Is a Soundblaster Live! better than my on-board audio?
Oct 3, 2007 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sofakng

New Head-Fier
I was looking through some old computer parts and I found a Soundblaster Live! (Model CT4670) I also found an even older Soundblaster (Model CT4810).

Are either of these cards better than the onboard audio on my Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard?

Are they worth using at all?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 26
Yes they are, they don't have the capabilities of your current onboard. But have better sound quality.

Use them with the KX project drivers for best sound quality and control.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 26
I preferred onboard audio over my X-Fi card...sound quality was close enough, and not having to dick around with changing settings on the card and having the damn thing break all the time was worth the small drop in quality.

It's your call...the earlier soundblasters didn't have as many problems as the X-Fi, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I preferred onboard audio over my X-Fi card...sound quality was close enough, and not having to dick around with changing settings on the card and having the damn thing break all the time was worth the small drop in quality.

It's your call...the earlier soundblasters didn't have as many problems as the X-Fi, so it shouldn't be an issue.

You think the difference between onboard and the x-fi is small?
blink.gif

What do you have for cans? Because the difference between current "HD" onboard, the live! and x-fi is huge.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

This is interesting, what's your mobo (or the actual soundchip)?

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Err... Actually, it's the other way around. The X-Fi line-up was the first series not to incorporate forced resampling to and from 48 kHz. Plus, the true X-Fi cards have newer and better components than previous generation cards.

What OS are you using? Everyone seems to be having sound card problems in Vista...

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 26
live should be better than onboard, best way to find out is to try them out!

they were certainly better than onboard back in the day

Live! cards don't have digital outputs (except for live 5.1 Digital Entertainment) so the resampling issue is moot.

but yeah they also probably won't have 7.1 or whatever your motherboard might, but their stereo performance was ok. iirc they were quite bassy in the SQ department

and yes, use the kX project drivers

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Live! cards don't have digital outputs (except for live 5.1 Digital Entertainment) so the resampling issue is moot.

I thought that all of the SB cards resampled to 48 kHz for all outputs, analog and digital. Like, 44.1 kHz -> 48 kHz -> 44.1 kHz. From what I've seen, this is usually the reasoning behind using either the kX project drivers or setting media players to output at 48 kHz.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that all of the SB cards resampled to 48 kHz for all outputs, analog and digital. Like, 44.1 kHz -> 48 kHz -> 44.1 kHz. From what I've seen, this is usually the reasoning behind using either the kX project drivers or setting media players to output at 48 kHz.

You are correct.

ALL DAC data has a sample rate. Since the DAC needs a set rate.

The hardware of the live! have a built in upsampler that sampled EVERYTHING to 48khz. This resampler was of very poor quality.

So it is better to use a software resampler like foobar with SSRC and sample it to 48khz to avoid the hardware resampler.

The KX project drivers though just switch the front output to the rear output jacks. Because the rear output jacks use a better quality Phillips Codec. The KX drivers can be set up to software upsample all audio going to a specific channel. but does not do that by default.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 26
When I say "problems" I mean as int he card don't work no more...I've had two X-Fi's (gamer and platinum) and both took a dump on me after a month or two.

As for sounding better, the difference is negligible IMO. Better? Sure...but not worth the $100+ you're paying, plus the crappy service from creative. You won't notice much (if any) noise from current onboard sound. It's not like the old mobo's where the onboard sound was hideous, at best. My mobo has Realtek ALC883.

Of course getting a good sound card will yield VERY noticeable results, but I can't say the same for X-Fi's. I will say that earlier soundblaster cards are much better then the X-Fi, as they don't have the popping issue, and just all around sound better. Even with all the Crystallizer crap and such turned off, the sound I got was...lame. I use XP Pro, as well, so it wasn't a driver issue.

I have SR125's, BTW. And I also use an X-Meridian sound card. It certainly yields better sound then onboard.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 26
After using Live!, onboard AC885, and a X-fi all with the same equipment, at the same time.

I can clearly say not only does the x-fi measure better than all of them, it sounds much better.

Even the Live! still sounded better than the onboard by quite a bit.

I don't think the problem is your cards, I think it is you, and how you set them up.

Just how you said it isn't driver issues because you use XP leads me to believe you do not know how to properly clean old drivers off when installing new ones.

As for the popping, that was fixed with drivers many months ago.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After using Live!, onboard AC885, and a X-fi all with the same equipment, at the same time.

I can clearly say not only does the x-fi measure better than all of them, it sounds much better.

Even the Live! still sounded better than the onboard by quite a bit.

I don't think the problem is your cards, I think it is you, and how you set them up.

Just how you said it isn't driver issues because you use XP leads me to believe you do not know how to properly clean old drivers off when installing new ones.

As for the popping, that was fixed with drivers many months ago.

Please don't tell me if I am doing something wrong...I am aware of how to properly clean old drivers. And considering it was installed on a fresh reformat (hell, the whole computer was brand new), it wasn't a driver issue.

I also had the problem after the updated drivers. I tried all 3 PCI slots, and every driver revision available. Still popping. Wasn't a clipping issue as it happened at low levels as well.

Don't tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I am/am not hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back