Is a Soundblaster Live! better than my on-board audio?
Oct 4, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't tell me if I am doing something wrong...I am aware of how to properly clean old drivers. And considering it was installed on a fresh reformat (hell, the whole computer was brand new), it wasn't a driver issue.

I also had the problem after the updated drivers. I tried all 3 PCI slots, and every driver revision available. Still popping. Wasn't a clipping issue as it happened at low levels as well.

Don't tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I am/am not hearing.

That's fine, but besides a few cases such as the NF3 soundstorm, nearly 100% of people will choose the X-Fi as a leap from the Live! as a leap from most Onboard audio (live! vs nf3 soundstorm onboard being the exception, x-fi is still a leap). Especially after having weeks to settle on each.

5 of my clan members have upgraded to the X-Fi, including myself. NONE of them have had any problems. They all get the newest drivers first thing, but still, the early days of crackling are long gone for nearly everyone.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Realtek HD chips are pretty good, as good as the live. If you have one of those, get an audigy 2 and up instead

No they aren't.

I used to run both, at ran them at the same time, not only does the Live! sound much better, it measures MUCH better.

These are tests results I have run, same setup, same settings. The AC885 was using the latest drivers, and the Live! was using the KX drivers.

Also note, the Live! measures much better when it is run at its native sample rate of 48KHz, these tests were done at 16bit and 44.1Khz

AC885
AC885.jpg

Live!

Live.jpg

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 26
I don't think you understand what I'm saying...I realize the Live! and X-Fi sound better...but it's the overall cost of the card, plus dealing with all the problems that seem to come with creative cards. My onboard audio worked. End of story. Never had nay hiccups. I had to RMA both my creative cards (the platinum was returned twice), for varying reasons. They may work fine now...but they didn't when I had them. I was on the creative support forums for a while...and my problems weren't just with me.

For me, onboard is a better solution as it generally costs less (good onboard chips come with most mobo's today), has fewer problems, and can give out comparable sound. The small hit in sound quality is worth the ease of use, IMO.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying...I realize the Live! and X-Fi sound better...but it's the overall cost of the card, plus dealing with all the problems that seem to come with creative cards. My onboard audio worked. End of story. Never had nay hiccups. I had to RMA both my creative cards (the platinum was returned twice), for varying reasons. They may work fine now...but they didn't when I had them. I was on the creative support forums for a while...and my problems weren't just with me.

For me, onboard is a better solution as it generally costs less (good onboard chips come with most mobo's today), has fewer problems, and can give out comparable sound. The small hit in sound quality is worth the ease of use, IMO.

I think you might be on the wrong forum if you think the increase in sound quality the x-fi gives over onboard isn't worth it.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Oh, so opinions aren't allowed here?

My bad...I'll leave...

No, but if your opinion is that the increase in sound quality isn't worth it when you already own the product, especially the big increase. T

In the sense that people here go to great lengths for small increases in sound quality.

So you can see why advocating the use of poor onboard sound won't be well received.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #22 of 26
This thread seems to have derailed a bit from my original post
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried using my SB Live! with the kX audio drivers and the volume was very low. I'd say it was about 1/2 the volume of my onboard sound.

I'm pretty sure I had every volume setting maxxed but the volume was still very, very low. (compared to my onboard sound).

Could I have been doing something wrong?

I'd really like to get an X-Fi card but I just don't have $75 or $100 laying around... (espicially since I just bought a pair of DT770s)

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread seems to have derailed a bit from my original post
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried using my SB Live! with the kX audio drivers and the volume was very low. I'd say it was about 1/2 the volume of my onboard sound.

I'm pretty sure I had every volume setting maxxed but the volume was still very, very low. (compared to my onboard sound).

Could I have been doing something wrong?

I'd really like to get an X-Fi card but I just don't have $75 or $100 laying around... (espicially since I just bought a pair of DT770s)

Adjust the main output levels, and the master levels.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #24 of 26
Uh, I have one of the original SbLive!'s back when there was just Gamer and Music, no 5.1 stuff. And it has digital out. Also, I never had any problems with my Live!.

I remember back in the day on some systems there was a hardware problem with the Live! concerning interrupts or DMAs, I can't remember, but I never had trouble with that. I always ran Abit, back when they were good, and Asus boards after that. If you have some funky problems, I would suggest you try installing windows without ACPI and see if the problem goes away. It boosts performance across the board, anyway. Maybe the board you have doesn't handle ACPI well... though being an Asus board, seems like it should be good.

Oh, and as far as the "overall cost" of the card... an SbLive! won't cost you hardly anything, these days.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking through some old computer parts and I found a Soundblaster Live! (Model CT4670) I also found an even older Soundblaster (Model CT4810). Are either of these cards better than the onboard audio on my Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard? Are they worth using at all?

Your Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard uses the Analog Devices AD1988B sound chip
- new generation on-board sound chips are much more sophisticated than just a few years ago
- along with advancements in CPU, bus and clock speeds, comparison with older MB and board chips is most likely invalid
- you can see from the AD1988B datasheet, it's feature rich and specifications are not too bad
- Creative Live! and Audigy do have better specifications, but less features (do a comparision yourself)

Your question was a bit too "general" and you can now see why "opinions" differ widely...
Bottom line, since it appears can easily test with all your options, is to listen and choose what works for you and your equipment and most importantly, sounds best to you.

If you are really curious, try running your own RMAA tests and compare your "on-board" with Live! and Audigy.
RMAA v6.0.6: http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml
RMAA Live!/Audigy test results to compare against: http://audio.rightmark.org/test_results.shtml
RMAA Test Guides: http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

Output drive varies widely with soundcards/chips and with wide variances in headphone impedances, it causes
sound-level issues. Common error is to assume headphones/amps that "worked with my last" soundcard/chip, therefore, it should produce the same sound-level with my new soundcard/chip. For example, the AD1988 chip has three seperate headphone amplifiers to support 7.1 surround Sound-Plus Independent Headphones drive. It might provide higher headphone drive output, compared to Live! and Audigy.

FYI:
- DT770: Nominal impedance acc. to IEC 60268-7: 250ohms; Power handling capacity: 100mW
- AD1988 drive spec is 20mw into 32ohms
- not sure what the headphone drive levels are for Live! and Audigy (deinstalled and sold off)

Parting shot:
Better quality soundcard or external DAC and/or headphone amp will highlight your DT770's performance capabilities... Start saving and welcome to the "money-burning" pursuit of sound excellence....

REF:
Analog Devices AD1988B Datasheet:
http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD1988B,00.html

Competitive FAQ:
http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/st...mpetition.html

DT770 Datasheet:
http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/down...DT770_DB_E.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back