMOYs around. Those should fit your requirements.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 32
IMO, it is worth it to get an amp without an iMod. You get a "glorified" HP out line so it is kinda better, but a half-assed upgrade. (Came up with that off the top of my head).

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp w/o iMod? Yes, it worths it, especially in your case since IPC can't and don't need to be iMod'ed. The reason behind iMod is so that the signal route can be as short as possible to avoid all the cheap components used in previous generation of iPod, but post 5.5th iPod all use Apple own DAC which is already directly connected to the dock w/o all those cheap components, so there isn't any need to iMod it at all.

Wow, really? That's great news! Do you by chance have a link where I can read more about that? I'd appreciate it if you did.

Thanks for the help guys. I will definitely be purchasing some amp as soon as I can afford one (still need to research more, put aside money, and I haven't even begun researching choices for LOD cables yet, so that's a while off).

Actually, speaking of LOD cables, can anyone point me in a good direction to start researching them? I know absolutely nothing about which one I should get or what they cost. Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Wow, really? That's great news! Do you by chance have a link where I can read more about that? I'd appreciate it if you did.

Here you go:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ip...ie-rwa-256793/

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ip...ie-rwa-256793/

oh, not as great as I thought. Actually, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping that they didn't need to be imodded because they were already good enough. Of course, I just compared it to my old 5.5g, and to be entirely honest I think that the 5.5g sounded better than the classic. Given the fact that its in horrible conditions and only holds 30gb, its not very useful to me, but whatever.

All in all, it seems safe to assume that a good amp will give me all the sound improvement I'd be able to notice.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

oh, not as great as I thought. Actually, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping that they didn't need to be imodded because they were already good enough. Of course, I just compared it to my old 5.5g, and to be entirely honest I think that the 5.5g sounded better than the classic. Given the fact that its in horrible conditions and only holds 30gb, its not very useful to me, but whatever.

All in all, it seems safe to assume that a good amp will give me all the sound improvement I'd be able to notice.

He did state in the thread that they sound closser to an Imod than the 5.5 gen.
"The 6G iPod line-out sounds closer to the 5G/5.5G iMod with Vcap Dock than the stock 5G/5.5G line-out does"

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #23 of 32
ok, this is what I got, let me know what you think:

From the headphone jack, the iPod 5.5G sounds better than the classic. You're going to have a very hard time convincing me otherwise of this because I jsut tested it. then again, I only tested a single song, but still, it was noticable (Iris by Goo Goo Dolls) I'll test more later.

From line-out though, I'm more than willing to believe that the classic sounds better. In fact, I really hope it does, because I will be using this my amp.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #24 of 32
Everyones ears are different. I felt the 6g was better than 5.5 and earlier both hp out and line out.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 32
IMO the classic doesnt sound nearly as good as the 5.5G and thats even before DIYMOD. for me, with DIYMOD there's no contest. basically with the classic there is a direct line to what is IMO a crap dac. lower noise floor yes; better bass handling in stock form, maybe. but for overall SQ its a win to the 5.5G for me. I think its funny how that post by vinnie is always misrepresented as him saying that the classic is good enough that it doesnt need to be modded, when really what he is saying is that you just wouldnt stand to gain as much because there's not as much to remove from the signal path; and he clearly doent think much of the SQ. and clie-os sure there are no caps, but everything else remains pretty much. SMD resistors, inductors etc. just no caps so there is not a direct line-out from the dac; just less than before.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 32
qusp, in your opinion, is it worth it to get an amp for my classic? I could use my 5.5G, but I really don't want to as it has horrible battery life (made worse because it will be playing lossless music and it's old) and no where near enough capacity.

I know that everyone's ears are different and what not. I'm asking for your opinion because I want to know what you think, so that I can look at what a bunch of people said and decide for myself.

Also, as much as I'd love to sample an amp, I wouldn't even no where to go about doing that. Where would I go?

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #27 of 32
I think worrying about the mod and the difference between the 5.5 vs Classic is chasing very subtle benefits. But, I suppose that isn't unusual in audio...

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #28 of 32
Just buy it, or else you won't be able to feel sorry about your wallet later.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #29 of 32
As others have said, you'll see improvements. I run a classic through an iQube and it makes a noticeable and, to me, worthwhile difference. That said, the difference is less than with earlier ipods because the signal out of the HP in the classic is a lot cleaner than in the earlier ones.

You've got another option: send your 5.5g to Red Wine Audio and have Vinnie add a larger hard drive and a long-life battery when he's got it open to iMod it. You'll need an amp and a imod dock from ALO to make it work, but you'll still have a functional HP out when you want to use it unamped.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As others have said, you'll see improvements. I run a classic through an iQube and it makes a noticeable and, to me, worthwhile difference. That said, the difference is less than with earlier ipods because the signal out of the HP in the classic is a lot cleaner than in the earlier ones.

You've got another option: send your 5.5g to Red Wine Audio and have Vinnie add a larger hard drive and a long-life battery when he's got it open to iMod it. You'll need an amp and a imod dock from ALO to make it work, but you'll still have a functional HP out when you want to use it unamped.

oh wow, that's an option? That's basically the perfect solution, and no one saw fit to mention it? lol

how big a harddrive can he add, and will it mean replacing the back plate? (hope it does, because it's very scratched up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back